RAID 5 + 1 - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on RAID 5 + 1 - IBM AS400 ; Knock on wood the iSeries has been very solid. Browsing through the iSeries Navigator items I noticed our disk system is using RAID 5. Is there any way to add a cold spare, which would start rebuilding automatically? Our Compaq ...

  1. RAID 5 + 1

    Knock on wood the iSeries has been very solid. Browsing through the iSeries
    Navigator items I noticed our disk system is using RAID 5. Is there any way
    to add a cold spare, which would start rebuilding automatically?

    Our Compaq DL380 servers are configured with way: one drive is off until one
    of the other drives fails. This way, THREE drives would have to fail before
    we were dead in the water.

    -Bob

  2. Re: RAID 5 + 1

    RAID 6 Support

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...5r4/index.jsp?
    topic=/rzaly/rzalydpp.htm

    --
    Ad,

    What's The Use Of Getting Sober
    (When You're Gonna Get Drunk Again)

  3. Re: RAID 5 + 1

    * Ad :
    > RAID 6 Support

    RAID6 is not the same as a hot spare (though i would argue that
    RAID6 is better than RAID5 with hot spare).

    As far as my knowledge goes, the System i doesn't support hot
    spares.

    --
    Read my blog at http://projectdream.org

  4. Re: RAID 5 + 1

    Lukas Beeler said the following on 27.travanj 2007 21:13:
    > * Ad :
    >> RAID 6 Support

    > RAID6 is not the same as a hot spare (though i would argue that
    > RAID6 is better than RAID5 with hot spare).
    >
    > As far as my knowledge goes, the System i doesn't support hot
    > spares.

    And he might use Mirroring to achieve better protection. Don't compare
    Compaq and i5. i5 is way better machine.

    --
    Dejan Rodiger - PGP ID 0xAC8722DC
    Delete wirus from e-mail address

  5. Re: RAID 5 + 1

    This capability, to have n-number of cold spares that will be
    autoconfigued and deployed into service automatically as the result of
    a disk failure, was announced on July 24. It will be part of the next
    release of the i5/OS...V6R1.

  6. Re: RAID 5 + 1

    Actually if you load up V5R4M5 LIC you can use this function/feature on
    V5R4 of i5/OS

    Darryl Johns wrote:
    > This capability, to have n-number of cold spares that will be
    > autoconfigued and deployed into service automatically as the result of
    > a disk failure, was announced on July 24. It will be part of the next
    > release of the i5/OS...V6R1.

+ Reply to Thread