HA Software - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on HA Software - IBM AS400 ; We are in the process of evaluating HA software. Does anyone have any experiences, good or bad, with iTera or Mimix that they would be willing to share. We have a 520 box and are looking at putting a 525 ...

  1. HA Software

    We are in the process of evaluating HA software. Does anyone have any
    experiences, good or bad, with iTera or Mimix that they would be willing
    to share. We have a 520 box and are looking at putting a 525 at an
    alternate site with either iTera or Mimix.

  2. Re: HA Software

    Amorz said the following on 03.srpanj 2007 6:15:
    > We are in the process of evaluating HA software. Does anyone have any
    > experiences, good or bad, with iTera or Mimix that they would be willing
    > to share. We have a 520 box and are looking at putting a 525 at an
    > alternate site with either iTera or Mimix.

    iTera would be better alternative for you if you have less time to manage
    it. Did you also look at Vision Solutions OrionHA ?

    --
    Dejan Rodiger - PGP ID 0xAC8722DC
    Delete wirus from e-mail address

  3. Re: HA Software

    Just as a side Note.. iTera, Mimix and Vision are ALL now OWNED by the
    Same Parent Company

    Dejan Rodiger wrote:
    > Amorz said the following on 03.srpanj 2007 6:15:
    >> We are in the process of evaluating HA software. Does anyone have any
    >> experiences, good or bad, with iTera or Mimix that they would be willing
    >> to share. We have a 520 box and are looking at putting a 525 at an
    >> alternate site with either iTera or Mimix.

    > iTera would be better alternative for you if you have less time to manage
    > it. Did you also look at Vision Solutions OrionHA ?

  4. Re: HA Software

    Dejan Rodiger wrote:
    > Amorz said the following on 03.srpanj 2007 6:15:
    >> We are in the process of evaluating HA software. Does anyone have any
    >> experiences, good or bad, with iTera or Mimix that they would be willing
    >> to share. We have a 520 box and are looking at putting a 525 at an
    >> alternate site with either iTera or Mimix.

    > iTera would be better alternative for you if you have less time to manage
    > it. Did you also look at Vision Solutions OrionHA ?

    No. From what we've heard, Vision is going to focus on either iTera or
    Mimix in the long run.

  5. Re: HA Software

    Amorz said the following on 04.srpanj 2007 1:26:
    > Dejan Rodiger wrote:
    >> Amorz said the following on 03.srpanj 2007 6:15:
    >>> We are in the process of evaluating HA software. Does anyone have any
    >>> experiences, good or bad, with iTera or Mimix that they would be willing
    >>> to share. We have a 520 box and are looking at putting a 525 at an
    >>> alternate site with either iTera or Mimix.

    >> iTera would be better alternative for you if you have less time to manage
    >> it. Did you also look at Vision Solutions OrionHA ?

    > No. From what we've heard, Vision is going to focus on either iTera or
    > Mimix in the long run.

    Who said that? They are going to focus on OrionHA and iTeraHA in the long run.

    --
    Dejan Rodiger - PGP ID 0xAC8722DC
    Delete wirus from e-mail address

  6. Re: HA Software

    On Jul 3, 12:15 am, Amorz wrote:
    > We are in the process of evaluating HA software. Does anyone have any
    > experiences, good or bad, with iTera or Mimix that they would be willing
    > to share. We have a 520 box and are looking at putting a 525 at an
    > alternate site with either iTera or Mimix.

    We tried both Mimix and iTera (before the recent mergers). We had
    Mimix setup, but in 6 months time we were unable to get replication
    running successfully. We have a number of work files that get deleted
    and rebuilt in short order, and Mimix would get totally confused. We
    then tried iTera. We found this to be much better, with much less
    management overhead. It still had problems with some of these files,
    but iTera had an automatic system that autmatically re-synched them.
    I also found the iTera support much more helpful in getting things
    working. While I can't say what the future is now that everyone is
    merging, based on my experience I would recommend iTera over Mimix,
    esp for small-to-medium size business. BTW: Is was also a lot
    cheaper.

