calling a CL from PHP - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on calling a CL from PHP - IBM AS400 ; Hi! Is it anyone who knows how can I call a CL program at a remote AS/ 400 server from a script in other machine via PHP? I have done it with Visual Basic and ADODB, but I canīt find ...

  1. calling a CL from PHP

    Hi!

    Is it anyone who knows how can I call a CL program at a remote AS/
    400 server from a script in other machine via PHP?

    I have done it with Visual Basic and ADODB, but I canīt find the way
    with PHP...

    Thanks a lot!

  2. Re: calling a CL from PHP

    On May 30, 8:44 am, Vmrincon wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Is it anyone who knows how can I call a CL program at a remote AS/
    > 400 server from a script in other machine via PHP?
    >
    > I have done it with Visual Basic and ADODB, but I canīt find the way
    > with PHP...
    >
    > Thanks a lot!

    You can implement the CL as a stored procedure (basically, you use the
    SQL CREATE PROCEDURE command and the AS/400) and call it using SQL.

    Matt

  3. Re: calling a CL from PHP

    On 30 mayo, 16:22, matt.h...@thomsonlearning.com wrote:
    > On May 30, 8:44 am, Vmrincon wrote:
    >
    > > Hi!

    > > Is it anyone who knows how can I call a CL program at a remote AS/
    > > 400 server from a script in other machine via PHP?

    > > I have done it with Visual Basic and ADODB, but I canīt find the way
    > > with PHP...

    > > Thanks a lot!

    > You can implement the CL as a stored procedure (basically, you use the
    > SQL CREATE PROCEDURE command and the AS/400) and call it using SQL.
    >
    > Matt

    Thanks for your answer Matt

    The problem is that I can not implement the CL as stored
    procedure, because I donīt administrate the machine. I have just
    access to the CL interface...

    Any idea?

  4. Re: calling a CL from PHP

    Hi,

    http://hr.php.net/java and jt400

    Niko

  5. Re: calling a CL from PHP

    Well,
    you could always implement WEB service (Servlet) on iSeries and call it with
    opening http link.
    We have Tomcat server running on iSeries which have small servlet accepting
    commands...

    For example
    http://as400system:8080/cmds/cmd?id=...fhf7843m3jkd8d

    Servlet will parse parameters and do what it does on iSeries and return XML
    data (in our case).
    If with PHP you can call such links and wait for return data this could be a
    simple solution.

    Niko.

  6. Re: calling a CL from PHP

    On 30 mayo, 17:17, "niko" wrote:
    > Well,
    > you could always implement WEB service (Servlet) on iSeries and call it with
    > opening http link.
    > We have Tomcat server running on iSeries which have small servlet accepting
    > commands...
    >
    > For examplehttp://as400system:8080/cmds/cmd?id=3456734&p1=QVZT&p2=zfhf7843m3jkd8d
    >
    > Servlet will parse parameters and do what it does on iSeries and return XML
    > data (in our case).
    > If with PHP you can call such links and wait for return data this could be a
    > simple solution.
    >
    > Niko.

    Hi Niko!

    Thanks for your answer... as I answered to another post, the
    problem is that I can not implement anything at the serverīs side
    because I donīt administrate the server, is someone else who
    administrates it... so I can just use the execution of the CL program
    that I am given by the serverīs administrator...

    Any idea?

    As said, thanks a lot!

    Victor

  7. Re: calling a CL from PHP

    > The problem is that I can not implement the CL as stored
    > procedure, because I donīt administrate the machine. I have just
    > access to the CL interface...

    What do you mean by CL interface? Do you mean just the "green screen"
    5250 interface? Client Access and FTP both provide a facility for
    submitting commands. Ask the administrator if they are available to
    you. If they are then look into PHP's Program Execution and FTP
    functions.

  8. Re: calling a CL from PHP

    On 1 Juni, 00:21, Madcap wrote:
    > > The problem is that I can not implement the CL as stored
    > > procedure, because I donīt administrate the machine. I have just
    > > access to the CL interface...

