command syntax - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on command syntax - IBM AS400 ; We just got a new 515 In the past we could type "DP" and see all spool files (not D SPACE P) We can't type that command now, the vendor says that was specific to a System36 environment. They tell ...

  1. command syntax

    We just got a new 515
    In the past we could type "DP" and see all spool files (not D SPACE P)

    We can't type that command now, the vendor says that was specific to a
    System36 environment.

    They tell us we now have to type "wrksplf select(*all)"

    I do not really want our users to start getting heavy on the CL.

    Is there a way I can do something so we can still type DP and have it
    kick that off?

  2. Re: command syntax

    Put this in QGPL/QCMDSRC member DP and compile it with the CRTCMD
    statement shown below.

    /************************************************** *******************/
    /* CRTCMD CMD(QGPL/DP) PGM(QCMDEXC) */
    /************************************************** *******************/
    CMD PROMPT('WRKSPLF Shortcut') PARM
    KWD(CMD) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(32) +
    CONSTANT('wrksplf select(*all)') PARM KWD(LENGTH)
    TYPE(*DEC) LEN(15 5) CONSTANT(32)
    Denny

    On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 08:50:21 -0600, dan@willcraft.com wrote:

    >We just got a new 515
    >In the past we could type "DP" and see all spool files (not D SPACE P)
    >
    >We can't type that command now, the vendor says that was specific to a
    >System36 environment.
    >
    >They tell us we now have to type "wrksplf select(*all)"
    >
    >I do not really want our users to start getting heavy on the CL.
    >
    >Is there a way I can do something so we can still type DP and have it
    >kick that off?

  3. Re: command syntax

    On Aug 2, 10:50 am, d...@willcraft.com wrote:
    > We just got a new 515
    > In the past we could type "DP" and see all spool files (not D SPACE P)
    >
    > We can't type that command now, the vendor says that was specific to a
    > System36 environment.
    >
    > They tell us we now have to type "wrksplf select(*all)"
    >
    > I do not really want our users to start getting heavy on the CL.
    >
    > Is there a way I can do something so we can still type DP and have it
    > kick that off?

    You could create a simple command called DP to what you want.

  4. Re: command syntax

    On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 08:50:21 -0600, dan@willcraft.com wrote:
    > We just got a new 515
    > In the past we could type "DP" and see all spool files (not D SPACE P)
    >
    > We can't type that command now, the vendor says that was specific to a
    > System36 environment.
    >
    > They tell us we now have to type "wrksplf select(*all)"
    >
    > I do not really want our users to start getting heavy on the CL.
    >
    > Is there a way I can do something so we can still type DP and have it
    > kick that off?

    You can create a command "DP" that calls a CL program that does WRKSPLF
    SELECT(*ALL)... Or as a compromise, change the default on the WRKSPLF
    command to make *ALL the default for the SELECT() option. Do your users
    normally want to see everyone's spooled files, or mostly their own? They
    may welcome the regular WRKSPLF defaults if they use their own files
    mostly.

    --
    6. I will not gloat over my enemies' predicament before killing them.

  5. Re: command syntax

    The following gives the method to effect recreate of a DP command as
    part of change management for a new release. This example uses QTEMP,
    so choose an appropriate library for the environment:
    dltcmd qtemp/DP
    crtdupobj wrksplf qsys *cmd qtemp DP
    chgcmddft qtemp/DP 'SELECT(*ALL *ALL *ALL *ALL *ALL) ASTLVL(*INTERMED)'

    Note: The above was done on v5r3 where there are only five elements
    on SELECT; regardless, all but the first element are *ALL on both releases.
    Note: Assistance level was specified in the example, because the
    SELECT(*ALL) is, as I recall, a poor performing function with *BASIC.
    Note: Other LPP [Licensed Program Product] commands since v5r4 may be
    'proxy' commands. The first time I was playing around with one of
    those, I broke something [accidentally deleted? I do not recall] and
    had to restore from another system since I did not have any backups of
    the LPP [via SAVLICPGM].

    Regards, Chuck
    employer

    dan@willcraft.com wrote:
    > We just got a new 515
    > In the past we could type "DP" and see all spool files (not D SPACE P)
    >
    > We can't type that command now, the vendor says that was specific to a
    > System36 environment.
    >
    > They tell us we now have to type "wrksplf select(*all)"
    >
    > I do not really want our users to start getting heavy on the CL.
    >
    > Is there a way I can do something so we can still type DP and have it
    > kick that off?

