Sessions count? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Sessions count? - IBM AS400 ; Is there a way to find out how many sessions were open (or users were connected) at a specific time, for example, 2pm? Thanks Karl...

  1. Sessions count?

    Is there a way to find out how many sessions were open (or users were
    connected) at a specific time, for example, 2pm?
    Thanks
    Karl

  2. Re: Sessions count?

    Hi,

    It depends for what you need this.

    It is possible with Work Management APIs and TCP/IP Management APIs.
    You can get currently connected TCP sessions/ JOBS and count them.
    But if you want some kind of log you must create repeatable background job
    to run
    in some time periods and gather informations and then store them in file.

    Search for QUSLJOB , QUSRJOBI and maybe QTOCLPPJ , QtocRtvNetCnnDta in
    TCP/IP Management API

    Another way for tracing sessions is to create telnet exit point and on
    Signon and Singoff you can
    write log in file.

    Another option is to use License Api to see number of active sessions (Usage
    count) offcourse, if
    required product is using License use management.

    Niko

  3. Re: Sessions count?

    Job notification exit points [as I infer] can be used to log start
    and stop timestamps [and other stuff]. Logged to a database file, a
    query of the output could count the jobs that spanned a specific [period
    of] time.

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...s/xjobntfy.htm

    Although job accounting might be able to as well, I think its output
    is only at the end of a job, which means an inquiry of the DSPJRN output
    would have to await the end of any job that started prior to the [period
    of time] which is of interest.

    Regards, Chuck
    -- All comments provided "as is" with no warranties of any kind
    employer

    Karl wrote:
    > Is there a way to find out how many sessions were open (or users were
    > connected) at a specific time, for example, 2pm?

  4. Re: Sessions count?

    Hi,

    not sure what you are looking for? in most cases dsplog msgid(cpf1100)
    output(*print) and a little programm to analyze the spool should work.

    Dieter Bender

    Karl wrote:

    > Is there a way to find out how many sessions were open (or users were
    > connected) at a specific time, for example, 2pm?
    > Thanks
    > Karl

  5. Re: Sessions count?

    What about setting up job accounting ?