Connecting to Client Access using VB.NET - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Connecting to Client Access using VB.NET - IBM AS400 ; Hello I have a big problem with connecting to Client Access in AS/400 Platform using VB .NET code. In VB 6.0 there is a possibility of using DDE to do such. DDE lets to connect to client acces and send ...

  1. Connecting to Client Access using VB.NET

    Hello

    I have a big problem with connecting to Client Access in AS/400
    Platform using VB.NET code.
    In VB 6.0 there is a possibility of using DDE to do such.
    DDE lets to connect to client acces and send commands, download
    strings from client access etc.

    I need to do the same using VB.NET developed software.
    Unfortunatelly Microsoft doesn`t support DDE in VB.NET.

    What to do??
    Any ideas?
    How to connect with client acces on as/400 platform without DDE??

  2. Re: Connecting to Client Access using VB.NET

    On Jun 5, 9:38 pm, paw...@interia.pl wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have a big problem with connecting to Client Access in AS/400
    > Platform using VB.NET code.
    > In VB 6.0 there is a possibility of using DDE to do such.
    > DDE lets to connect to client acces and send commands, download
    > strings from client access etc.
    >
    > I need to do the same using VB.NET developed software.
    > Unfortunatelly Microsoft doesn`t support DDE in VB.NET.
    >
    > What to do??
    > Any ideas?
    > How to connect with client acces on as/400 platform without DDE??

    I suppose its just good old progress. You have to take the 1 step back
    together with the 2 forwards. Can you turn your old vb into a ddl &
    access that via .net? I'm sure there is a way of accessing legacy code
    from .net but I'm not involved with it. Maybe if you make the old vb
    sufficiently flexible it could be reused to access any DDE systems &
    used as a general interface to your legacy pc systems ?

    Jonathan

  3. Re: Connecting to Client Access using VB.NET

    Look at the "iSeries Access" help text. You will find that if you have
    ..NET 2.0 framework installed on your PC you can install the DB2 .NET
    data provider. This will allow you to use the iSeries DB2 .NET database
    classes. There is a short tutorial provided in the documentation.
    D.J.

    pawera@interia.pl wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have a big problem with connecting to Client Access in AS/400
    > Platform using VB.NET code.
    > In VB 6.0 there is a possibility of using DDE to do such.
    > DDE lets to connect to client acces and send commands, download
    > strings from client access etc.
    >
    > I need to do the same using VB.NET developed software.
    > Unfortunatelly Microsoft doesn`t support DDE in VB.NET.
    >
    > What to do??
    > Any ideas?
    > How to connect with client acces on as/400 platform without DDE??

+ Reply to Thread