How to determine if a LINK if SOFT - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on How to determine if a LINK if SOFT - IBM AS400 ; It seemed to me that option 8 within WRKLNK would have indicated whether a link is soft or hard, but that does not appear to be so. Can someone help? Am I missing something in the WRKLNK option 8 ( ...

  1. How to determine if a LINK if SOFT

    It seemed to me that option 8 within WRKLNK would have indicated
    whether a link is soft or hard, but that does not appear to be so.
    Can someone help?

    Am I missing something in the WRKLNK option 8 ( =Display attributes )
    output, or is there another way to show whther a link is hard or soft?

    Thanks,
    Bluejay

  2. Re: How to determine if a LINK if SOFT

    jliesner wrote:

    > It seemed to me that option 8 within WRKLNK would have indicated
    > whether a link is soft or hard, but that does not appear to be so.
    > Can someone help?
    >
    > Am I missing something in the WRKLNK option 8 ( =Display attributes )
    > output, or is there another way to show whther a link is hard or soft?

    Try WRKLNK DETAIL(*EXTENDED)

    I.e., try variations shown by prompting the command with and use
    on the various parms to see what [help] describes.

    --
    Tom Liotta
    http://zap.to/tl400

  3. Re: How to determine if a LINK if SOFT

    il 25/07/2007 7.46, Scrive jliesner@gmail.com 40726184:
    > It seemed to me that option 8 within WRKLNK would have indicated
    > whether a link is soft or hard, but that does not appear to be so.
    > Can someone help?
    >
    > Am I missing something in the WRKLNK option 8 ( =Display attributes )
    > output, or is there another way to show whther a link is hard or soft?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bluejay

    If the link is soft from WRKLNK you'll see SYMLNK as the type of the
    object, if it's hard you'll see the type it's actually linking, then
    with option 12 you can see the linked object.

  4. Re: How to determine if a LINK if SOFT

    On Jul 25, 6:46 am, jlies...@gmail.com wrote:
    > It seemed to me that option 8 within WRKLNK would have indicated
    > whether a link is soft or hard, but that does not appear to be so.
    > Can someone help?
    >
    > Am I missing something in the WRKLNK option 8 ( =Display attributes )
    > output, or is there another way to show whther a link is hard or soft?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bluejay

    In addition to Dr Ugo's answer - All directory entries are hard links
    unless they are softlinks. So if you add a file to a directory the
    file is added to the disk & hardlinked to the directory. If you add
    new hardlinks then you are simply creating new pointers in a
    directory. Once all the hardlinks are broken the file is deleted from
    the fs & the space can be released from the disks. This may well leave
    dangling softlinks.

    Jonathan.

  5. Re: How to determine if a LINK if SOFT

    Much thanks to all. I glad "There's no such thing as a stupid
    question", otherwise this one surely was.

    Hopefully I was just too tired last night, because regardless of the
    DETAIL parm value, option 8 on a FLR, this morning, clearly shows
    TYPE . . .SYMLNK on the DISPLAY ATTRIBUTES panel (DETAIL(*EXTENDED)
    shows SYMLNK on both the WORK WITH OBJECT LINKS and the DISPLAY
    ATTRIBUTES panels).

    Jack

+ Reply to Thread