PASSRCD, KEEP and ASSUME - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on PASSRCD, KEEP and ASSUME - IBM AS400 ; Hi, According to the IBM documentation (V5R4), I can open a display file in a program, make an output operation and close the program. Another program can then make an input operation and retrieve all the values that were in ...

  1. PASSRCD, KEEP and ASSUME

    Hi,

    According to the IBM documentation (V5R4), I can open a display file
    in a program, make an output operation and close the program. Another
    program can then make an input operation and retrieve all the values
    that were in the previous screen from the previous program.

    To do so, however, we need the proper usage of PASSRCD, KEEP2 and
    ASSUME keywords. The "Application display programming" guide covers
    the topic in the chapter named "Passing data between programs".

    The problem is, even though I follow what's in the documentation, I
    cannot retrieve the screen values in my second program.

    Is there someone who could give me a good hint on what's missing in
    the doc, or what I can do wrong? Best thing would be some code sample.

    Thanks

    Jack

  2. Re: PASSRCD, KEEP and ASSUME

    Why would you want to do this?

    These features were put in there of System 3 (ca. 1979) programmers who
    were migrating to System/38 wodidn't under stand the concept of
    parameter passing. The AS/400/iSeries/I5 OS inherited these for
    compatibility with legacy programs.

    *MUCH* simpler to pass parameters. or even the *LDA

    "Jack" wrote in message
    news:1182087638.056745.229040@q69g2000hsb.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > According to the IBM documentation (V5R4), I can open a display file
    > in a program, make an output operation and close the program. Another
    > program can then make an input operation and retrieve all the values
    > that were in the previous screen from the previous program.
    >
    > To do so, however, we need the proper usage of PASSRCD, KEEP2 and
    > ASSUME keywords. The "Application display programming" guide covers
    > the topic in the chapter named "Passing data between programs".
    >
    > The problem is, even though I follow what's in the documentation, I
    > cannot retrieve the screen values in my second program.
    >
    > Is there someone who could give me a good hint on what's missing in
    > the doc, or what I can do wrong? Best thing would be some code sample.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jack

  3. Re: PASSRCD, KEEP and ASSUME

    Thanks for your advice. Even though it is a lot much simpler to pass
    parameters, there are occasions where you need to proceed in a
    different manner... this is such an occasion.

    Jack

    On 17 juin, 17:46, "Tim M" wrote:
    > Why would you want to do this?
    >
    > These features were put in there of System 3 (ca. 1979) programmers who
    > were migrating to System/38 wodidn't under stand the concept of
    > parameter passing. The AS/400/iSeries/I5 OS inherited these for
    > compatibility with legacy programs.
    >
    > *MUCH* simpler to pass parameters. or even the *LDA
    >
    > "Jack" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1182087638.056745.229040@q69g2000hsb.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > According to the IBM documentation (V5R4), I can open a display file
    > > in a program, make an output operation and close the program. Another
    > > program can then make an input operation and retrieve all the values
    > > that were in the previous screen from the previous program.

    > > To do so, however, we need the proper usage of PASSRCD, KEEP2 and
    > > ASSUME keywords. The "Application display programming" guide covers
    > > the topic in the chapter named "Passing data between programs".

    > > The problem is, even though I follow what's in the documentation, I
    > > cannot retrieve the screen values in my second program.

    > > Is there someone who could give me a good hint on what's missing in
    > > the doc, or what I can do wrong? Best thing would be some code sample.

    > > Thanks

    > > Jack

  4. Re: PASSRCD, KEEP and ASSUME

    On Jun 17, 8:40 am, Jack wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > According to the IBM documentation (V5R4), I can open a display file
    > in a program, make an output operation and close the program. Another
    > program can then make an input operation and retrieve all the values
    > that were in the previous screen from the previous program.
    >
    > To do so, however, we need the proper usage of PASSRCD, KEEP2 and
    > ASSUME keywords. The "Application display programming" guide covers
    > the topic in the chapter named "Passing data between programs".
    >
    > The problem is, even though I follow what's in the documentation, I
    > cannot retrieve the screen values in my second program.
    >
    > Is there someone who could give me a good hint on what's missing in
    > the doc, or what I can do wrong? Best thing would be some code sample.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jack

    I believe you also need the share(*yes) for the display file.

+ Reply to Thread