AS400 170 replace drives - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on AS400 170 replace drives - IBM AS400 ; I have an AS400 170 running V5R2 it has 10 drives six of which are 4gb(6607) and four 8gb(6817) I would like to replace four of the 4gb with new 17gb drives. When I add the new drives the system ...

  1. AS400 170 replace drives

    I have an AS400 170 running V5R2 it has 10 drives six of which are 4gb(6607)
    and four 8gb(6817) I would like to replace four of the 4gb with new 17gb
    drives.
    When I add the new drives the system does not recognize the drives. Are
    there specific locations that the 17gb drives must be inserted?
    thanks in advance

  2. Re: AS400 170 replace drives

    Marlon Wade wrote:

    > I have an AS400 170 running V5R2 it has 10 drives six of which are 4gb(6607)
    > and four 8gb(6817) I would like to replace four of the 4gb with new 17gb
    > drives.
    > When I add the new drives the system does not recognize the drives. Are
    > there specific locations that the 17gb drives must be inserted?
    > thanks in advance

    Marlon:

    I suspect that your 170 doesn't support 17GB drives. I don't know if any
    170s support them, but I haven't looked to see if there are exceptions.

    --
    Tom Liotta
    http://zap.to/tl400

  3. Re: AS400 170 replace drives

    Marion

    Don't lose heart, the IBM system builder does states that the 170
    supports both #6818 & #6824 17.5GB disk units from V4R4 onwards.

    Assuming that you are using V4R4 or newer, you have a decent cumm PTF
    pack load and all the disks you are talking about are in the system
    unit and sidecar, then there are no restrictions of disk placement.
    It is more likely that the disks are either faulty or that they have
    data on them already that needs erasing before they will be allowed
    into your ASP(s)

    Please confirm if the 17.5GB disk units show up at all in any of the
    DST/SST displays, if so what status (including 3 digit code after disk
    model) they show as. I think it likely that your 4 new disks have a
    parity stripe on them from their previous life, which you will need to
    delete before adding them into your system.

    I don't know what you plan to do with this 170 but you should be aware
    that IBM councils against mixing such massively different disk sizes
    in the same ASP, as it can affect performance. That said, if you were
    to mirror the 2 x 4GB for load source and create two parity sets for 8
    & 17GB disks you would probably get away with it.

    Hope this helps.

    Good Luck, Brad

  4. Re: AS400 170 replace drives

    Brad,
    My system is running V5R2 and the most current Cumm PTF. That said I am
    using DST and the Service manager options to remove the old drives and add
    the new ones. The problem is that my system does not recognize the new
    drives.
    Thanks in advance

    "Brad" wrote in message
    news:1175337080.858820.178400@q75g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
    > Marion
    >
    > Don't lose heart, the IBM system builder does states that the 170
    > supports both #6818 & #6824 17.5GB disk units from V4R4 onwards.
    >
    > Assuming that you are using V4R4 or newer, you have a decent cumm PTF
    > pack load and all the disks you are talking about are in the system
    > unit and sidecar, then there are no restrictions of disk placement.
    > It is more likely that the disks are either faulty or that they have
    > data on them already that needs erasing before they will be allowed
    > into your ASP(s)
    >
    > Please confirm if the 17.5GB disk units show up at all in any of the
    > DST/SST displays, if so what status (including 3 digit code after disk
    > model) they show as. I think it likely that your 4 new disks have a
    > parity stripe on them from their previous life, which you will need to
    > delete before adding them into your system.
    >
    > I don't know what you plan to do with this 170 but you should be aware
    > that IBM councils against mixing such massively different disk sizes
    > in the same ASP, as it can affect performance. That said, if you were
    > to mirror the 2 x 4GB for load source and create two parity sets for 8
    > & 17GB disks you would probably get away with it.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Good Luck, Brad

  5. Re: AS400 170 replace drives

    OK, we need to get a bit more information to diagnose the problem, as
    it sounds like what you are trying to do is feasible.

    1) Can you confirm which of the two types of 17.5GB disk you are
    trying to install the #6818 or #6824?

    2) Can you confirm you are trying to install them in the system unit
    and or side car (not a disk expansion tower)

    3) What if any disk protection are you using with the existing disk
    units?

