Network with DHCP - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Network with DHCP - IBM AS400 ; My ongoing problem with static address changing has been figured out sort of. Any pc configured with Access and a static address gets wacked, when you attempt to open a web connection. It would appear that the DSL router installed ...

  1. Network with DHCP

    My ongoing problem with static address changing has been
    figured out sort of.

    Any pc configured with Access and a static address gets
    wacked, when you attempt to open a web connection.

    It would appear that the DSL router installed is providing
    all the addressing for anybody who attempts to connect.

    This all happens with the ISP DHCP service I suppose.
    I'm not much on routers but some research seems to prove
    this out.

    The question of the day....

    What, if anything can I do about this ???

  2. Re: Network with DHCP

    disable the DHCP server on the router

    "Pat Barber" wrote in message
    > My ongoing problem with static address changing has been
    > figured out sort of.
    >
    > Any pc configured with Access and a static address gets
    > wacked, when you attempt to open a web connection.
    >
    > It would appear that the DSL router installed is providing
    > all the addressing for anybody who attempts to connect.
    >
    > This all happens with the ISP DHCP service I suppose.
    > I'm not much on routers but some research seems to prove
    > this out.
    >

    > The question of the day....
    >
    > What, if anything can I do about this ???

  3. Re: Network with DHCP

    On Jun 7, 7:40 pm, Pat Barber wrote:
    > My ongoing problem with static address changing has been
    > figured out sort of.
    >
    > Any pc configured with Access and a static address gets
    > wacked, when you attempt to open a web connection.
    >
    > It would appear that the DSL router installed is providing
    > all the addressing for anybody who attempts to connect.
    >
    > This all happens with the ISP DHCP service I suppose.
    > I'm not much on routers but some research seems to prove
    > this out.
    >
    > The question of the day....
    >
    > What, if anything can I do about this ???

    In the version of windows & IE I have there is a setting in IE options
    for connections. Under Lan settings I think if you allow automatic
    detection then your static entry may be overwritten. Alternativenly
    there may be a setup in the DHCP server in your router to either use a
    specific range of ip addresses, which would allow your pcs & 400 to be
    in the same range, or maybe to associate given cards with fixed ip
    addresses, so they always get the same number. This last option would
    requier additional work for every pc on your network.

    HTH
    Jonathan

  4. Re: Network with DHCP

    To add even more confusion to his thread....

    We will be dropping the DSL connection in favor
    of a high speed fiber link that is being installed
    as we speak.

    I assume that will change the entire thing.

    Jonathan Bailey wrote:

    > On Jun 7, 7:40 pm, Pat Barber wrote:
    >
    >>My ongoing problem with static address changing has been
    >>figured out sort of.
    >>
    >>Any pc configured with Access and a static address gets
    >>wacked, when you attempt to open a web connection.
    >>
    >>It would appear that the DSL router installed is providing
    >>all the addressing for anybody who attempts to connect.
    >>
    >>This all happens with the ISP DHCP service I suppose.
    >>I'm not much on routers but some research seems to prove
    >>this out.
    >>
    >>The question of the day....
    >>
    >>What, if anything can I do about this ???

    > In the version of windows & IE I have there is a setting in IE options
    > for connections. Under Lan settings I think if you allow automatic
    > detection then your static entry may be overwritten. Alternativenly
    > there may be a setup in the DHCP server in your router to either use a
    > specific range of ip addresses, which would allow your pcs & 400 to be
    > in the same range, or maybe to associate given cards with fixed ip
    > addresses, so they always get the same number. This last option would
    > requier additional work for every pc on your network.
    >
    > HTH
    > Jonathan

  5. Re: Network with DHCP

    Pat Barber wrote:

    > I assume that will change the entire thing.

    It shouldn't.

    That is, various numbers might change, but the functions should continue
    regardless of what the physical components are. The fiber link will
    still have a DNS associated at the far end that needs to be
    communicated/propagated to the PCs. DHCP should still assign addresses,
    though the network (subnet) will probably be different. Everything still
    needs to happen in order for everything to work against the internet.

    However, the GUI or browser or whatever is used to configure the current
    DSL will be replaced by a different GUI or web page or whatever. There
    will be a router of some kind that will be at your end of the fiber. If
    it's totally proprietary, it might take some experimenting to see where
    the same elements are configured. But they'll be there somewhere.

    One thing that should change is the earlier mentioned step to "open the
    connection". That should be done away with even for the DSL, but I would
    expect it not to be even relevant with the fiber. When getting into
    proprietary user interfaces though, it's never certain what will be
    encountered.

    --
    Tom Liotta
    http://zap.to/tl400

  6. Re: Network with DHCP

    Pat, in the router configuration - you need to reserve the fixed IP
    addresses - i.e. don't give those out to any other device asking for an IP
    address. Most routers these days have a browser interface and will support
    this.

    Switch the router on and you should see the connected devices - don't switch
    on anything with a dynamic address - reserve all the connected addresses and
    then let the DHCP server take over. It should be fairly straight forward.

    Or only let the DHCP Server give out addresses above your fixed range - so
    if you have 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.4 fixed maybe start the DHCP server at
    10.0.0.10 - you get the idea.

    To get to the router configuration in a browser http://192.168.0.x or
    whatever the admin address is. You should find this in the router manual
    along with the admin user id and password.

    Good luck.

    KP
    "Pat Barber" wrote in message
    > To add even more confusion to his thread....
    >
    > We will be dropping the DSL connection in favor
    > of a high speed fiber link that is being installed
    > as we speak.
    >
    > I assume that will change the entire thing.
    >

    > Jonathan Bailey wrote:
    >
    >> On Jun 7, 7:40 pm, Pat Barber wrote:
    >>
    >>>My ongoing problem with static address changing has been
    >>>figured out sort of.
    >>>
    >>>Any pc configured with Access and a static address gets
    >>>wacked, when you attempt to open a web connection.
    >>>
    >>>It would appear that the DSL router installed is providing
    >>>all the addressing for anybody who attempts to connect.
    >>>
    >>>This all happens with the ISP DHCP service I suppose.
    >>>I'm not much on routers but some research seems to prove
    >>>this out.
    >>>
    >>>The question of the day....
    >>>
    >>>What, if anything can I do about this ???

    >> In the version of windows & IE I have there is a setting in IE options
    >> for connections. Under Lan settings I think if you allow automatic
    >> detection then your static entry may be overwritten. Alternativenly
    >> there may be a setup in the DHCP server in your router to either use a
    >> specific range of ip addresses, which would allow your pcs & 400 to be
    >> in the same range, or maybe to associate given cards with fixed ip
    >> addresses, so they always get the same number. This last option would
    >> requier additional work for every pc on your network.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >> Jonathan

  7. Re: Network with DHCP

    Yep...I'm sort of starting to see the light a little.

    I need to wait on this new router before I ask any more
    questions. The Sonic firewall is also in this picture.

    kev wrote:

    > Pat, in the router configuration - you need to reserve the fixed IP
    > addresses - i.e. don't give those out to any other device asking for an IP
    > address. Most routers these days have a browser interface and will support
    > this.
    >
    > Switch the router on and you should see the connected devices - don't switch
    > on anything with a dynamic address - reserve all the connected addresses and
    > then let the DHCP server take over. It should be fairly straight forward.
    >
    > Or only let the DHCP Server give out addresses above your fixed range - so
    > if you have 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.4 fixed maybe start the DHCP server at
    > 10.0.0.10 - you get the idea.
    >
    > To get to the router configuration in a browser http://192.168.0.x or
    > whatever the admin address is. You should find this in the router manual
    > along with the admin user id and password.
    >
    > Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread