SQL ILERPG INSERT Dynamic File Name? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on SQL ILERPG INSERT Dynamic File Name? - IBM AS400 ; > Starting last year was the 1st I had ever used ILE RPG and this is my > 1st project using Embedded SQL in ILERPG. > We do use some embedded SQL, and Java as well, so we are not ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: SQL ILERPG INSERT Dynamic File Name?

    > Starting last year was the 1st I had ever used ILE RPG and this is my
    > 1st project using Embedded SQL in ILERPG.

    We do use some embedded SQL, and Java as well, so we are not entirely
    in the Dark Ages. :-)

  2. Re: SQL ILERPG INSERT Dynamic File Name?

    il 23/03/2007 16.23, Scrive that 1 guy 40592720:
    >>> So, you think QTEMP is not a good idea?

    >> It might be, it might not be. (It probably is.) I don't know your
    >> application / environment well enough to answer, but whenever you use
    >> QTEMP it is always worth asking two questions:
    >>
    >> 1) How likely is it that the application will crash / the user session
    >> will be terminated before the work is complete (either by the user by
    >> mistake, or by a comms problem, or a power outage)?
    >>
    >> 2) If any of those situations happens, how much data is lost, and how
    >> hard / long will recovering / restoring the data be / take.

    > Great points, thanks for sharing them!

    There are other "greats points" too.
    - Using QTEMP objects is extra power consuming
    - will exausts very soon temp addresses
    - you cannot use commitment control
    - you won't benefit of sql system cache

    Obviously I use QTEMP, because it's very comfortable, but only for
    object that are strictly tight to the session existance, data are to be
    considered a permanent stuff, even if they are in a work file, possibly
    you may want to resume from a crash, QTEMP is not suitable for.

  3. Re: SQL ILERPG INSERT Dynamic File Name?

    Hi,
    I have to back-track a little. I am only using QTEMP to create the
    1st file in and populate it. It is moved to a production Lib before
    we allow the User to start modifying the data.

    peace
    that 1 guy

  4. Re: SQL ILERPG INSERT Dynamic File Name?

    I don't like the sound of that (though perhaps I have misunderstood
    what you mean). Either file is a temporary work file and belongs in
    QTEMP, or it holds 'proper data' and belongs in a permanent library.
    Why do you want to move / copy it?

    P.S. I'm glad my boss doesn't expect me to write home-grown solutions
    that are better than IBM's OS code. ;-)

  5. Re: SQL ILERPG INSERT Dynamic File Name?

    > I don't like the sound of that (though perhaps I have misunderstood
    > what you mean). Either file is a temporary work file and belongs in
    > QTEMP, or it holds 'proper data' and belongs in a permanent library.
    > Why do you want to move / copy it?
    >
    > P.S. I'm glad my boss doesn't expect me to write home-grown solutions
    > that are better than IBM's OS code. ;-)

    Hehe, well we will eventually save these to tape.

  6. Re: SQL ILERPG INSERT Dynamic File Name?

    ..
    FWiW the objects a user creates into QTEMP are not temporary, so
    temporary addresses are unaffected by that. There are other interfaces
    for true temporaries, but user-object creation into QTEMP does not make
    the object temporary. This is more obvious when considering that an
    address can not be converted from temporary to permanent, combined with
    the fact that MOVOBJ can be used to move the objects out of the QTEMP
    library. MOVOBJ is not a copy, it instead readdresses the object to the
    target library; thus if it started as and remained a temporary object,
    it would disappear from a 'permanent context' aka library.
    Commitment control and journaling can be used on database files in
    QTEMP if one were so inclined.
    I am not sure to what the performance reference is to QTEMP, but the
    database at least has improved some performance [negligible probably] in
    v5r4 and maybe PTFs for v5r3 for QTEMP files as compared to non-QTEMP
    files; for example, for create and delete.

    Dr.UgoGagliardelli wrote:
    > il 23/03/2007 16.23, Scrive that 1 guy 40592720:

    <>