odbc connect to system i5 - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on odbc connect to system i5 - IBM AS400 ; I am using Crystal Reports and would like to know my options regarding the ODBC connection to the system i5. What product options are there for odbc connections to the system? Client access from IBM, host integration server from MSFT. ...

  1. odbc connect to system i5

    I am using Crystal Reports and would like to know my options regarding
    the ODBC connection to the system i5.

    What product options are there for odbc connections to the system?
    Client access from IBM, host integration server from MSFT. any
    others?

    is the ODBC driver of client access a no charge distribution item, or
    does the client PC have to have all of client access installed?

    will the .NET provider from IBM be based on the client access ODBC
    driver?

    thanks,

    -Steve

  2. Re: odbc connect to system i5

    Steve Richter wrote:

    > is the ODBC driver of client access a no charge distribution item, or
    > does the client PC have to have all of client access installed?

    Nobody else has commented, so I'll put something here to see if it's
    contradicted by someone.

    AFAIK, use of the ODBC driver itself does not require a client license.
    The particular words used in IBM writeups refer to "Data Transfer", and
    that term is used to speak about the file transfer function. When
    writing about ODBC, OLE DB, .NET and JDBC, the term IBM uses is
    "Database Transfer". At least in one part of the Info Center, "Data
    Transfer" is a separate bullet item from the others.

    I haven't seen any indication that anything but 5250 terminal/print and
    "Data Transfer" as in 'file transfer' requires client licensing. I've
    always had licenses available, so I'm not certain. I just haven't seen
    anything that says otherwise.

    I _think_ you can install just ODBC. Many iSeries Access features also
    require the 'Required Programs' parts to be installed, but I don't
    recall that ODBC does. One part of 'Required Programs' is the version
    checking and downloading of fixes. I'd expect license checking and
    similar/related functions to be part of it as well.

    > will the .NET provider from IBM be based on the client access ODBC
    > driver?

    I have no info at all on that question. Sorry.

    --
    Tom Liotta
    http://zap.to/tl400

  3. Re: odbc connect to system i5

    Steve, re:
    > is the ODBC driver of client access a no charge distribution item, or
    > does the client PC have to have all of client access installed?

    Client Access/400 or PCOMM [assuming you've got licensed copies
    installed] come
    with ODBC driver bundled. I've used this with Crystal Reports to
    connect to the AS/400,
    and haven't had any issues. Nice and stable (V5R2 and V5R3 OS/400).
    Regards,
    Greg

  4. Re: odbc connect to system i5

    Another option is to build your reports as HTML reports directly in your
    reporting programs, send them
    to your browser

    "Steve Richter" wrote in message
    news:1184767356.862903.96390@z28g2000prd.googlegro ups.com...
    >I am using Crystal Reports and would like to know my options regarding
    > the ODBC connection to the system i5.
    >
    > What product options are there for odbc connections to the system?
    > Client access from IBM, host integration server from MSFT. any
    > others?
    >
    > is the ODBC driver of client access a no charge distribution item, or
    > does the client PC have to have all of client access installed?
    >
    > will the .NET provider from IBM be based on the client access ODBC
    > driver?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > -Steve

+ Reply to Thread