  7. Re: HA Software

    On Jul 2, 11:15 pm, Amorz wrote:
    > We are in the process of evaluating HA software. Does anyone have any
    > experiences, good or bad, with iTera or Mimix that they would be willing
    > to share. We have a 520 box and are looking at putting a 525 at an
    > alternate site with either iTera or Mimix.

    Have you tried Data Mirror iCluster? It is pretty good too. Little bit
    more expensive than iTera. We went with iCluster as we also wanted the
    Data Mirror Transformation server for data repliaction with
    transformation. I would check Data Mirror out along with iTera.

  8. Re: HA Software

    Graybeard wrote:
    > On Jul 3, 12:15 am, Amorz wrote:
    >> We are in the process of evaluating HA software. Does anyone have any
    >> experiences, good or bad, with iTera or Mimix that they would be willing
    >> to share. We have a 520 box and are looking at putting a 525 at an
    >> alternate site with either iTera or Mimix.

    > We tried both Mimix and iTera (before the recent mergers). We had
    > Mimix setup, but in 6 months time we were unable to get replication
    > running successfully. We have a number of work files that get deleted
    > and rebuilt in short order, and Mimix would get totally confused. We
    > then tried iTera. We found this to be much better, with much less
    > management overhead. It still had problems with some of these files,
    > but iTera had an automatic system that autmatically re-synched them.
    > I also found the iTera support much more helpful in getting things
    > working. While I can't say what the future is now that everyone is
    > merging, based on my experience I would recommend iTera over Mimix,
    > esp for small-to-medium size business. BTW: Is was also a lot
    > cheaper.

    My employer has used Mimix for several years, and while
    there were some rough bumps in the road over the last
    year, they had more to do with the communications pipe
    than with Mimix itself. Mimix handles work files
    (including multi-member PFs) just fine, but more
    thought needs to go into the handling of them than most
    people typically want to give. In most instances, they
    probably should not be replicated at all, but our
    systems are such creaky legacy messes, with too few
    people to support them, that the analysis of what is
    really needed for HA doesn't get done.

    Where we have had trouble is in doing fail-over
    testing. However, that was much more due to poor
    planning and human execution than it was due to any
    inherent flaw in Mimix.

    The manager of the iSeries administration team was
    going to consider switching to Vision or some other
    product when the contract was up for renewal next year,
    but the acquisition has put paid to that.

  9. Re: HA Software

    On Jul 6, 11:07 pm, Jonathan Ball wrote:
    > Graybeard wrote:
    > > On Jul 3, 12:15 am, Amorz wrote:
    > >> We are in the process of evaluating HA software. Does anyone have any
    > >> experiences, good or bad, with iTera or Mimix that they would be willing
    > >> to share. We have a 520 box and are looking at putting a 525 at an
    > >> alternate site with either iTera or Mimix.

    > > We tried both Mimix and iTera (before the recent mergers). We had
    > > Mimix setup, but in 6 months time we were unable to get replication
    > > running successfully. We have a number of work files that get deleted
    > > and rebuilt in short order, and Mimix would get totally confused. We
    > > then tried iTera. We found this to be much better, with much less
    > > management overhead. It still had problems with some of these files,
    > > but iTera had an automatic system that autmatically re-synched them.
    > > I also found the iTera support much more helpful in getting things
    > > working. While I can't say what the future is now that everyone is
    > > merging, based on my experience I would recommend iTera over Mimix,
    > > esp for small-to-medium size business. BTW: Is was also a lot
    > > cheaper.