  6. Re: command syntax

    There might be several things worth considering when using the
    QCMDEXC method versus a duplicate object with changed command
    default(s), or a REXX or CL program as an intermediary.
    - The program QCMDEXC accepts two INOUT parameters, so a /constant/
    may be inappropriate. AFaIK this should not be an issue except for with
    use of auto/selective prompting or commands like CHGUSRPRF which use
    hidden input parameters which causes the command string to be rewritten.
    Any write-back from the CPP over the amount of storage reserved for
    the constant can cause storage corruption which may or may not cause
    visible problems in execution.
    - Using a fully qualified command name may be appropriate versus
    defaulting to *LIBL; e.g. QSYS/WRKSPLF, *NLVLIB/WRKSPLF,
    *SYSTEM/WRKSPLF, or ALTQSYS/WRKSPLF
    - All command parameters should be specified to avoid picking up
    changed command defaults in the command that is referenced; if that is
    desirable. All command parameters that have dependencies on other
    parameters should have the dependent parameter explicitly specified to
    avoid DEP or similar validation errors.
    - Benefit over CRTDUPOBJ is no requirement to create the object anew
    on each release, but individual sources for each customized *CMD might
    be more work to maintain than one script of many dlt/crtdup/chgdft. But
    for the lack of need to recreate again, there may be little need to keep
    each command source.

    Regards, Chuck
    employer

    Denny wrote:
    > Put this in QGPL/QCMDSRC member DP and compile it with the CRTCMD
    > statement shown below.
    >
    > /************************************************** ****************/
    > /* CRTCMD CMD(QGPL/DP) PGM(QCMDEXC) */
    > /************************************************** ****************/
    > CMD PROMPT('WRKSPLF Shortcut')
    > PARM KWD(CMD) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(32) CONSTANT('wrksplf select(*all)')
    > PARM KWD(LENGTH) TYPE(*DEC) LEN(15 5) CONSTANT(32)

  7. Re: command syntax

    Why can't they just load the S36EE???? It's still there, just not
    pre-loaded.

    dan@willcraft.com wrote:
    > We just got a new 515
    > In the past we could type "DP" and see all spool files (not D SPACE P)
    >
    > We can't type that command now, the vendor says that was specific to a
    > System36 environment.
    >
    > They tell us we now have to type "wrksplf select(*all)"
    >
    > I do not really want our users to start getting heavy on the CL.
    >
    > Is there a way I can do something so we can still type DP and have it
    > kick that off?

  8. Re: command syntax

    dan@willcraft.com wrote:
    > We just got a new 515
    > In the past we could type "DP" and see all spool files (not D SPACE P)
    >
    > We can't type that command now, the vendor says that was specific to a
    > System36 environment.
    >
    > They tell us we now have to type "wrksplf select(*all)"
    >
    > I do not really want our users to start getting heavy on the CL.
    >
    > Is there a way I can do something so we can still type DP and have it
    > kick that off?

    We have a number of "shortcut" commands here. Below is an example of 1,
    the "W" command. If you type in "W P" (or just "W" since "P" is the
    default) you see your spool files. Key in "W W" to work with writers.

    /* Command processing program is QCMDEXC */

    CMD PROMPT('Various WRK Commands')

    PARM KWD(OPTION) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(32) RSTD(*YES) +
    DFT(P) +
    SPCVAL((J 'WRKSBMJOB') +
    (P 'WRKSPLF') +
    (E '?WRKSPLFE') +
    (AJ 'WRKACTJOB') +
    (O '?WRKOUTQ') +
    (INV 'WRKOUTQ FPHOLD') +
    (MLB 'WRKMLBBRM') +
    (FP 'WRKOUTQ FP*') +
    (Z 'WRKOUTQ Z*') +
    (JQ '?WRKJOBQ QBATCH') +
    (JS '?WRKJOBJS') +
    (L '?WRKOBJLCK') +
    (SPLF '?WRKSPLF') +
    (U 'WRKUSRJOB *ALL *ACTIVE') +
    (UA 'WRKUSRJOB') +
    (FV 'WRKFAVCMD') +
    (ACT 'WRKSYSACT') +
    (W 'WRKWTR') +
    (WA 'WRKWTR *ALL')) +
    EXPR(*YES) PROMPT('Option')
    PARM KWD(LENGTH) TYPE(*DEC) LEN(15 5) CONSTANT(32)

    Another example, the "M" command.

    M: CMD PROMPT('Run DSPMSG Command')
    /* Command processing program is QCMDEXC */

    PARM KWD(OPTION) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(32) RSTD(*YES) +
    DFT(M) +
    SPCVAL((M 'DSPMSG') +
    (L 'DSPMSG ACCESS') +
    (O 'DSPMSG ORDERS') +
    (S 'DSPMSG SPCITMORD') +
    (IXS 'WRKMSGQ IXS/*ALL') +
    (MM '?DSPMSG')) +
    EXPR(*YES) PROMPT('Option')
    PARM KWD(LENGTH) TYPE(*DEC) LEN(15 5) CONSTANT(32)

    Some of the options are unique to our environment. With a little
    imagination, the possibilities for this are almost endless. They can
    even be allowed for limited users so users can do things like display
    their messages from anywhere.