    4) Did you have any problems removing the 4GB disks from the current
    ASP and disk protection?

    Then if we look at the information shown in DST, take the option to
    work with disk units, then tell us what you see in the following
    optoins:

    a) Display disk configuration status
    b) Display non-configured units
    c) Display disk configuration protection

    As even if you can not add the disks, we need to find out if they are
    being reported by the Sysyem Licensed Internal Code (SLIC).

    Lot of typing I know but we need to see as much as we can of what you
    to help.

    Cheers, Brad

  6. Re: AS400 170 replace drives

    Brad wrote:

    > 1) Can you confirm which of the two types of 17.5GB disk you are
    > trying to install the #6818 or #6824?

    Brad:

    Thanks for prodding me to look too. Last I looked for my 170, 17GB
    drives weren't available, but maybe I didn't look far enough. The reason
    I was looking was to see why V5R4 wasn't possible and the first obstacle
    was that 17GB drives were required for load-source.

    Now that you have me looking again, I see that 17GB drives are even
    listed under the MFIOP. Cool.

    Of course, performance, etc., for the drive units is significantly
    reduced below rated capabilities, but it's nice to see that space can be
    available.

    I'll be watching this thread to see how it goes.

    Thanks again.

    Tom Liotta

    > 2) Can you confirm you are trying to install them in the system unit
    > and or side car (not a disk expansion tower)
    >
    > 3) What if any disk protection are you using with the existing disk
    > units?
    >
    > 4) Did you have any problems removing the 4GB disks from the current
    > ASP and disk protection?
    >
    > Then if we look at the information shown in DST, take the option to
    > work with disk units, then tell us what you see in the following
    > optoins:
    >
    > a) Display disk configuration status
    > b) Display non-configured units
    > c) Display disk configuration protection
    >
    > As even if you can not add the disks, we need to find out if they are
    > being reported by the Sysyem Licensed Internal Code (SLIC).

    --
    Tom Liotta
    http://zap.to/tl400

  7. Re: AS400 170 replace drives

    Tom Liotta schreef:
    > Brad wrote:
    >
    >> 1) Can you confirm which of the two types of 17.5GB disk you are
    >> trying to install the #6818 or #6824?

    > Brad:
    >
    > Thanks for prodding me to look too. Last I looked for my 170, 17GB
    > drives weren't available, but maybe I didn't look far enough. The reason
    > I was looking was to see why V5R4 wasn't possible and the first obstacle
    > was that 17GB drives were required for load-source.
    >
    > Now that you have me looking again, I see that 17GB drives are even
    > listed under the MFIOP. Cool.
    >
    > Of course, performance, etc., for the drive units is significantly
    > reduced below rated capabilities, but it's nice to see that space can be
    > available.
    >
    > I'll be watching this thread to see how it goes.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Tom Liotta
    >
    >> 2) Can you confirm you are trying to install them in the system unit
    >> and or side car (not a disk expansion tower)
    >>
    >> 3) What if any disk protection are you using with the existing disk
    >> units?
    >>
    >> 4) Did you have any problems removing the 4GB disks from the current
    >> ASP and disk protection?
    >>
    >> Then if we look at the information shown in DST, take the option to
    >> work with disk units, then tell us what you see in the following
    >> optoins:
    >>
    >> a) Display disk configuration status
    >> b) Display non-configured units
    >> c) Display disk configuration protection
    >>
    >> As even if you can not add the disks, we need to find out if they are
    >> being reported by the Sysyem Licensed Internal Code (SLIC).

    From the System Builder's Guide:

    17.54GB Additional Two-byte Disk Unit (Ultra SCSI)
    Provides a 3 ˝-inch single disk unit with 17.54GB capacity for
    additional disk storage. Requires V4R3. This is a Customer
    Setup Feature (CSU) on a Model 170 for an MES that only includes CSU
    features. #6824 supports integrated hardware
    disk compression at V4R4.

    17.54GB Optional Base Two-byte Disk Unit (Ultra SCSI)
    Provides a 3 ˝-inch single disk unit with 17.54GB capacity as the
    optional Base disk unit in place of #9707. Requires
    V4R3. #8824 supports integrated hardware disk compression at V4R4.

