New Power6 boxes ? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on New Power6 boxes ? - IBM AS400 ; Will the new boxes have V5R4 or will they get the new V6....

  1. New Power6 boxes ?

    Will the new boxes have V5R4 or will they get the new V6.

  2. Re: New Power6 boxes ?

    They will run on V5R4. So if you a re upgrading a current box it
    shouldn't be too bad. Once V6 is GA you will be able to order preloaded
    on new boxes. BTW the ONLY Power6 box is the 570 on i or p

    jacko wrote:
    > Will the new boxes have V5R4 or will they get the new V6.

  3. Re: New Power6 boxes ?

  4. Re: New Power6 boxes ?

    Correct sorta... that will be the LIC level. The OS will still be V5R4
    on the i570 Power6 system

    Emile wrote:
    > The i570 will run on V5R4M5
    >
    > http://uk.news.yahoo.com/cwire/20070...e-78e70a2.html

  5. Re: New Power6 boxes ?

    On Jul 31, 2:29 am, jacko wrote:
    > Will the new boxes have V5R4 or will they get the new V6.

    Yet another article and link to share:

    System i division splits; Power6 System i due out this year
    http://iseries.blogs.techtarget.com/...out-this-year/

    July 19th, 2007 by Mark Fontecchio
    Mark Shearer, the IBM System i general manager, announced some big
    organizational news when I talked to him yesterday. Big Blue is
    splitting the server division in two.
    High-end models like the 570 and 595 will be in a new Power Systems
    unit along with IBM's Unix line, the System p. Lower-end models like
    the 515 and 525 will be in a Business Systems unit focused toward the
    SMB market.
    Shearer also said that the first Power6-based System i server will be
    a 570. IBM will be announcing that next week. More Power6-based System
    i servers will be out later this year, even though Big Blue initially
    said the Power6 System i line would come out next year. Power6, of
    course, debuted in the System p server.
    IBM will also introduce V6R1 of i5/OS next week. One interesting
    feature that Shearer spotlighted on the new i5/OS will be the ability
    of customers to pay just for operating features that they want. I'm
    not sure exactly how it's going to work, but more details will
    probably come out next week on it.
    Finally, Shearer said that IBM will be transforming its sales team
    from "product-based" to "client-based." What that means is if you're a
    channel partner or buy directly from IBM, you won't have a System i
    rep, a System x rep, a System p rep, and a System z rep all knocking
    on your door. You'll have one salesperson selling you a mix of IBM
    products to presumably meet your overall needs.
    Cheers,

    Greg Chijoff
    EDS Sydney Australia

+ Reply to Thread