SPLF2TIFF (SPL2TIFF) Question - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on SPLF2TIFF (SPL2TIFF) Question - IBM AS400 ; I downloaded a tool from MC Press called SPLF2TIFF, which contains 4 components: a CLP pgm, an RPG pgm, a WSCST source file and a CMD source file. The instructions seem simple enough, and I believe I followed them correctly. ...

  1. SPLF2TIFF (SPL2TIFF) Question

    I downloaded a tool from MC Press called SPLF2TIFF, which contains 4
    components: a CLP pgm, an RPG pgm, a WSCST source file and a CMD
    source file. The instructions seem simple enough, and I believe I
    followed them correctly.

    I am not an RPG programmer (COBOL, mainly) but this program is the
    only freeware I've seen which uses QSPOPNSP, QSPGETSP, and QSPCLOSP.
    The promise of this tool is that it can convert any spooled file to a
    TIFF file, even *USERASCII type spool files. According to IBM, these
    are the APIs needed to extract the contents of the spool file.

    I have read comments from two users who say the tool "works great", so
    I have hope that it allows me to convert *USERASCII to, eventually,
    PDF (TIFF to PDF is not complicated, from what I have seen).

    For me, well, I get junk. The command executes and does create a TIFF
    file, but when I open it all I see is a blank page with a horizontal
    line in the middle. There are no obvious messages that indicate some
    problem with the process, and there are error handlers in the program
    if it cannot complete each step of the process. None of those are
    invoked.

    Does anybody have any experience with this tool? I'd be grateful for
    some guidance as to why it does not "work great" for me. By the way,
    we are a V5R2 box.

    Walt Bennett
    Astec Systems, Inc.

  2. Re: SPLF2TIFF (SPL2TIFF) Question

    Walt Bennett, Astec Systems wrote:
    > I downloaded a tool from MC Press called SPLF2TIFF, which contains 4
    > components: a CLP pgm, an RPG pgm, a WSCST source file and a CMD
    > source file. The instructions seem simple enough, and I believe I
    > followed them correctly.
    >
    > I am not an RPG programmer (COBOL, mainly) but this program is the
    > only freeware I've seen which uses QSPOPNSP, QSPGETSP, and QSPCLOSP.
    > The promise of this tool is that it can convert any spooled file to a
    > TIFF file, even *USERASCII type spool files. According to IBM, these
    > are the APIs needed to extract the contents of the spool file.
    >
    > I have read comments from two users who say the tool "works great", so
    > I have hope that it allows me to convert *USERASCII to, eventually,
    > PDF (TIFF to PDF is not complicated, from what I have seen).
    >
    > For me, well, I get junk. The command executes and does create a TIFF
    > file, but when I open it all I see is a blank page with a horizontal
    > line in the middle. There are no obvious messages that indicate some
    > problem with the process, and there are error handlers in the program
    > if it cannot complete each step of the process. None of those are
    > invoked.
    >
    > Does anybody have any experience with this tool? I'd be grateful for
    > some guidance as to why it does not "work great" for me. By the way,
    > we are a V5R2 box.
    >
    > Walt Bennett
    > Astec Systems, Inc.

    If it uses the Host Print Transform API I bet it mainly works on AFPDS...

+ Reply to Thread