Power6 system shows 58% performance increase - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Power6 system shows 58% performance increase - IBM AS400 ; from the excellent ITJungle online publication, the new Power6 p570 shows a 58% performance improvement over its Power5+ equivalent: http://www.itjungle.com/tug/tug052407-story03.html "...By February 2006, IBM's benchmarketeers were testing a System p5 570 server using 2.2 GHz Power5+ cores, and with AIX ...

  1. Power6 system shows 58% performance increase

    from the excellent ITJungle online publication, the new Power6 p570
    shows a 58% performance improvement over its Power5+ equivalent:

    http://www.itjungle.com/tug/tug052407-story03.html

    "...By February 2006, IBM's benchmarketeers were testing a System p5
    570 server using 2.2 GHz Power5+ cores, and with AIX 5.3 and a much-
    improved DB2 8.2 database, this box, with the same main memory but
    only 61.8 TB of disk capacity, was able to push 1.025 million TPM for
    a list price of $7.97 million; after a 43 percent discount, IBM was
    able to show bang for the buck at $4.42 per TPM on the TPC-C
    test. ..."

    "...Jump ahead to May 2007. A System p 570 server, which has a new CPU
    card, a new memory subsystem, and a new I/O subsystem plugging into
    the same motherboards that the Power5+ servers used, has been tested
    with the Power6 servers and 768 GB of main memory. Like the prior two
    570 boxes, this one also has 16 cores, but these Power6 cores run at
    4.7 GHz. This box is running a modified AIX 5.3 operating system that
    knows how to speak to the Power6 chip (which is done with a patch to
    the kernel) and a future release of DB2 9.1 that will not be ready
    until this November 21. On the same TPC-C benchmark test, this Power6
    box is able to process 1.62 million TPM ..."

    "...Amazingly, the System p 570 box using the Power6 chips is set up
    with not only 50 percent more memory, but 117 TB of disk capacity. The
    base 16-core System p 570 server has a list price of $2.14 million not
    including storage, with $1.45 million of that coming just to put all
    that memory in the box. The storage IBM attached to the box cost $6.44
    million, and the system software cost $539,698. With client hardware
    and software and three years of maintenance, the total price tag for
    the System p 570 Power6-based system under test cost just a few bucks
    under $10 million. But to offset some of the cost of that storage, IBM
    cut the price with a 43 percent discount again, yielding a bang for
    the buck of $3.54 per TPM. That represents a 58 percent increase in
    performance of the Power6 machine over the Power5+ machine, and a 20
    percent improvement in bang for the buck. ..."

  2. Re: Power6 system shows 58% performance increase

    OK but why is IBM so reluctant to show System I benchmarks? Is System I
    somethng to be ashamed of?

  3. Re: Power6 system shows 58% performance increase

    "CENTRINO" wrote in message
    | OK but why is IBM so reluctant to show System I benchmarks? Is
    System I
    | somethng to be ashamed of?

    The new P6 unlike the P5+ has hardware for packed decimal arithmetic
    which is needed for most SYS-i business applications. If IBM was
    really interested in pushing the SYS-i we should not be surprised that
    the performance boost would be even more than the 58% reported.

    Mike Sicilian

  4. Re: Power6 system shows 58% performance increase

    On May 24, 12:13 pm, "mike" wrote:
    > "CENTRINO" wrote in message

    > | OK but why is IBM so reluctant to show System I benchmarks? Is
    > System I
    > | somethng to be ashamed of?
    >
    > The new P6 unlike the P5+ has hardware for packed decimal arithmetic
    > which is needed for most SYS-i business applications. If IBM was
    > really interested in pushing the SYS-i we should not be surprised that
    > the performance boost would be even more than the 58% reported.

    the added performance is needed for string processing aspects of xml
    and web apps. A big concern has to be that i5 sales are going to
    suffer over the next 2-3 quarters as customers wait for the faster
    systems to be brought to market.

    -Steve

  5. Re: Power6 system shows 58% performance increase

    Steve Richter writes:

    > with the Power6 servers and 768 GB of main memory. Like the prior two

    I want one of those Must be great for editing raw videofootage in memory
    --
    Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

  6. Re: Power6 system shows 58% performance increase

    I would have more chance of seeing one if it performed thw same as
    POWER5+ but cost 58% less. :-)

+ Reply to Thread