FTP TELNET PING - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on FTP TELNET PING - IBM AS400 ; I am having difficulty. The situation is that I have an as400 on ethernet *all servers started I can ftp and telnet to the 400 but cannot ftp or telnet from the 400 to the windows box, it is also ...

  1. FTP TELNET PING

    I am having difficulty. The situation is that I have an as400 on
    ethernet *all servers started I can ftp and telnet to the 400 but
    cannot ftp or telnet from the 400 to the windows box, it is also
    causing some difficulty with navigator, of which only about half
    works. As usual the messages are worthless.

    But here it is:
    Message ID . . . . . . : TCP10B0 Severity:. . . . . . . :
    10

    Message . . . . : Cannot connect to host 000.000.000.116 at
    address
    000.000.000.116. Try again
    later.
    Cause . . . . . : A control connection could not be
    established.
    Recovery . . . : Try the command again later.

    (the zeros are mine, I can ping this from the 400 but not telnet to
    nor ftp it from the 400, and I have not yet found any books on the
    iseries website that explains what to do?

    Would anyone care to give me some real solid hints?

    Ron

  2. Re: FTP TELNET PING

    qgenesist@hotmail.com writes:

    > I am having difficulty. The situation is that I have an as400 on
    > ethernet *all servers started I can ftp and telnet to the 400 but

    > Message . . . . : Cannot connect to host 000.000.000.116 at
    > address
    > 000.000.000.116. Try again

    This looks like your basic TCP/IP configuration is bad.

    Please list the IP-number, netmask and default gateway for PC and
    as400, and all routers between the two.

    --
    Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

  3. Re: FTP TELNET PING

    On Jun 13, 8:20 am, Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen
    wrote:
    > qgenes...@hotmail.com writes:
    > > I am having difficulty. The situation is that I have an as400 on
    > > ethernet *all servers started I can ftp and telnet to the 400 but
    > > Message . . . . : Cannot connect to host 000.000.000.116 at
    > > address
    > > 000.000.000.116. Try again

    > This looks like your basic TCP/IP configuration is bad.
    >
    > Please list the IP-number, netmask and default gateway for PC and
    > as400, and all routers between the two.
    >
    > --
    > Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

    Dear Thor,

    my pcs ip is 192.9.9.116 (the nines are the same across all and are
    not 9s really)
    the mask is 255.255.255.0
    dft gateway is 192.9.9.1 (passive firewall)
    under dns
    the primary is 192.9.9.1
    the alternate is 192.9.9.2 (the 400)

    I am not sure what to tell you about the 400. tell me what I should
    look at there.

    I can get to the 400 from the pc for telnet and ftp, but not the other
    way around, and i series navigator is not quite right either.

    you can reach me at my hotmail if you need more detail.

    Thanks Thor

  4. Re: FTP TELNET PING

    On Jun 13, 8:45 am, qgenes...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Jun 13, 8:20 am, Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen
    > wrote:
    >
    > > qgenes...@hotmail.com writes:
    > > > I am having difficulty. The situation is that I have an as400 on
    > > > ethernet *all servers started I can ftp and telnet to the 400 but
    > > > Message . . . . : Cannot connect to host 000.000.000.116 at
    > > > address
    > > > 000.000.000.116. Try again

    > > This looks like your basic TCP/IP configuration is bad.

    > > Please list the IP-number, netmask and default gateway for PC and
    > > as400, and all routers between the two.

    > > --
    > > Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

    > Dear Thor,
    >
    > my pcs ip is 192.9.9.116 (the nines are the same across all and are
    > not 9s really)
    > the mask is 255.255.255.0
    > dft gateway is 192.9.9.1 (passive firewall)
    > under dns
    > the primary is 192.9.9.1
    > the alternate is 192.9.9.2 (the 400)
    >
    > I am not sure what to tell you about the 400. tell me what I should
    > look at there.
    >
    > I can get to the 400 from the pc for telnet and ftp, but not the other
    > way around, and i series navigator is not quite right either.
    >
    > you can reach me at my hotmail if you need more detail.
    >
    > Thanks Thor

    qgenesist@hotmail.com

  5. Re: FTP TELNET PING

    qgenesist@hotmail.com writes:

    > my pcs ip is 192.9.9.116 (the nines are the same across all and are
    > not 9s really)

    Ah, so you manually replaced the 000.000.000. in your original
    posting. Please don't do that. If you are behind a firewall you
    should be immune to attacks anyway, and you throw away potentially
    useful information. It looks to me that my assumption that your
    configuration was broken, was based on this unmentioned alteration.

    But anyway

    > I can get to the 400 from the pc for telnet and ftp, but not the other
    > way around, and i series navigator is not quite right either.

    In order to telnet or ftp to any machine, the machine needs to run a
    socalled demon program which accepts connections and processes the
    information sent from the originator.

    Normally Windowsmachines do not have telnet or ftp daemons active,
    which is the reason why you cannot do this. Most likely the firewall
    in the PC ignores the requests completely.

    Perhaps you would like to say what it is you need to do, in case there
    is another approach recommendable.
    --
    Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

  6. Re: FTP TELNET PING

    On Jun 13, 10:58 am, Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen
    wrote:
    > qgenes...@hotmail.com writes:
    > > my pcs ip is 192.9.9.116 (the nines are the same across all and are
    > > not 9s really)

    > Ah, so you manually replaced the 000.000.000. in your original
    > posting. Please don't do that. If you are behind a firewall you
    > should be immune to attacks anyway, and you throw away potentially
    > useful information. It looks to me that my assumption that your
    > configuration was broken, was based on this unmentioned alteration.
    >
    > But anyway
    >
    > > I can get to the 400 from the pc for telnet and ftp, but not the other
    > > way around, and i series navigator is not quite right either.