    AFAIK the 10krpm drive is not supported, only the 7k2rpm version.

    --
    Vriendelijke groeten / Best regards,

    René H. Hartman
    www.hac-maarssen.nl

  8. Re: AS400 170 replace drives

    Hi Rene

    We seem to have a slight mismatch of information, below is the section
    I'm using for reference from the V5R3 System Builder (SG24-2155-10)
    October 2004 / February 2005 revision. I've limitted my comments to
    the #6818 & #6824 as these are the most common models I've
    encounted. I can not see the limitions you mention in your post on
    the 10K models for the Model 170? Which version of the system
    builder are you referencing?

    Hopefully, it's accedimic and Marlon's problems are to do with the
    disks needing to be initialised first before they are added but if not
    and they do not report in, then your info could be more accruate than
    mine.....

    I don't want to side track this thread as Marlon is the one with the
    issue, I'm just keen not to offer someone bad advice.

    Cheers, Brad

    #6818 #6818 17.54 GB 10k RPM Disk Unit (Two-byte) (Ultra SCSI)
    The #6818 provides a 3 ˝-inch single disk unit with 17.54 GB of high-
    performance (10k RPM) capacity.
    Minimum operating system level: OS/400 V4R4
    The #6818 is a Customer Install Feature for an MES that only includes
    CIF features.
    The #6818 was withdrawn from marketing on 01 June 2004.

    #6824 #6824 17.54 GB Disk Unit (Two-Byte) (Ultra SCSI)
    The #6824 provides a 3 ˝-inch single disk unit with 17.54 GB capacity
    for additional disk storage.
    The #6824 supports integrated hardware disk compression.
    Minimum operating system level: OS/400 V4R4
    The #6824 is a Customer Install Feature for an MES that only includes
    CIF features.

    #8818 #8818 17.54 GB Optional Base Two-byte Disk Unit 10k RPM(Ultra
    SCSI)
    The #8817 provides a 3 ˝-inch single disk unit with 17.54 GB of high-

    #8824 17.54 GB Optional Base Two-byte Disk Unit (Ultra SCSI)
    The #8824 provides a 3 ˝-inch single disk unit with 17.54 GB capacity
    as the optional base disk unit in place of a #9707
    4.19 GB Base Two-byte Disk Unit (Ultra SCSI).
    The #8824 supports integrated hardware disk compression.
    Minimum operating system level: OS/400 V4R2
    The #8824 was withdrawn from marketing on 31 January 2001.

  9. Re: AS400 170 replace drives

    Rene,

    the 10k RPM drives 6718 are supported and working. And - in opposite to
    some information in the system builder, the machines mostly support more
    than the system builder writes. One of my 170 currently runs with 45
    disk drives, among them several 6718.

    -h

    "René H. Hartman" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:460f8b35$0$713$5fc3050@dreader2.news.tiscali. nl...

    > AFAIK the 10krpm drive is not supported, only the 7k2rpm version.

  10. Re: AS400 170 replace drives

    Brad,

    The type is 6824
    I am installing them in the side car
    I am using RAID 5
    No problems removing the 4GB
    On the display disk config sts it shows the drived I removed as Failed
    There are no non-configured units after I install the new drive (still shows
    the old disk as failed)
    From what I can tell the system is not even reporting the disk.

    "Brad" wrote in message
    news:1175376206.106201.284230@y66g2000hsf.googlegr oups.com...
    > OK, we need to get a bit more information to diagnose the problem, as
    > it sounds like what you are trying to do is feasible.
    >
    > 1) Can you confirm which of the two types of 17.5GB disk you are
    > trying to install the #6818 or #6824?
    >
    > 2) Can you confirm you are trying to install them in the system unit
    > and or side car (not a disk expansion tower)
    >
    > 3) What if any disk protection are you using with the existing disk
    > units?
    >
    > 4) Did you have any problems removing the 4GB disks from the current
    > ASP and disk protection?
    >
    > Then if we look at the information shown in DST, take the option to
    > work with disk units, then tell us what you see in the following
    > optoins:
    >
    > a) Display disk configuration status
    > b) Display non-configured units
    > c) Display disk configuration protection
    >
    > As even if you can not add the disks, we need to find out if they are
    > being reported by the Sysyem Licensed Internal Code (SLIC).
    >
    > Lot of typing I know but we need to see as much as we can of what you
    > to help.
    >
    > Cheers, Brad

