Eclipse BIRT o niSeries - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Eclipse BIRT o niSeries - IBM AS400 ; Hello, I have sucessfully set up Tomcat 5.5, JVM 1.5 and BIRT 2.2 on our 520 system. After starting Tomcat I tried test report from BIRT distribution http://as002:8080/birt/frameset?__re...est1.rptdesign but is working abnormaly slow. Does anyone have some expirience with BIRT ...

  1. Eclipse BIRT o niSeries

    Hello,

    I have sucessfully set up Tomcat 5.5, JVM 1.5 and BIRT 2.2 on our 520
    system.
    After starting Tomcat I tried test report from BIRT distribution
    http://as002:8080/birt/frameset?__re...est1.rptdesign
    but is working abnormaly slow.

    Does anyone have some expirience with BIRT on iSeries and knows how
    to make it faster? Demo uses 123 records for report and it takes about 2min.
    to generate web report.

    We also have another 810 system with about 250 users connected. Imagine
    that 5-10% of them request web report in the same time.
    How this will reflect to other running processes????

    Will be good solution to run Tomcat and BIRT on another HW and then data
    will
    be retrieved from other system?!?

    Thanks,
    Niko.

  2. Re: Eclipse BIRT o niSeries

    "niko" writes:

    > After starting Tomcat I tried test report from BIRT distribution
    > http://as002:8080/birt/frameset?__re...est1.rptdesign
    > but is working abnormaly slow.

    The default behaviour of Java is to compile all code to MI which is
    extremely slow in the startup phase.

    Additionally Java programs often require more memory than other
    programs so they need larger memory pools.

    Please also check that the DNS information is setup correctly. You
    should be able to ping "google.com" and the name the machine thinks it
    has without any delay in looking up the name.

    --
    Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

  3. Re: Eclipse BIRT o niSeries

    Hi,

    if you would run it on a 7 years old intel box with less than 1 GigaHertz it
    won't run much faster; putting it to a recent intel box with about 4 times
    more power (and plenty of memory) compared to the older intel box, it will
    run much more faster.

    Dieter Bender

    niko wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have sucessfully set up Tomcat 5.5, JVM 1.5 and BIRT 2.2 on our 520
    > system.
    > After starting Tomcat I tried test report from BIRT distribution
    > http://as002:8080/birt/frameset?__re...est1.rptdesign
    > but is working abnormaly slow.
    >
    > Does anyone have some expirience with BIRT on iSeries and knows how
    > to make it faster? Demo uses 123 records for report and it takes about
    > 2min. to generate web report.
    >
    > We also have another 810 system with about 250 users connected. Imagine
    > that 5-10% of them request web report in the same time.
    > How this will reflect to other running processes????
    >
    > Will be good solution to run Tomcat and BIRT on another HW and then data
    > will
    > be retrieved from other system?!?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Niko.

  4. Re: Eclipse BIRT o niSeries

    "Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen" wrote in message
    > "niko" writes:
    >
    > > After starting Tomcat I tried test report from BIRT distribution
    > > http://as002:8080/birt/frameset?__re...est1.rptdesign
    > > but is working abnormaly slow.

    > The default behaviour of Java is to compile all code to MI which is
    > extremely slow in the startup phase.

    After first startup of Tomcat and BIRT I have opened testreport.
    When report is generated I closed the browser and again call the
    test reprot. First time Tomcat need to load required jars but next time
    it has them already loaded so it should be faster but it is not.
    Maybe little but this is unacceptable.

    > Additionally Java programs often require more memory than other
    > programs so they need larger memory pools.

    Tomcat is running in its own subsystem with 512MB pool size which should be
    ok.

    > Please also check that the DNS information is setup correctly. You
    > should be able to ping "google.com" and the name the machine thinks it
    > has without any delay in looking up the name.

    DNS is ok.

    I have tesetd BIRT on 2processor XEON PC and it is also kinda slow in
    report generation?!?!? Maybe for one user is ok, but if this is aimed to be
    used on
    the system with about 250 users, speed of BIRT is unacceptable.

    Niko.