    > In order to telnet or ftp to any machine, the machine needs to run a
    > socalled demon program which accepts connections and processes the
    > information sent from the originator.
    >
    > Normally Windowsmachines do not have telnet or ftp daemons active,
    > which is the reason why you cannot do this. Most likely the firewall
    > in the PC ignores the requests completely.
    >
    > Perhaps you would like to say what it is you need to do, in case there
    > is another approach recommendable.
    > --
    > Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

    how do I start these daemons in the pc?

  7. Re: FTP TELNET PING

    On Jun 13, 11:00 am, qgenes...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Jun 13, 10:58 am, Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen
    > wrote:
    >

    > > qgenes...@hotmail.com writes:
    > > > my pcs ip is 192.9.9.116 (the nines are the same across all and are
    > > > not 9s really)

    > > Ah, so you manually replaced the 000.000.000. in your original
    > > posting. Please don't do that. If you are behind a firewall you
    > > should be immune to attacks anyway, and you throw away potentially
    > > useful information. It looks to me that my assumption that your
    > > configuration was broken, was based on this unmentioned alteration.

    > > But anyway

    > > > I can get to the 400 from the pc for telnet and ftp, but not the other
    > > > way around, and i series navigator is not quite right either.

    > > In order to telnet or ftp to any machine, the machine needs to run a
    > > socalled demon program which accepts connections and processes the
    > > information sent from the originator.

    > > Normally Windowsmachines do not have telnet or ftp daemons active,
    > > which is the reason why you cannot do this. Most likely the firewall
    > > in the PC ignores the requests completely.

    > > Perhaps you would like to say what it is you need to do, in case there
    > > is another approach recommendable.
    > > --
    > > Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

    > how do I start these daemons in the pc?- Hide quoted text -

    i need to ftp to my pc from the as400 and get a *SAVF

  8. Re: FTP TELNET PING

    il 13/06/2007 18.00, Scrive qgenesist@hotmail.com 36787544:
    > On Jun 13, 10:58 am, Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen
    > wrote:
    >> qgenes...@hotmail.com writes:
    >>> my pcs ip is 192.9.9.116 (the nines are the same across all and are
    >>> not 9s really)

    >> Ah, so you manually replaced the 000.000.000. in your original
    >> posting. Please don't do that. If you are behind a firewall you
    >> should be immune to attacks anyway, and you throw away potentially
    >> useful information. It looks to me that my assumption that your
    >> configuration was broken, was based on this unmentioned alteration.
    >>
    >> But anyway
    >>
    >>> I can get to the 400 from the pc for telnet and ftp, but not the other
    >>> way around, and i series navigator is not quite right either.

    >> In order to telnet or ftp to any machine, the machine needs to run a
    >> socalled demon program which accepts connections and processes the
    >> information sent from the originator.
    >>
    >> Normally Windowsmachines do not have telnet or ftp daemons active,
    >> which is the reason why you cannot do this. Most likely the firewall
    >> in the PC ignores the requests completely.
    >>
    >> Perhaps you would like to say what it is you need to do, in case there
    >> is another approach recommendable.
    >> --
    >> Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

    > how do I start these daemons in the pc?

    From Controlpanel/administration tools/services or
    Controlpanel/administration tools/Telnet server administration.
    I fear (and pretty sure) that you'll not be able to use the standard
    windows telnet server from anything other than a windows client.

  9. Re: FTP TELNET PING

    il 13/06/2007 18.09, Scrive qgenesist@hotmail.com 40341048:
    > On Jun 13, 11:00 am, qgenes...@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> On Jun 13, 10:58 am, Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen
    >> wrote:

    >>> Ah, so you manually replaced the 000.000.000. in your original
    >>> posting. Please don't do that. If you are behind a firewall you
    >>> should be immune to attacks anyway, and you throw away potentially
    >>> useful information. It looks to me that my assumption that your
    >>> configuration was broken, was based on this unmentioned alteration.
    >>> But anyway
    >>> In order to telnet or ftp to any machine, the machine needs to run a
    >>> socalled demon program which accepts connections and processes the
    >>> information sent from the originator.
    >>> Normally Windowsmachines do not have telnet or ftp daemons active,
    >>> which is the reason why you cannot do this. Most likely the firewall
    >>> in the PC ignores the requests completely.
    >>> Perhaps you would like to say what it is you need to do, in case there
    >>> is another approach recommendable.
    >>> --
    >>> Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

    >> how do I start these daemons in the pc?- Hide quoted text -

    > i need to ftp to my pc from the as400 and get a *SAVF

    Have you got an ftpserver installed in your pc?

  10. Re: FTP TELNET PING

    qgenesist@hotmail.com writes:

    > how do I start these daemons in the pc?

    There is no such things per default in a Windows installation.

    There are lots of third party ftp servers available for Windows. I
    have no experience with any of these, so you will need to ask in a
    Windows group.

    Again, what is it you need to do?
    --
    Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

  11. Re: FTP TELNET PING

    qgenesist@hotmail.com writes:

    > i need to ftp to my pc from the as400 and get a *SAVF

    We have installed the software on the AS400 that makes it look like a
    Windows file server, so when I do stuff like that I have a folder
    window open on the AS400 (Start -> Run -> \\as400\whereever) and then
    I can just drag the file over there.

    In your case I would consider a script pushing your SAVF file to the
    AS400 on the PC.
    --
    Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

+ Reply to Thread