  11. Re: AS400 170 replace drives

    OK I think we need to consentrate on the removal of the old 4GB disk
    units, I do not think the system did successfully remove the old disks
    and so will not let you replace the 4GB unit(s) with anything else
    other than another 4GB unit until you have sucessfully removed the old
    units.

    What happened during the removal of these units? Did you get any odd
    messages? Can you describe what you did.

    I'm sorry if the next couple of comments sound obvious but it's best
    to play safe at this point:

    1) Were the old 4GB units acutally used in the system before you
    started / does the system still IPL?

    2) You really do need to have a full backup of the170 (preferably a go
    save 21), as whilst the system is in this state, if more than 1 disk
    in a single array fail you will lose the contense of that ASP.

    3) The removal process should have been to remove the 4GB disk units
    from the ASP first, then to remove them from the Parity (RAID) set and
    if you are removing all of the 4GB disks then you will need to stop
    parity for that set all together.

    4) Is this a production system or just a spare DR, test or
    development?

    5) Is one of the 4GB disks you are planning on removing the load
    source disk?

    6) Do you want to keep the contents of the 170 or would you like to
    scratch it and reload everything?

    There are some detailed instructions on how to remove the disks from
    the RAID set in the IBM Information Centre, link below. You may need
    to refit the 4GB disks and successfully remove them before moving on
    to install the 17.5GB units.

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iserie...albcheck13.htm

    Hope this helps, Brad

  12. Re: AS400 170 replace drives

    Brad,

    I did not receive any odd message when I removed the first drive.
    I went into SST then started a service tool.
    I then selected the option for Hardware Service Manager
    Then the option for Device Concurrent Maintenance
    I selected the frame id of 1 and location of F12
    Then I selected the option to Remove the device
    Once the light on the drive started to flash I removed the drive.
    I then selected the option to add a drive to the same frame id and location
    when the drive started to flicker I inserted the new 17gb drive.

    Were the old 4GB units acutally used in the system before you
    started / does the system still IPL? Yes

    I do not have a full backup of the system
    This is a development system
    I am not planning to remove the load source drives
    I must keep the contents of the 170

    Thanks

    "Brad" wrote in message
    news:1175456319.636964.198010@y80g2000hsf.googlegr oups.com...
    > OK I think we need to consentrate on the removal of the old 4GB disk
    > units, I do not think the system did successfully remove the old disks
    > and so will not let you replace the 4GB unit(s) with anything else
    > other than another 4GB unit until you have sucessfully removed the old
    > units.
    >
    > What happened during the removal of these units? Did you get any odd
    > messages? Can you describe what you did.
    >
    > I'm sorry if the next couple of comments sound obvious but it's best
    > to play safe at this point:
    >
    > 1) Were the old 4GB units acutally used in the system before you
    > started / does the system still IPL? Yes
    >
    > 2) You really do need to have a full backup of the170 (preferably a go
    > save 21), as whilst the system is in this state, if more than 1 disk
    > in a single array fail you will lose the contense of that ASP.
    >
    > 3) The removal process should have been to remove the 4GB disk units
    > from the ASP first, then to remove them from the Parity (RAID) set and
    > if you are removing all of the 4GB disks then you will need to stop
    > parity for that set all together.
    >
    > 4) Is this a production system or just a spare DR, test or
    > development?
    >
    > 5) Is one of the 4GB disks you are planning on removing the load
    > source disk?
    >
    > 6) Do you want to keep the contents of the 170 or would you like to
    > scratch it and reload everything?
    >
    > There are some detailed instructions on how to remove the disks from
    > the RAID set in the IBM Information Centre, link below. You may need
    > to refit the 4GB disks and successfully remove them before moving on
    > to install the 17.5GB units.
    >
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iserie...albcheck13.htm
    >
    > Hope this helps, Brad

  13. Re: AS400 170 replace drives

    Hi Marlon,

    OK I think this explains the problem.

