Verify entire system save? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Verify entire system save? - IBM AS400 ; Hello. I had perform a GO SAVE Option 21 save. According to a IBM document, i must see in History log, msg like CPC3702,CPC3707... etc But nothing to see any of CPCXXXXX? In my dsplog i have after ENDSBS(* ALL) ...

  1. Verify entire system save?

    Hello.

    I had perform a GO SAVE Option 21 save.

    According to a IBM document, i must see in History log, msg like
    CPC3702,CPC3707... etc

    But nothing to see any of CPCXXXXX?

    In my dsplog i have after ENDSBS(* ALL) folowing:

    SAVE SYSTEM(SAVSYS) command has Completed processing.

    10 objects saved from LIBXXX
    50 Objects saved from LIBYYY

    58 LIBRARYS are saved.
    5000 Object are saved.

    And than, restarts the System.

    How can else insure that go save was succesfolly?

    Thanks.

    PS: Release are 4v5

  2. Re: Verify entire system save?

    On 25 Maj, 09:04, marsias wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I had perform a GO SAVE Option 21 save.
    >
    > According to a IBM document, i must see in History log, msg like
    > CPC3702,CPC3707... etc
    >
    > But nothing to see any of CPCXXXXX?
    >
    > In my dsplog i have after ENDSBS(* ALL) folowing:
    >
    > SAVE SYSTEM(SAVSYS) command has Completed processing.
    >
    > 10 objects saved from LIBXXX
    > 50 Objects saved from LIBYYY
    >
    > 58 LIBRARYS are saved.
    > 5000 Object are saved.
    >
    > And than, restarts the System.
    >
    > How can else insure that go save was succesfolly?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > PS: Release are 4v5

    The CPC* messages IBM are referring to are message ID's (numbers). Not
    the text itself.

    As far as I can see from your log, the SAVE has completed normally. To
    see the message ID's, you can place the cursor in the line og one of
    the messages, and press F1 to see additional information.

    Regards
    Niels

  3. Re: Verify entire system save?

    Hello Niels.

    Thank you, your are right.

    I have another question about GO SAVE.

    I had try to SAVE the entire system to a NEW, BLANK Tape.

    I saw in a used tape(dsptap) what are the format of the tape:

    Volume ID: BACKUP
    DEnsity: *MLR3
    Code: *EBCDIC
    Type: *SL

    I envoke a INZ tape for the new tape, with following parameters:

    New Volume ID: *NONE
    NEW owner ID: *BLANK
    Check of active files: *NO
    Density: *MLR3
    CODE : *EBCDIC
    Clear : *NO

    After i started the GO SAVE (21) command , i had a MSGW on qsysopr
    which says : Wrong type of tape with the options (C, INZ, R). After i
    answered the msg with INZ, the command has NOT Resumed?

    I try this 2-3 times with the same result(DSCJOB and again go save(21)
    etc).

    Finally, i have used a used tape with no problems.

    What is here wrong??

    Thank you.

  4. Re: Verify entire system save?

    I am not clear on the results of the INZ action, as to why it does or
    perhaps can not effect a volume identifier as *SL [standard label] and
    allow the tape to be used, but the problem is almost surely for having
    initialized the tape as *NL [unlabled].
    The SAVxxx & RSTxxx commands operate on standard label tapes, which
    means there is a Volume Identifier [if not also other attributes].
    Refer to the full help text for the NEWVOL() parameter on INZTAP. The
    help text on the CLEAR() parameter for SAVxxx alludes to the standard
    label requirement by suggesting to "initialize tapes to a standard label
    format before the save command is issued by using the Initialize Tape
    (INZTAP) command and specifying a value for the NEWVOL parameter."
    Additionally it is noted that if "a volume that is not initialized is
    encountered during the save operation, an inquiry message is sent and an
    operator can initialize the volume." The tape in the described scenario
    was initialized, but not as *SL. Perhaps there is a restriction for the
    INZ response to the inquiry, to effect the change from *NL to *SL.?