  5. Re: Eclipse BIRT o niSeries

    "Dieter Bender" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > if you would run it on a 7 years old intel box with less than 1 GigaHertz

    it
    > won't run much faster; putting it to a recent intel box with about 4 times
    > more power (and plenty of memory) compared to the older intel box, it will
    > run much more faster.
    >
    > Dieter Bender

    Not Intel...AS/400 (iSeries) models 520 (1y. old) and 810 (3y. old).
    810 have a lot of horesepower ) but I am not impressed with BIRT speed.

    Niko.

  6. Re: Eclipse BIRT o niSeries

    Hi,

    the processor of the 810 is about 7 years old and comparable to an intel box
    < 1 GigaHertz. The 520? it depends on, wether it has a power 5 or a power
    5+ and it might be restricted by software (they call it on demand...). it
    should be no problem to put the tomcat to a + 2 GHertz Intel and same with
    BIRT and I would bet, it would be much faster!!!

    Dieter Bender

    niko wrote:

    > "Dieter Bender" wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> if you would run it on a 7 years old intel box with less than 1 GigaHertz

    > it
    >> won't run much faster; putting it to a recent intel box with about 4
    >> times more power (and plenty of memory) compared to the older intel box,
    >> it will run much more faster.
    >>
    >> Dieter Bender
    >>

    > Not Intel...AS/400 (iSeries) models 520 (1y. old) and 810 (3y. old).
    > 810 have a lot of horesepower ) but I am not impressed with BIRT speed.
    >
    > Niko.

  7. Re: Eclipse BIRT o niSeries

    "niko" writes:

    > I have tesetd BIRT on 2processor XEON PC and it is also kinda slow in
    > report generation?!?!? Maybe for one user is ok, but if this is aimed to be
    > used on
    > the system with about 250 users, speed of BIRT is unacceptable.

    In that case another approach might be a good idea.

    What is it you need to do?
    --
    Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

  8. Re: Eclipse BIRT o niSeries

    Sorry to stray the thread, but does anybody know if you can run BIRT
    outside of a servlet engine? I have only seen reference to it from a
    servlet engine context, but if you could make it run in a batch job in
    i5OS you could have RPG programmers create some nice looking reports
    from their native language.

    I have done something similar with my open source RPG Chart Engine
    (http://mowyourlawn.com/RPGChartEngine.html) and am looking to do it
    with BIRT but haven't taken the dive into the product to learn how it
    works.

    Thanks,
    Aaron Bartell
    http://mowyourlawn.com

  9. Re: Eclipse BIRT on iSeries

    > "niko" writes:
    >
    > > I have tesetd BIRT on 2processor XEON PC and it is also kinda slow in
    > > report generation?!?!? Maybe for one user is ok, but if this is aimed to

    be
    > > used on
    > > the system with about 250 users, speed of BIRT is unacceptable.

    > In that case another approach might be a good idea.
    >
    > What is it you need to do?
    > --
    > Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

    For now we are trying to find most felxible solution for graphical
    reporting.
    As BIRT is Java it seems to be a good start but as I have said it is to
    slow.

    We are testing some SQL Querys with output to table and then conencting
    with BIRT to that table to create graphical reports.

    Those are some statistical data for managers but in the future it my be used
    for
    other or maybe all of our reporting.

    Niko.

  10. Re: Eclipse BIRT o niSeries

    "mowyourlawn" wrote in message
    news:1180869425.983316.60130@n4g2000hsb.googlegrou ps.com...
    > Sorry to stray the thread, but does anybody know if you can run BIRT
    > outside of a servlet engine? I have only seen reference to it from a
    > servlet engine context, but if you could make it run in a batch job in
    > i5OS you could have RPG programmers create some nice looking reports
    > from their native language.
    >
    > I have done something similar with my open source RPG Chart Engine
    > (http://mowyourlawn.com/RPGChartEngine.html) and am looking to do it
    > with BIRT but haven't taken the dive into the product to learn how it
    > works.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Aaron Bartell
    > http://mowyourlawn.com

    It is possible, there is a lot of programming examples on BIRT web site.
    You can programatically do whatever you wish with it.
    I have done some tests and successfuly created final reports on disk without
    servlets.
    (done it on PC, not on iSeries). Results can be in PDF or original format.

    Niko.

+ Reply to Thread