    The Device Concurrent Maintenance option does not do what I believe
    you think it does. It is designed only to allow you to plug and
    unplug hot-swappable devices. So for example if you have a disk in a
    RAID set fails, you can use the function to allow you to replace the
    drive and resume the disk protection without powering off the server.

    To remove a disk (or disks) from the configuration all together you
    will need to use DST to remove disks first from the ASP then from this
    RAID set.

    This is why the system will not allow you to fit a 17.5GB disk in
    place of the 4GB disk yet and why your system reports the old 4GB disk
    as failed. As far as your system is concerned you've had the
    equivalent of a disk fail as you've removed it from the system without
    removing it from the configuration.

    I put the link in here that I posted earlier in the thread as it
    explains the process in detail. But I think you will need to refit
    the 4GB disk and recover the RAID set before you can remove it
    properly.

    I hope this helps, but either way, back you system up VERY soon!

    As ever, I wish you luck, Brad

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iserie...albcheck13.htm

  14. Re: AS400 170 replace drives

    Are you following the manual ???

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/h...f/model250.htm

    Marlon Wade wrote:

    > I have an AS400 170 running V5R2 it has 10 drives six of which are 4gb(6607)
    > and four 8gb(6817) I would like to replace four of the 4gb with new 17gb
    > drives.
    > When I add the new drives the system does not recognize the drives. Are
    > there specific locations that the 17gb drives must be inserted?
    > thanks in advance

  15. Re: AS400 170 replace drives

    Brad,
    Thanks for all your help I finally did an entire save of my system installed
    the new drives and restored the entire system.

    "Brad" wrote in message
    news:1175541295.212435.74820@l77g2000hsb.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi Marlon,
    >
    > OK I think this explains the problem.
    >
    > The Device Concurrent Maintenance option does not do what I believe
    > you think it does. It is designed only to allow you to plug and
    > unplug hot-swappable devices. So for example if you have a disk in a
    > RAID set fails, you can use the function to allow you to replace the
    > drive and resume the disk protection without powering off the server.
    >
    > To remove a disk (or disks) from the configuration all together you
    > will need to use DST to remove disks first from the ASP then from this
    > RAID set.
    >
    > This is why the system will not allow you to fit a 17.5GB disk in
    > place of the 4GB disk yet and why your system reports the old 4GB disk
    > as failed. As far as your system is concerned you've had the
    > equivalent of a disk fail as you've removed it from the system without
    > removing it from the configuration.
    >
    > I put the link in here that I posted earlier in the thread as it
    > explains the process in detail. But I think you will need to refit
    > the 4GB disk and recover the RAID set before you can remove it
    > properly.
    >
    > I hope this helps, but either way, back you system up VERY soon!
    >
    > As ever, I wish you luck, Brad
    >
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iserie...albcheck13.htm

  16. Re: AS400 170 replace drives

    Pat,
    Thanks for the information, yes I am using the manual.
    "Pat Barber" wrote in message
    > Are you following the manual ???
    >
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/h...f/model250.htm
    >
    > Marlon Wade wrote:
    >
    >> I have an AS400 170 running V5R2 it has 10 drives six of which are
    >> 4gb(6607) and four 8gb(6817) I would like to replace four of the 4gb with
    >> new 17gb drives.
    >> When I add the new drives the system does not recognize the drives. Are
    >> there specific locations that the 17gb drives must be inserted?
    >> thanks in advance

  17. Re: AS400 170 replace drives

    Holger Scherer schreef:
    > Rene,
    >
    > the 10k RPM drives 6718 are supported and working. And - in opposite to
    > some information in the system builder, the machines mostly support more
    > than the system builder writes. One of my 170 currently runs with 45
    > disk drives, among them several 6718.
    >
    > -h
    >
    > "René H. Hartman" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:460f8b35$0$713$5fc3050@dreader2.news.tiscali. nl...
    >
    >> AFAIK the 10krpm drive is not supported, only the 7k2rpm version.

    Brad, Holger,
    Thanks for the update.

    --
    Vriendelijke groeten / Best regards,