Problems with embedded Sql while upgrading to V5R4 - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Problems with embedded Sql while upgrading to V5R4 - IBM AS400 ; Hello this is the first time I'm asking a question although I've gotten a great deal of helpful information from this group. My question is we are going to upgrade our AS400 V5R4 and I've heard there are some issues ...

  1. Problems with embedded Sql while upgrading to V5R4

    Hello this is the first time I'm asking a question although I've
    gotten a great deal of helpful information from this group. My
    question is we are going to upgrade our AS400 V5R4 and I've heard
    there are some issues with sql in it. I've developed a lot of my rpg
    programs with embedded sql and I was wondering if anyone else has
    encountered any problems? Does anyone know of anyother issues with
    V5R4

  2. Re: Problems with embedded Sql while upgrading to V5R4

    Hi,

    the only problem I'm aware of is:
    A SET OPTION-statement must be unique in the SQL source and must
    preceed all other SQL statements in your source. Otherwise your
    modules / programs will not compile. This was already documented
    before release V5R4 but not checked.

    There also may be some issues with SQL statements previosly executed
    by the classic query engine (CQE) and now executed with the SQL Query
    engine (SQE). But in 90 to 95% of all queries the execution with the
    SQE performs better. But there may be some exceptions. We recently had
    a problem with a client. With CQE under release V5R3 and V5R4 the
    queries run in less than a second, but with SQE it took more than half
    a minute to return the results. But IBM is already working on it.

    Birgitta

  3. Re: Problems with embedded Sql while upgrading to V5R4

    On Jun 12, 1:01 am, "Hau...@sss-software.de"
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > the only problem I'm aware of is:
    > A SET OPTION-statement must be unique in the SQL source and must
    > preceed all other SQL statements in your source. Otherwise your
    > modules / programs will not compile. This was already documented
    > before release V5R4 but not checked.
    >
    > There also may be some issues with SQL statements previosly executed
    > by the classic query engine (CQE) and now executed with the SQL Query
    > engine (SQE). But in 90 to 95% of all queries the execution with the
    > SQE performs better. But there may be some exceptions. We recently had
    > a problem with a client. With CQE under release V5R3 and V5R4 the
    > queries run in less than a second, but with SQE it took more than half
    > a minute to return the results. But IBM is already working on it.
    >
    > Birgitta

    That's a relief thank you so much for the information!!! I heard from
    IBM that they were working on the issue of the queries running slower
    and they recommended that I keep up with the latest PTF's since they
    are working on it.

    Emily

  4. Re: Problems with embedded Sql while upgrading to V5R4

    On Jun 12, 12:54 pm, "emily101...@yahoo.com"
    wrote:
    > On Jun 12, 1:01 am, "Hau...@sss-software.de"
    > wrote:
    >

    > > Hi,

    > > the only problem I'm aware of is:
    > > A SET OPTION-statement must be unique in the SQL source and must
    > > preceed all other SQL statements in your source. Otherwise your
    > > modules / programs will not compile. This was already documented
    > > before release V5R4 but not checked.

    > > There also may be some issues with SQL statements previosly executed
    > > by the classic query engine (CQE) and now executed with the SQL Query
    > > engine (SQE). But in 90 to 95% of all queries the execution with the
    > > SQE performs better. But there may be some exceptions. We recently had
    > > a problem with a client. With CQE under release V5R3 and V5R4 the
    > > queries run in less than a second, but with SQE it took more than half
    > > a minute to return the results. But IBM is already working on it.

    > > Birgitta

    > That's a relief thank you so much for the information!!! I heard from
    > IBM that they were working on the issue of the queries running slower
    > and they recommended that I keep up with the latest PTF's since they
    > are working on it.
    >
    > Emily- Hide quoted text -

    Hello I just wanted to add this link to any other's who may have been
    in the same situation as I was. For some reason I was not aware of
    the memorandum to users that IBM puts out that has a lot of the
    necessary information on changes for the release. Here is a link to
    the memo to user's for V5R4 http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...zaq9/rzaq9.pdf
    and thanks again Birgitta

+ Reply to Thread