    > My employer has used Mimix for several years, and while
    > there were some rough bumps in the road over the last
    > year, they had more to do with the communications pipe
    > than with Mimix itself. Mimix handles work files
    > (including multi-member PFs) just fine, but more
    > thought needs to go into the handling of them than most
    > people typically want to give. In most instances, they
    > probably should not be replicated at all, but our
    > systems are such creaky legacy messes, with too few
    > people to support them, that the analysis of what is
    > really needed for HA doesn't get done.
    >
    > Where we have had trouble is in doing fail-over
    > testing. However, that was much more due to poor
    > planning and human execution than it was due to any
    > inherent flaw in Mimix.
    >
    > The manager of the iSeries administration team was
    > going to consider switching to Vision or some other
    > product when the contract was up for renewal next year,
    > but the acquisition has put paid to that.- Hide quoted text -

    in my experience with mimix, communication is issue, the re-synch is
    slow, but after i combine with Expand product for b andwith manager,
    the problem is solve

  10. Re: HA Software

    On Jul 2, 11:15 pm, Amorz wrote:
    > We are in the process of evaluating HA software. Does anyone have any
    > experiences, good or bad, with iTera or Mimix that they would be willing
    > to share. We have a 520 box and are looking at putting a 525 at an
    > alternate site with either iTera or Mimix.

    Hello. I have used iTera for years. The customer service at iTera
    was excellent. I would recommand them to Mimix anyday. And the price
    for the software is reasonable.

  11. Re: HA Software

    On Jul 3, 2:15 pm, Amorz wrote:
    > We are in the process of evaluating HA software. Does anyone have any
    > experiences, good or bad, with iTera or Mimix that they would be willing
    > to share. We have a 520 box and are looking at putting a 525 at an
    > alternate site with either iTera or Mimix.

    We're just installing / configuring Orion HA on a couple of LPARed
    i570 systems. . .
    Makes a different HA scenario to the current hardware disk local /
    remote mirroring
    with external EMC SAN disk a sector-by-sector hardware replication
    (complete with
    load source emulator cards!).

    Whilst both methods are vastly different, Orion HA gives more
    flexibility with 2-way
    replication of key libraries, all journal based. Nice menus, easy to
    navigate around.
    Regards,
    Greg Chijoff
    EDS Australia

  12. Re: HA Software

    On Jul 10, 8:53 pm, reditibulu...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jul 6, 11:07 pm, Jonathan Ball wrote:
    >

    > > Graybeard wrote:

    > > > We tried both Mimix and iTera (before the recent mergers). We had
    > > > Mimix setup, but in 6 months time we were unable to get replication
    > > > running successfully. We have a number of work files that get deleted
    > > > and rebuilt in short order, and Mimix would get totally confused. We
    > > > then tried iTera. We found this to be much better, with much less
    > > > management overhead. It still had problems with some of these files,
    > > > but iTera had an automatic system that autmatically re-synched them.
    > > > I also found the iTera support much more helpful in getting things
    > > > working. While I can't say what the future is now that everyone is
    > > > merging, based on my experience I would recommend iTera over Mimix,
    > > > esp for small-to-medium size business. BTW: Is was also a lot
    > > > cheaper.

    > > My employer has used Mimix for several years, and while
    > > there were some rough bumps in the road over the last
    > > year, they had more to do with the communications pipe
    > > than with Mimix itself. Mimix handles work files
    > > (including multi-member PFs) just fine, but more
    > > thought needs to go into the handling of them than most
    > > people typically want to give. In most instances, they
    > > probably should not be replicated at all, but our
    > > systems are such creaky legacy messes, with too few
    > > people to support them, that the analysis of what is
    > > really needed for HA doesn't get done.

    > > Where we have had trouble is in doing fail-over
    > > testing. However, that was much more due to poor
    > > planning and human execution than it was due to any
    > > inherent flaw in Mimix.

    > > The manager of the iSeries administration team was
    > > going to consider switching to Vision or some other
    > > product when the contract was up for renewal next year,
    > > but the acquisition has put paid to that.

    > in my experience with mimix, communication is issue, the re-synch is
    > slow, but after i combine with Expand product for b andwith manager,
    > the problem is solve

    We're using Expand data compression devices as well, along with an
    MPLS circuit, and throughput is good.

+ Reply to Thread