prog calling - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on prog calling - IBM AS400 ; Hi This is chakri. 1] would u tell me what happen i am calling one program p1 and another one calling same program p1 at same time. Regarda, chakri....

  1. prog calling

    Hi

    This is chakri.

    1]
    would u tell me what happen i am calling one program p1 and
    another one calling same program p1 at same time.

    Regarda,
    chakri.

  2. Re: prog calling

    schreef in bericht
    news:1181385147.139599.91760@x35g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi
    >
    > This is chakri.
    >
    > 1]
    > would u tell me what happen i am calling one program p1 and
    > another one calling same program p1 at same time.
    >

    > Regarda,
    > chakri.

    No, you'll have to do your homework yourself.

  3. Re: prog calling

    chakri.madhira@gmail.com wrote:

    > would u tell me what happen i am calling one program p1 and
    > another one calling same program p1 at same time.

    Chakri:

    The program runs in two jobs. That's all that happens. (Well, that's the
    simple short story.)

    There should be no problem unless the program is coded to cause a
    problem. For example, the program might set a lock on some object so
    that the second call cannot get its own lock.

    What are you concerned about?

    --
    Tom Liotta
    http://zap.to/tl400

  4. Re: prog calling

    wrote in message
    news:1181385147.139599.91760@x35g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...
    | Hi
    |
    | This is chakri.
    |
    | 1]
    | would u tell me what happen i am calling one program p1 and
    | another one calling same program p1 at same time.
    |

    | Regarda,
    | chakri.

    In some systems (not the /400...Sys-i) programs can be self modifying
    and concurrent execution by two or more jobs of a single copy would be
    a problem. In those systems the OS normally loads a separate copy for
    each user process / job. This is not a very efficient use of main
    memory but solves the problem of concurrency.

    For both efficiency and improved security, the Sys-i does not allow
    self modifying programs. Further, working storage is allocated to the
    job and not a chunk of memory attached to the program code. As a
    result any number of jobs can run the same program object at the same
    time.

    However, even with these features, a programmer may design a program
    to issue an exclusive lock on some external object such as a file. In
    these cases the other jobs will have to wait for the first one to
    release the object or they may time out and fail.

    Mike Sicilian

+ Reply to Thread