    Regards, Chuck
    -- All comments provided "as is" with no warranties of any kind
    employer

    marsias wrote:
    > Hello Niels.
    >
    > Thank you, your are right.
    >
    > I have another question about GO SAVE.
    >
    > I had try to SAVE the entire system to a NEW, BLANK Tape.
    >
    > I saw in a used tape(dsptap) what are the format of the tape:
    >
    > Volume ID: BACKUP
    > DEnsity: *MLR3
    > Code: *EBCDIC
    > Type: *SL
    >
    > I envoke a INZ tape for the new tape, with following parameters:
    >
    > New Volume ID: *NONE
    > NEW owner ID: *BLANK
    > Check of active files: *NO
    > Density: *MLR3
    > CODE : *EBCDIC
    > Clear : *NO
    >
    > After i started the GO SAVE (21) command , i had a MSGW on qsysopr
    > which says : Wrong type of tape with the options (C, INZ, R). After i
    > answered the msg with INZ, the command has NOT Resumed?
    >
    > I try this 2-3 times with the same result(DSCJOB and again go save(21)
    > etc).
    >
    > Finally, i have used a used tape with no problems.
    >
    > What is here wrong??
    >
    > Thank you.

  5. Re: Verify entire system save?

    On May 25, 12:04 am, marsias wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I had perform a GO SAVE Option 21 save.
    >
    > According to a IBM document, i must see in History log, msg like
    > CPC3702,CPC3707... etc
    >
    > But nothing to see any of CPCXXXXX?
    >
    > In my dsplog i have after ENDSBS(* ALL) folowing:
    >
    > SAVE SYSTEM(SAVSYS) command has Completed processing.
    >
    > 10 objects saved from LIBXXX
    > 50 Objects saved from LIBYYY
    >
    > 58 LIBRARYS are saved.
    > 5000 Object are saved.
    >
    > And than, restarts the System.
    >
    > How can else insure that go save was succesfolly?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > PS: Release are 4v5

    Next time output the results to a file and query that (it should tell
    you what was or was not saved) or DSPTAP DEV(TAP01) DATA(*SAVRST) to
    get a LARGE listing of every object written to tape. I think you even
    get a separate report for the IFS.

  6. Re: Verify entire system save?

    On 25 Maj, 23:14, Thad Rizzi wrote:
    > On May 25, 12:04 am, marsias wrote:
    >

    > > Hello.

    > > I had perform a GO SAVE Option 21 save.

    > > According to a IBM document, i must see in History log, msg like
    > > CPC3702,CPC3707... etc

    > > But nothing to see any of CPCXXXXX?

    > > In my dsplog i have after ENDSBS(* ALL) folowing:

    > > SAVE SYSTEM(SAVSYS) command has Completed processing.

    > > 10 objects saved from LIBXXX
    > > 50 Objects saved from LIBYYY

    > > 58 LIBRARYS are saved.
    > > 5000 Object are saved.

    > > And than, restarts the System.

    > > How can else insure that go save was succesfolly?

    > > Thanks.

    > > PS: Release are 4v5

    > Next time output the results to a file and query that (it should tell
    > you what was or was not saved) or DSPTAP DEV(TAP01) DATA(*SAVRST) to
    > get a LARGE listing of every object written to tape. I think you even
    > get a separate report for the IFS.- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -
    >
    > - Vis tekst i anførselstegn -

    Chris is correct.

    You need to have a value in the volume ID. I usually go with VOL001 or
    something like that.

    Niels

  7. Re: Verify entire system save?

    nsm wrote:
    > On 25 Maj, 23:14, Thad Rizzi wrote:
    >> On May 25, 12:04 am, marsias wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hello.

    >>> I had perform a GO SAVE Option 21 save.

    >>> According to a IBM document, i must see in History log, msg like
    >>> CPC3702,CPC3707... etc

    >>> But nothing to see any of CPCXXXXX?

    >>> In my dsplog i have after ENDSBS(* ALL) folowing:

    >>> SAVE SYSTEM(SAVSYS) command has Completed processing.

    >>> 10 objects saved from LIBXXX
    >>> 50 Objects saved from LIBYYY

    >>> 58 LIBRARYS are saved.
    >>> 5000 Object are saved.

    >>> And than, restarts the System.

    >>> How can else insure that go save was succesfolly?

    >>> Thanks.

    >>> PS: Release are 4v5

    >> Next time output the results to a file and query that (it should tell
    >> you what was or was not saved) or DSPTAP DEV(TAP01) DATA(*SAVRST) to
    >> get a LARGE listing of every object written to tape. I think you
    >> even get a separate report for the IFS.- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn
    >> -
    >>
    >> - Vis tekst i anførselstegn -

    > Chris is correct.
    >
    > You need to have a value in the volume ID. I usually go with VOL001 or
    > something like that.
    >
    > Niels

    default DENSITY param of INZTAP is *DEVTYPE.

    If you never use this type of cartrige, you can think about
    CHGCMDDFT INZTAP DENSITY(xxxxxx) where xxxxxx is your tape density.

    best regards, ff

+ Reply to Thread