    This is not an original idea of mine, I got it from someone online at
    least 15 years ago. The time it has saved our company is nothing short
    of amazing.

    HTH.

  9. Re: command syntax

    FWiW: In S/36E the /command/ is D to Display Session, or display the
    specified details according to the passed parameter. The OP did suggest
    awareness of the difference between their past use of a DP versus _D P_.
    The System/36 Environment feature is OPTION(05) of i5/OS.

    Regards, Chuck
    employer

    Kirk Goins wrote:
    > Why can't they just load the S36EE???? It's still there, just not
    > pre-loaded.
    >
    > dan@willcraft.com wrote:
    >> We just got a new 515
    >> In the past we could type "DP" and see all spool files (not D SPACE P)
    >>
    >> We can't type that command now, the vendor says that was specific to a
    >> System36 environment.
    >>
    >> They tell us we now have to type "wrksplf select(*all)"
    >>
    >> I do not really want our users to start getting heavy on the CL.
    >>
    >> Is there a way I can do something so we can still type DP and have it
    >> kick that off?

  10. Re: command syntax

    I was confusing thoughts on QCMDCHK when I made the statements about
    QCMDEXC for INOUT; and besides, CPF0005 documents that QCMDCHK prevents
    writing back more than what was input.
    The parameters on QCMDEXC are not output capable so there is no
    concern for command strings that may increase in length.

    Regards, Chuck
    employer

    CRPence wrote:
    > <>
    > - The program QCMDEXC accepts two INOUT parameters, so a /constant/
    > may be inappropriate. AFaIK this should not be an issue except for with
    > use of auto/selective prompting or commands like CHGUSRPRF which use
    > hidden input parameters which causes the command string to be rewritten.
    > Any write-back from the CPP over the amount of storage reserved for the
    > constant can cause storage corruption which may or may not cause visible
    > problems in execution.
    > <>

  11. Re: command syntax

    All-

    Since I am still a 'newbie' in the this programming commands..

    How do I create the source file and compile it? Is it under CL or is it
    under CMD?

    Gil

    Jeff Crosby wrote:
    > dan@willcraft.com wrote:
    >
    >> We just got a new 515
    >> In the past we could type "DP" and see all spool files (not D SPACE P)
    >>
    >> We can't type that command now, the vendor says that was specific to a
    >> System36 environment.
    >>
    >> They tell us we now have to type "wrksplf select(*all)"
    >>
    >> I do not really want our users to start getting heavy on the CL.
    >>
    >> Is there a way I can do something so we can still type DP and have it
    >> kick that off?

    > We have a number of "shortcut" commands here. Below is an example of 1,
    > the "W" command. If you type in "W P" (or just "W" since "P" is the
    > default) you see your spool files. Key in "W W" to work with writers.
    >

    > /* Command processing program is QCMDEXC */
    >
    > CMD PROMPT('Various WRK Commands')
    >
    > PARM KWD(OPTION) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(32) RSTD(*YES) +
    > DFT(P) +
    > SPCVAL((J 'WRKSBMJOB') +
    > (P 'WRKSPLF') +
    > (E '?WRKSPLFE') +
    > (AJ 'WRKACTJOB') +
    > (O '?WRKOUTQ') +
    > (INV 'WRKOUTQ FPHOLD') +
    > (MLB 'WRKMLBBRM') +
    > (FP 'WRKOUTQ FP*') +
    > (Z 'WRKOUTQ Z*') +
    > (JQ '?WRKJOBQ QBATCH') +
    > (JS '?WRKJOBJS') +
    > (L '?WRKOBJLCK') +
    > (SPLF '?WRKSPLF') +
    > (U 'WRKUSRJOB *ALL *ACTIVE') +
    > (UA 'WRKUSRJOB') +
    > (FV 'WRKFAVCMD') +
    > (ACT 'WRKSYSACT') +
    > (W 'WRKWTR') +
    > (WA 'WRKWTR *ALL')) +
    > EXPR(*YES) PROMPT('Option')
    > PARM KWD(LENGTH) TYPE(*DEC) LEN(15 5) CONSTANT(32)
    >

