help,5250 protocols - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on help,5250 protocols - IBM AS400 ; I need 2 books. IBM Information Display System; Functions Reference Manual, IBM SA21-9274-6 Enhanced 5250 Emulation Program Version 2.12 Technical Reference, IBM Third Edition...

  1. help,5250 protocols

    I need 2 books.
    IBM Information Display System; Functions Reference Manual, IBM
    SA21-9274-6
    Enhanced 5250 Emulation Program Version 2.12 Technical Reference, IBM
    Third Edition

  2. Re: help,5250 protocols

    snowcastle wrote:

    > I need 2 books.
    > IBM Information Display System; Functions Reference Manual, IBM
    > SA21-9274-6
    > Enhanced 5250 Emulation Program Version 2.12 Technical Reference, IBM
    > Third Edition

    On the IBM Publications Center

    http://www.elink.ibmlink.ibm.com/pub...ervlet/pbi.wss

    you can found (and order) the first one and tthe _user_guide_ of the
    second one for few dollars. It seems that there's no free edition on
    internet. Look for "5250" and watch the publication code (the titles are
    ddifferent)

    For free docs on the protocol you can dig on the resource pages of
    tn5250 and tn5250j :
    http://tn5250.sourceforge.net/resources.html
    http://tn5250j.sourceforge.net/devdocs.html
    you will find many RFC and some other useful IBM docs.

    Putting tn5250[j] under debugging will help a lot !!!

    Best regards,

    Davide
    --
    Ing. Davide Grandi
    davide.grandi@mclink.it

  3. Re: help,5250 protocols

    On 6 10 , 7 23 , davide.gra...@mclink.it (Davide Grandi) wrote:
    > snowcastle wrote:
    > > I need 2 books.
    > > IBM Information Display System; Functions Reference Manual, IBM
    > > SA21-9274-6
    > > Enhanced 5250 Emulation Program Version 2.12 Technical Reference, IBM
    > > Third Edition

    > On the IBM Publications Center
    >
    > http://www.elink.ibmlink.ibm.com/pub...ervlet/pbi.wss
    >
    > you can found (and order) the first one and tthe _user_guide_ of the
    > second one for few dollars. It seems that there's no free edition on
    > internet. Look for "5250" and watch the publication code (the titles are
    > ddifferent)
    >
    > For free docs on the protocol you can dig on the resource pages of
    > tn5250 and tn5250j :
    > http://tn5250.sourceforge.net/resources.html
    > http://tn5250j.sourceforge.net/devdocs.html
    > you will find many RFC and some other useful IBM docs.
    >
    > Putting tn5250[j] under debugging will help a lot !!!
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Davide
    > --
    > Ing. Davide Grandi
    > davide.gra...@mclink.it

    Thinks a lot!
    The 1st boos I cannot find it in IBM Publications Center.help,sorry.
    The 2nd book is users guide.USD 8.93.I think that is no use.
    The author of tn5250j has no 5250 protocols.Only emulation.
    Thanks!

  4. Re: help,5250 protocols

    snowcastle wrote:

    > I need 2 books.
    > IBM Information Display System; Functions Reference Manual, IBM
    > SA21-9274-6
    > Enhanced 5250 Emulation Program Version 2.12 Technical Reference, IBM
    > Third Edition

    See if this helps:

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bi...2001/CCONTENTS

    Review 'Topic 15. Display Data Streams' for 5250 display commands. I
    don't know if it's available as .PDF, but it can be downloaded in
    BookManager format at no cost.

    AFAIK, this is the current IBM definition reference manual for 5250 data
    stream. The only things I've seen published after that is the TN5250E RFC.

    --
    Tom Liotta
    http://zap.to/tl400

  5. Re: help,5250 protocols

    snowcastle wrote:

    > On 6 10 , 7 23 , davide.gra...@mclink.it (Davide Grandi) wrote:
    > > snowcastle wrote:
    > > > I need 2 books.
    > > > IBM Information Display System; Functions Reference Manual, IBM
    > > > SA21-9274-6
    > > > Enhanced 5250 Emulation Program Version 2.12 Technical Reference, IBM
    > > > Third Edition

    > > On the IBM Publications Center
    > >
    > > http://www.elink.ibmlink.ibm.com/pub...ervlet/pbi.wss
    > >
    > > you can found (and order) the first one and tthe _user_guide_ of the
    > > second one for few dollars. It seems that there's no free edition on
    > > internet. Look for "5250" and watch the publication code (the titles are
    > > ddifferent)
    > >
    > > For free docs on the protocol you can dig on the resource pages of
    > > tn5250 and tn5250j :
    > > http://tn5250.sourceforge.net/resources.html
    > > http://tn5250j.sourceforge.net/devdocs.html
    > > you will find many RFC and some other useful IBM docs.
    > >
    > > Putting tn5250[j] under debugging will help a lot !!!
    > >
    > > Best regards,
    > >
    > > Davide
    > > --
    > > Ing. Davide Grandi
    > > davide.gra...@mclink.it

    > Thinks a lot!
    > The 1st boos I cannot find it in IBM Publications Center.help,sorry.
    > The 2nd book is users guide.USD 8.93.I think that is no use.
    > The author of tn5250j has no 5250 protocols.Only emulation.
    > Thanks!

    Sorry to be pedantic, but 5250 protocol is one of the sources of my
    salary, (being the software engineering, [ha ha !!] the other) so...:

    1) follow the link above
    2) select the country (Italy, in my case)
    3) "Welcome blah blah" : choose "Search for publications"
    4) type "5250" on the field "Search on"
    5) follow the link on item 5) :
    5. 5250 Function Reference SA21-9247-06
    the name is slightly different, but the code is not
    (guess who win, at IBM : the code !!!)

    You got a terse cart entry stating
    ---
    Publication Information
    5250 Function Reference (SA21-9247-06)
    Price:
    EUR 11,77
    The price shown above does not include taxes.
    ---

    tn5250j :
    1) it's a "java only" emulator
    2) i ran it on my mac (without any kind of IBM library ...) under a
    java debugger (for now. In a smalltalk debugger within few ...
    years)
    3) it worked in collecting (screen scraping) some AS/400-System i
    screens

    then it HAS an implementation of 5250 protocol on it (I don't think it
    works for a sorcery ...).
    You should only GET (literally) the CVS sources and start digging (and
    refactoring, maybe), to "decode" the protocol.

    If you're more C oriented you should get the tn5250 sources and do the
    same.

    Best regards and happy screen scraping,

    Davide
    --