    > What do you mean by CL interface? Do you mean just the "green screen"
    > 5250 interface? Client Access and FTP both provide a facility for
    > submitting commands. Ask the administrator if they are available to
    > you. If they are then look into PHP's Program Execution and FTP
    > functions.

    Hi!

    Actually what I mean is that I can just call a CL programme to
    access information in the server, that's why I call it a CL interface,
    because I can only access the server calling that programme, if I do
    it via odbc + Visual Basic, or if I do it via a "green screen" is my
    problem. but the administrator only gives me that interface... What I
    want to do is call that CL programme from a PHP web application...

    Thanks for your answer....

    Cheers! Victor

  9. Re: calling a CL from PHP

    Vmrincon wrote:

    > Is it anyone who knows how can I call a CL program at a remote AS/
    > 400 server from a script in other machine via PHP?
    >
    > I have done it with Visual Basic and ADODB, but I canīt find the way
    > with PHP...

    Victor:

    If you've done it with VB and ADODB, are you asking how PHP can call
    programs on a remote system?

    Can you describe what the CL program will do? In particular, will it
    return values to PHP?

    --
    Tom Liotta
    http://zap.to/tl400

  10. Re: calling a CL from PHP

    On 3 jun, 12:21, Thomas wrote:
    > Vmrincon wrote:
    > > Is it anyone who knows how can I call a CL program at a remote AS/
    > > 400 server from a script in other machine via PHP?

    > > I have done it with Visual Basic and ADODB, but I canīt find the way
    > > with PHP...

    > Victor:
    >
    > If you've done it with VB and ADODB, are you asking how PHP can call
    > programs on a remote system?
    >
    > Can you describe what the CL program will do? In particular, will it
    > return values to PHP?
    >
    > --
    > Tom Liottahttp://zap.to/tl400

    Hi Tom!

    Yes, that's what I am asking.... Exactly, the CL program will have
    an IN parameter (an ID) and will return an OUT parameter (with the
    result of the query that the CL shoots, but about this I am not so
    sure, because is not me who administrates the AS400)

    Thanks a lot for your post!

  11. Re: calling a CL from PHP

    Vmrincon wrote:

    > On 3 jun, 12:21, Thomas wrote:
    >> Vmrincon wrote:
    >>> Is it anyone who knows how can I call a CL program at a remote AS/
    >>> 400 server from a script in other machine via PHP?
    >>> I have done it with Visual Basic and ADODB, but I canīt find the way
    >>> with PHP...

    >> Victor:
    >>
    >> If you've done it with VB and ADODB, are you asking how PHP can call
    >> programs on a remote system?
    >>
    >> Can you describe what the CL program will do? In particular, will it
    >> return values to PHP?
    >>

    > Yes, that's what I am asking.... Exactly, the CL program will have
    > an IN parameter (an ID) and will return an OUT parameter (with the
    > result of the query that the CL shoots, but about this I am not so
    > sure, because is not me who administrates the AS400)

    Victor:

    The return parameter is the problem here. In order for a value to be
    returned, the remote server needs to be told how to format what it sends
    back across the network. An SQL server will use the parameter
    declarations from the stored procedure definition to know what to send
    back. If there was no return value, you wouldn't need to define a stored
    proc; you could simply issue the CALL and it would all work as if a
    stored proc was defined.

    There are 'remote program call' alternatives, but a stored proc will be
    the easiest by far unless you already have support set up on the PHP
    side. iSeries Access, for example, provides Remote Command/Distributed
    Program Call APIs. In that case, you provide the parm definitions to the
    API and it works out the structure with the program call server. I
    haven't seen reference to anyone using that in a remote PHP app, but I
    can't think of why it couldn't be used.

    If the APIs themselves aren't available, the IBM LIPI documents describe
    the protocols. The documents used to be available for something like
    $500US, but I recall seeing a reference a while back that asserted the
    documents could be obtained at no (or minimal) cost.

    Another "possible" route would be EDRS which also provides for remote
    program calls without stored proc requirements. One or two other
    possibilities exist. Via PHP...? Someone probably can suggest some details.

    --
    Tom Liotta
    http://zap.to/tl400

+ Reply to Thread