Lexmark printer woes - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Lexmark printer woes - IBM AS400 ; Hi We are a logistics company with several depots across the UK. At our data centre each depot has a dedicated iSeries box. For several years we have been successfully using Lexmark T620 printers with Optra Form DIMMs installed to ...

  1. Lexmark printer woes

    Hi
    We are a logistics company with several depots across the UK. At our
    data centre each depot has a dedicated iSeries box.
    For several years we have been successfully using Lexmark T620
    printers with Optra Form DIMMs installed to produce forms based on
    spool files sent to remote outqs.

    When we commissioned a new depot it was found out that Lexmark no
    longer sell T620s and that we were recommended to get T640 plus a
    different forms card and a suite of software to redevelop our existing
    form.

    Our experience with Lexmark support has been less than enjoyable! They
    direct us to another company who provide there support for this area.
    They tell us that the conversion tool for Optra Forms to LDSS does not
    work and that we should start looking into other solutions.

    The nice thing about our current setup is that all the depots have
    indepent setups the only major point of failiure being the printers
    which once could have been replaced. The solutions suggest all require
    new servers etc.

    Does anybody else out there had to endure this scenario?

  2. Re: Lexmark printer woes

    Hi, here are my experience and thoughts, hope they are of use:

    I work for a UK iSeries ISV in the tech services division, we have a
    number of clients that used OptraForms, it was a reliable, easy to
    implement product. Over the last couple of years we been migrating
    clients away from it to other methods of spool generation. I looked
    and the new Forms product from Lexmark and didn't see the cost benefit
    of migrating to it compared to some of the others on the market.

    My general advice would be:

    For simple overlays use native iSeries overlays, they are free and
    relatively easy to implement. This will work with just about any
    PCL5+ printer not just Lexmark.

    For medium complexity use native iSeries Page Segments with 5722IP1 -
    Info Print Server. This is low cost and works with any PDF compatible
    printers. Supports font substitution, bar coding & colour but you do
    need access to the code.

    For complex print environments use a 3rd Party product like Interform,
    this is a native iSeries app that allow you to collate, combine and
    separate spool files. You can then combine overlays and print, fax or
    email the results. This does not require access to the code. This
    tool works with just about any PCL5+ printer.

    One thing that I would not do again is buy into a print solution that
    is tied to a specific printer manufacturer, they have you over a
    barrel then.

    There are plenty of used Lexmark Optra printer that will run
    OptraForms DIMMs on the market so you might want or consider
    stockpiling a few and then taking your time choosing the replacement.

    If you want to chat about it in more detail, feel free to drop me an
    email any time.

    Cheers, Brad.

  3. Re: Lexmark printer woes

    Hi,

    I have a solution that would provide low overhead distributed
    capability at each site.
    I manufacture OctoTools ( www.octotools.com ) which can take your
    spooled output sent to each site (for one or more printers) and merge
    the data with a predefined form and print to ANY Windows based PS, PCL
    printer or digital copier. Form changes can be made instantly. Based
    on incoming data values, we can also switch forms, change field value
    and formatting, hide fields and much more. ,You will be transmitting
    pure ASCII, which could also potentially be compressed. At the remote
    site you will need a Windows PC (could be an existing shared use
    system). I believe that you will find the solution more flexible than
    your current approach.

    Cheers,

    Murray

    On May 25, 6:13 am, GSER wrote:
    > Hi
    > We are a logistics company with several depots across the UK. At our
    > data centre each depot has a dedicated iSeries box.
    > For several years we have been successfully using Lexmark T620
    > printers with Optra Form DIMMs installed to produce forms based on
    > spool files sent to remote outqs.
    >
    > When we commissioned a new depot it was found out that Lexmark no
    > longer sell T620s and that we were recommended to get T640 plus a
    > different forms card and a suite of software to redevelop our existing
    > form.
    >
    > Our experience with Lexmark support has been less than enjoyable! They
    > direct us to another company who provide there support for this area.
    > They tell us that the conversion tool for Optra Forms to LDSS does not
    > work and that we should start looking into other solutions.
    >
    > The nice thing about our current setup is that all the depots have
    > indepent setups the only major point of failiure being the printers
    > which once could have been replaced. The solutions suggest all require
    > new servers etc.
    >
    > Does anybody else out there had to endure this scenario?

+ Reply to Thread