Realtime data update examples etc. - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Realtime data update examples etc. - IBM AS400 ; Looking to move data between AS400 DB2 and let's say MS access db. Is there an easy way to do this....

  1. Realtime data update examples etc.

    Looking to move data between AS400 DB2 and let's say MS access db. Is
    there an easy way to do this.

  2. Re: Realtime data update examples etc.

    "JackO" writes:

    > Looking to move data between AS400 DB2 and let's say MS access db. Is
    > there an easy way to do this.

    Moving data between databases is an art, as very few databases speak
    the same dialect of SQL.

    If I recall correctly Access supports foreign SQL-queries (over an
    ODBC connection) so you may be able to do it that way.

    I have seen several commercial products which allow you to do this,
    but I don't know if they support DB/400.

    --
    Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

  3. Re: Realtime data update examples etc.

    Hi,

    Java with JDBC is an database and machine independent way to do this. for
    batch transfer I have a little utility at my (sorry german) freeware site
    www.bender-dv.de . For real time updates etc. you would need additional
    coding, using dataq or something else to avoid some as400 pitfalls. I've
    done this too, but its not yet at my freeware site.

    Dieter Bender

    JackO wrote:

    > Looking to move data between AS400 DB2 and let's say MS access db. Is
    > there an easy way to do this.

  4. Re: Realtime data update examples etc.

    You can write code on the PC or iSeries to accomplish this.

    We have a commercial product called RPG2SQL Integrator that allows you to
    control the entire process from an RPG program. You could create a trigger
    program or other batch program on the iSeries to accomplish this. Every time
    a change hits, write or updatethe SQL Server, MS Access, MySql, Oracle or
    whatever database.

    For more info checkout our web site.

    Regards,
    Richard Schoen
    RJS Software Systems Inc.
    "Providing Your....iNFORMATION NOW!"
    Email: richard@rjssoftware.com
    Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
    Tel: (952) 898-3038
    Fax: (952) 898-1781
    Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT

    "JackO" wrote in message
    news:1172080990.524949.253720@v45g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
    > Looking to move data between AS400 DB2 and let's say MS access db. Is
    > there an easy way to do this.

+ Reply to Thread