EMC DMX-III question re: AS/400 and V5R3M5 - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on EMC DMX-III question re: AS/400 and V5R3M5 - IBM AS400 ; Technical question: We have a rather uncommon setup on a number of AS/400 systems partitions in that they use external SAN disk, not internal spindles. They work pretty well, and some machines even use a load source emulator card (ie. ...

  1. EMC DMX-III question re: AS/400 and V5R3M5

    Technical question:

    We have a rather uncommon setup on a number of AS/400 systems
    partitions in that they use external SAN disk, not internal spindles.
    They work pretty well, and some machines even use a load source
    emulator card (ie. NO internal disk at all). 'D' IPLs, DR tests,
    system rebuilds are a little bit tricky and fun, but quite workable.

    The problem is that with V5R3M5 the AS/400-based EMC menus fail, and
    can/have caused unexpected IPLs when least expecting it! For example,
    when attempting to break external SAN mirrors on a production machine.
    We basically have to rely on our SAN tech. team to break/restore
    mirrors.

    I can't seem to get a straight answer from EMC re: patches/fixes for
    the AS/400. As far as I can tell EMC DMX-II and DMX-III drives are
    only theioretically supported on a maximum OS/400 level of V5R3M0. Any
    ideas anybody? All assistance appreciated. . .

    Regards,
    Greg Chijoff
    EDS Sydney Australia

  2. Re: EMC DMX-III question re: AS/400 and V5R3M5

    I believe M5 increased the minimum required size of the load source
    disk(s). If the emulator card can be reconfigured to present a larger
    disk size to OS/400, that might help.

  3. Re: EMC DMX-III question re: AS/400 and V5R3M5

    Thats not that uncommon of a config ...

    You probably have a bad combination of Enginuity (the symm os), LIC
    ptfs and SRDF TimeFinder Manager (the EMCCTL Library containing
    SYMAPI) revisions. Get EMC support and get directly to the L2 iSeries
    support group in the US.

    If you are running V5R3M5 and have PTFs MF38149 / MF38939, you have to
    use 5.3 or later of timefinder manager. IBM changed something to do
    with object digital signatures. GO EMCCTL/MAINCTL Option 4 to see
    what version you are running.

    If the sync/split menus are failing that would be my guess. The other
    thing i can think of is that timefinder isn't communicating with your
    gatekeeper lun correctly.

    TimeFinder 5.3.01 release notes indicate support for V5R3, V5R3M5, and
    V5R4.
    TimeFinder 5.4 was released 4/2007

+ Reply to Thread