SMTP authorization - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on SMTP authorization - IBM AS400 ; Hi. I'm trying to configure SMTP on new i5 520 OS5.4. Problem is that customers mail server require authentification. It's not a problem to turn it on on PC mail client but what about OS400? Now I get such a ...

  1. SMTP authorization

    Hi.

    I'm trying to configure SMTP on new i5 520 OS5.4.
    Problem is that customers mail server require authentification.
    It's not a problem to turn it on on PC mail client but what about OS400?

    Now I get such a return mails.

    Can anybody help?

    Subject: UNDELIVERABLE MAIL

    NOT ABLE TO DELIVER MAIL TO SOME/ALL RECIPIENTS.
    REPLY CODES WITH FIRST DIGIT = '4' OR '5' ARE ERROR REPLIES.
    ERRORS THAT DO NOT HAVE ERROR REPLY CODES MAY EXIST.

    HOST AS1 NOT ABLE TO DELIVER MAIL TO FOLLOWING RECIPIENT(S):

    MAIL REJECTED BY gmail WITH THE MESSAGE:

    550 You must be authenticated

    ** TEXT OF MAIL FOLLOWS **
    Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 10:24:01 +0000
    Subject: TEST

    Regards,
    Tomasz

  2. Re: SMTP authorization

    Another downside of the IBM SMTP server.. it doesn't do authentication
    that I know of.

    My MAILTOOL utility with MAILTOOL Plus can hand PLAIN and LOGIN
    authentication. These are used pretty often. May want to give it a
    try. You can download and get trial keys at www.bvstools.com/mailtool.html.

    MAILTOOL Plus is built into MAILTOOL, it simply needs it's own
    registration key for activation. It totally bypasses the IBM SMTP
    server, which in most cases is a good thing.

    Feel free to contact me with any questions. My contact info is on my
    website.

    Brad
    www.bvstools.com

    tomasz wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I'm trying to configure SMTP on new i5 520 OS5.4.
    > Problem is that customers mail server require authentification.
    > It's not a problem to turn it on on PC mail client but what about OS400?
    >
    > Now I get such a return mails.
    >
    > Can anybody help?
    >

    > Subject: UNDELIVERABLE MAIL
    >
    > NOT ABLE TO DELIVER MAIL TO SOME/ALL RECIPIENTS.
    > REPLY CODES WITH FIRST DIGIT = '4' OR '5' ARE ERROR REPLIES.
    > ERRORS THAT DO NOT HAVE ERROR REPLY CODES MAY EXIST.
    >
    > HOST AS1 NOT ABLE TO DELIVER MAIL TO FOLLOWING RECIPIENT(S):
    >
    > MAIL REJECTED BY gmail WITH THE MESSAGE:
    >
    > 550 You must be authenticated
    >
    > ** TEXT OF MAIL FOLLOWS **
    > Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 10:24:01 +0000
    > Subject: TEST
    >

    > Regards,
    > Tomasz

  3. Re: SMTP authorization

    On Mon, 28 May 2007 13:13:33 +0200, tomasz wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I'm trying to configure SMTP on new i5 520 OS5.4.
    > Problem is that customers mail server require authentification.
    > It's not a problem to turn it on on PC mail client but what about OS400?
    >
    > Now I get such a return mails.
    >
    > Can anybody help?
    >
    > Subject: UNDELIVERABLE MAIL
    >
    > NOT ABLE TO DELIVER MAIL TO SOME/ALL RECIPIENTS.
    > REPLY CODES WITH FIRST DIGIT = '4' OR '5' ARE ERROR REPLIES.
    > ERRORS THAT DO NOT HAVE ERROR REPLY CODES MAY EXIST.
    >
    > HOST AS1 NOT ABLE TO DELIVER MAIL TO FOLLOWING RECIPIENT(S):
    >
    > MAIL REJECTED BY gmail WITH THE MESSAGE:
    >
    > 550 You must be authenticated
    >
    > ** TEXT OF MAIL FOLLOWS **

    I am a bit confused as to why you would need to authenticate as a
    delivering server, unless you are asking that mail server to relay for you.
    Is that the case?

  4. Re: SMTP authorization

    Peter H. Coffin wrote:
    > I am a bit confused as to why you would need to authenticate as a
    > delivering server, unless you are asking that mail server to relay for you.
    > Is that the case?

    Some mail relays require authentication. I'm guessing this is the case.
    If they're not using a mail router you're really looking for headings
    with RDNS, etc.. but even still then authentication may be required.

  5. Re: SMTP authorization

    Bradley V. Stone napisaƂ(a):
    > Peter H. Coffin wrote:
    >> I am a bit confused as to why you would need to authenticate as a
    >> delivering server, unless you are asking that mail server to relay for
    >> you.
    >> Is that the case?

    > Some mail relays require authentication. I'm guessing this is the case.
    > If they're not using a mail router you're really looking for headings
    > with RDNS, etc.. but even still then authentication may be required.

    Hi.
    Thanks for answers.
    I asked customer to turn off authentification
    for mails from my i5. It works fine.

    Tomasz

+ Reply to Thread