Excel validation. - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Excel validation. - IBM AS400 ; Hi, Is there a simple way of retreiving a single record from DB2 file with Excel based on row/column value. Thanks....

  1. Excel validation.

    Hi,

    Is there a simple way of retreiving a single record from DB2 file with
    Excel based on row/column value.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Excel validation.

    This may work: Configure an ODBC connection. Start Excel. Click menu
    Data/Import External Data/New Database Query using your new ODBC connection.
    Then write the SQL necessary to get your one record.

    Sam

    wrote in message
    news:1181236117.328201.202220@p47g2000hsd.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there a simple way of retreiving a single record from DB2 file with
    > Excel based on row/column value.
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: Excel validation.

    That does work, I use it all the time.
    I also make the use a parameter in the SQL and link it to a cell in
    excel and when that value changes it can automatically refresh the
    data.

    The way to do that is to click add criteria and slect your column and
    for your value type in [?]

    For example, this SQL uses IBM sample customer file included in
    library ADTSLAB.
    You could just copy and paste this by pressing SQL button.

    SELECT CUSTOMER.CUSTNO, CUSTOMER.CUSTNA, CUSTOMER.REPNO,
    CUSTOMER.CONTAC, CUSTOMER.CPHONE, CUSTOMER.CFAX, CUSTOMER.CADDR,
    CUSTOMER.CCITY, CUSTOMER.CCOUNT, CUSTOMER.CZIP, CUSTOMER.CZIPLO
    FROM ADTSLAB.CUSTOMER CUSTOMER
    WHERE (CUSTOMER.CUSTNO=?)

    When you click return data to Ms Excel click the parameters button and
    select "Get the value from the following cell" and select the cell and
    you might want to check the "Refresh automatically when cell value
    changes"

    -----
    Bill

    On Jun 7, 6:28 pm, "Saml" wrote:
    > This may work: Configure an ODBC connection. Start Excel. Click menu
    > Data/Import External Data/New Database Query using your new ODBC connection.
    > Then write the SQL necessary to get your one record.
    >
    > Sam
    >
    > wrote in message
    >
    > news:1181236117.328201.202220@p47g2000hsd.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > Is there a simple way of retreiving a single record from DB2 file with
    > > Excel based on row/column value.

    > > Thanks.

  4. Re: Excel validation.

    I am trying to incorperate GL# validation in a spread sheet (for the
    users). The upload function will run a validation routine and I am
    trying to figure out the best possible way to validate pre-uploaded
    information. I was figuring on creating a routine in excel that
    would process each row in the spread sheet and call a SQL procedure to
    return a data set, the data set would hold one record if the GL# was
    correct and no values if the GL# was invalid. If anyone has a
    suggestion I will certainly welcome it. I dont know if i am clear on
    the task at hand.

    Thanks.