User space automatic extendibility ... - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on User space automatic extendibility ... - IBM AS400 ; Hello all, I want to know if one user profile is owning many objects (more than 500 for example) on my system. I use QSYLOBJA to do this with a user space for wich the INITIAL SIZE is set to ...

  1. User space automatic extendibility ...

    Hello all,

    I want to know if one user profile is owning many objects (more than 500 for
    example) on my system.
    I use QSYLOBJA to do this with a user space for wich the INITIAL SIZE is set
    to contain only the list of first 500 owned objects.

    My problem is that the system increases automatically the user space size to
    provide me the WHOLE LIST of owned objects, which can take a very long time.
    This happens even if I set the user space to be NOT automatically extendable
    with QUSCUSAT ...

    Could somebody explain to me this mistery ?

    Regards,

    Jean-François.

  2. Re: User space automatic extendibility ...

    Jean-François Cros wrote:

    > My problem is that the system increases automatically the user space size to
    > provide me the WHOLE LIST of owned objects, which can take a very long time.
    > This happens even if I set the user space to be NOT automatically extendable
    > with QUSCUSAT ...
    >
    > Could somebody explain to me this mistery ?

    Jean-François:

    See:

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...tionalinfo.htm
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/ys3ycl

    AFAIK, the "List" APIs have auto-extended user spaces since the APIs
    were first available. The APIs set the attribute to allow extension. If
    you set it first, the attribute will be re-set. I don't think there's
    anything you can do about it.

    To me, 500 objects seems like a small number. And if you really only
    want a limited number of owned objects listed, I'm not sure of a good
    way to do it. The only thing that comes to mind is to see what happens
    if you don't have *CHANGE authority to the space. (I'm not sure what
    authority is the minimum needed to list into a space -- I've always made
    sure I had enough.)

    That seems a little odd, but there's an implication in the documentation
    that seems to mean that a partial list will be put in the space. I've
    never wanted to limit elements in this way, so I have no idea what will
    happen.

    --
    Tom Liotta
    http://zap.to/tl400

  3. Re: User space automatic extendibility ...

    What I believe is desired, is to obtain the "Materialize count of
    owned objects" from MATAUOBJ ; presumably same as what the noted API
    uses, but with a limited receiver. Or perhaps "Number of used entries"
    for ownership from MATUP. I am not aware of an API that gives either,
    nor did I find header members in MIH file in QSYSINC. Maybe somebody
    has already written something similar; I came up empty on a search.

    PRTPRFINT gives some information _like_ this, of course only spooled
    output. That feature however, as observed from trace output, calls a
    user domain service program QSYPCTFUL, and it returns very quickly. I
    did not see it as a published API, but its interface was easily inferred
    if [you want to code to an unpublished interface and] it seems to
    provide sufficient detail.

    Regards, Chuck
    -- All comments provided "as is" with no warranties of any kind
    employer

    Jean-François Cros wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I want to know if one user profile is owning many objects (more than 500 for
    > example) on my system.
    > I use QSYLOBJA to do this with a user space for wich the INITIAL SIZE is set
    > to contain only the list of first 500 owned objects.
    >
    > My problem is that the system increases automatically the user space size to
    > provide me the WHOLE LIST of owned objects, which can take a very long time.
    > This happens even if I set the user space to be NOT automatically extendable
    > with QUSCUSAT ...
    >
    > Could somebody explain to me this mistery ?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jean-François.

+ Reply to Thread