    > Another example, the "M" command.
    >
    > M: CMD PROMPT('Run DSPMSG Command')
    > /* Command processing program is QCMDEXC */
    >
    > PARM KWD(OPTION) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(32) RSTD(*YES) +
    > DFT(M) +
    > SPCVAL((M 'DSPMSG') +
    > (L 'DSPMSG ACCESS') +
    > (O 'DSPMSG ORDERS') +
    > (S 'DSPMSG SPCITMORD') +
    > (IXS 'WRKMSGQ IXS/*ALL') +
    > (MM '?DSPMSG')) +
    > EXPR(*YES) PROMPT('Option')
    > PARM KWD(LENGTH) TYPE(*DEC) LEN(15 5) CONSTANT(32)
    >
    > Some of the options are unique to our environment. With a little
    > imagination, the possibilities for this are almost endless. They can
    > even be allowed for limited users so users can do things like display
    > their messages from anywhere.
    >
    > This is not an original idea of mine, I got it from someone online at
    > least 15 years ago. The time it has saved our company is nothing short
    > of amazing.
    >
    > HTH.

  12. Re: command syntax

    Gilbert Noetzel wrote:
    > All-
    >
    > Since I am still a 'newbie' in the this programming commands..
    >
    > How do I create the source file and compile it? Is it under CL or is it
    > under CMD?
    >
    > Gil
    >
    > Jeff Crosby wrote:
    >> dan@willcraft.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> We just got a new 515
    >>> In the past we could type "DP" and see all spool files (not D SPACE P)
    >>>
    >>> We can't type that command now, the vendor says that was specific to a
    >>> System36 environment.
    >>>
    >>> They tell us we now have to type "wrksplf select(*all)"
    >>>
    >>> I do not really want our users to start getting heavy on the CL.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way I can do something so we can still type DP and have it
    >>> kick that off?

    >> We have a number of "shortcut" commands here. Below is an example of
    >> 1, the "W" command. If you type in "W P" (or just "W" since "P" is
    >> the default) you see your spool files. Key in "W W" to work with
    >> writers.
    >>

    >> /* Command processing program is QCMDEXC */
    >>
    >> CMD PROMPT('Various WRK Commands')
    >>
    >> PARM KWD(OPTION) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(32) RSTD(*YES) +
    >> DFT(P) +
    >> SPCVAL((J 'WRKSBMJOB') +
    >> (P 'WRKSPLF') +
    >> (E '?WRKSPLFE') +
    >> (AJ 'WRKACTJOB') +
    >> (O '?WRKOUTQ') +
    >> (INV 'WRKOUTQ FPHOLD') +
    >> (MLB 'WRKMLBBRM') +
    >> (FP 'WRKOUTQ FP*') +
    >> (Z 'WRKOUTQ Z*') +
    >> (JQ '?WRKJOBQ QBATCH') +
    >> (JS '?WRKJOBJS') +
    >> (L '?WRKOBJLCK') +
    >> (SPLF '?WRKSPLF') +
    >> (U 'WRKUSRJOB *ALL *ACTIVE') +
    >> (UA 'WRKUSRJOB') +
    >> (FV 'WRKFAVCMD') +
    >> (ACT 'WRKSYSACT') +
    >> (W 'WRKWTR') +
    >> (WA 'WRKWTR *ALL')) +
    >> EXPR(*YES) PROMPT('Option')
    >> PARM KWD(LENGTH) TYPE(*DEC) LEN(15 5) CONSTANT(32)
    >>

    >> Another example, the "M" command.
    >>
    >> M: CMD PROMPT('Run DSPMSG Command')
    >> /* Command processing program is QCMDEXC */
    >>
    >> PARM KWD(OPTION) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(32) RSTD(*YES) +
    >> DFT(M) +
    >> SPCVAL((M 'DSPMSG') +
    >> (L 'DSPMSG ACCESS') +
    >> (O 'DSPMSG ORDERS') +
    >> (S 'DSPMSG SPCITMORD') +
    >> (IXS 'WRKMSGQ IXS/*ALL') +
    >> (MM '?DSPMSG')) +
    >> EXPR(*YES) PROMPT('Option')
    >> PARM KWD(LENGTH) TYPE(*DEC) LEN(15 5) CONSTANT(32)
    >>
    >> Some of the options are unique to our environment. With a little
    >> imagination, the possibilities for this are almost endless. They can
    >> even be allowed for limited users so users can do things like display
    >> their messages from anywhere.
    >>
    >> This is not an original idea of mine, I got it from someone online at
    >> least 15 years ago. The time it has saved our company is nothing
    >> short of amazing.
    >>
    >> HTH.

    Commands, so use CTRCMD. Remember, the PGM parm is QCMDEXC, like this:

    CRTCMD CMD(W) PGM(QCMDEXC)

  13. Re: command syntax

    Jeff -

    thank you for giving me a starting point.

    I think I can make it from here foward...this is a neat little short
    cut.. and it does cut down lots of keyboarding...

    I wonder if we can take the next steps...Verbal Command? anyone done
    that yet?

    Gil

+ Reply to Thread