Source change date on RPGLE programs - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Source change date on RPGLE programs - IBM AS400 ; Does anybody know how to get the source change date of an ILE program into an output file? It is possible to do a dspobjd to an outfile which gives you the source change date of RPG programs but it ...

  1. Source change date on RPGLE programs

    Does anybody know how to get the source change date of an ILE program
    into an output file?

    It is possible to do a dspobjd to an outfile which gives you the
    source change date of RPG programs but it does not show the source
    change date of RPGLE programs. Does anybody know how to do this or how
    to retrieve the source change date in a CL program. (RTVOBJD does not
    give you the date for RPGLE programs).

    Thanks

  2. Re: Source change date on RPGLE programs

    Hi. Sue

    I may be on the wrong track, but if you are using dates as some form
    of version control may i make an alternative suggestion.

    All objects can be given a user defined attribute, sorry this as to be
    done via the API QLICOBJD but you could use this to write your own
    date value or some version number. DSPOBJD will then display this
    value in the outfile. You could of cause use another API to retrive
    this value.

    Regards Ivan

  3. Re: Source change date on RPGLE programs

    Hi Sue -

    On 21 Feb 2007 04:35:39 -0800, sue.hambleton@computersoftware.com
    wrote:

    >Does anybody know how to get the source change date of an ILE program
    >into an output file?

    Your problem is that ILE programs don't have a source member. An ILE
    program consists of one or modules bound together, where the
    individual modules are [generally] compiled from source members.

    Even when you compile an RPGLE source to a program (option 14 in PDM
    or the CRTBNDRPG command), actually a module is created in QTEMP from
    the source, then the program created from that single module.

    --
    Ken
    http://www.kensims.net/

  4. Re: Source change date on RPGLE programs

    Ken Sims wrote:
    > Hi Sue -
    >
    > On 21 Feb 2007 04:35:39 -0800, sue.hambleton@computersoftware.com
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Does anybody know how to get the source change date of an ILE program
    >> into an output file?

    > Your problem is that ILE programs don't have a source member. An ILE
    > program consists of one or modules bound together, where the
    > individual modules are [generally] compiled from source members.
    >
    > Even when you compile an RPGLE source to a program (option 14 in PDM
    > or the CRTBNDRPG command), actually a module is created in QTEMP from
    > the source, then the program created from that single module.

    There may be a simpler method, but it looks like the List ILE Program
    Information (QBNLPGMI) API could be used to get the source change date
    for any/all modules in an ILE program. The PGML0100 format lists module
    information, including "Source file updated date and time". Calling the
    API might be possible from a CL program, but a user space must be
    supplied for the API output. In theory at least, a program could call
    the API, retrieve module date/time info from the user space, and write
    it to a file (note that CL does not support writing to a database file).

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...s/qbnlpgmi.htm

    --
    Karl Hanson

  5. Re: Source change date on RPGLE programs

    Hi,

    a very easy way would be:
    - avoid CRTBNDPGM, use CRTxxxMOD and CRTPGM, CRTSRVPGM instead and compile
    your modules in your production environment. You have many advantages,
    better controll of your compile options, better controll of your bind
    process for instance. Now you can issue an dspmod on your modules to create
    a repository with all informations you need for yours and other purposes.

    Dieter Bender

    Karl Hanson wrote:

    > Ken Sims wrote:
    >> Hi Sue -
    >>
    >> On 21 Feb 2007 04:35:39 -0800, sue.hambleton@computersoftware.com
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anybody know how to get the source change date of an ILE program
    >>> into an output file?

    >> Your problem is that ILE programs don't have a source member. An ILE
    >> program consists of one or modules bound together, where the
    >> individual modules are [generally] compiled from source members.
    >>
    >> Even when you compile an RPGLE source to a program (option 14 in PDM
    >> or the CRTBNDRPG command), actually a module is created in QTEMP from
    >> the source, then the program created from that single module.
    >>

    > There may be a simpler method, but it looks like the List ILE Program
    > Information (QBNLPGMI) API could be used to get the source change date
    > for any/all modules in an ILE program. The PGML0100 format lists module
    > information, including "Source file updated date and time". Calling the
    > API might be possible from a CL program, but a user space must be
    > supplied for the API output. In theory at least, a program could call
    > the API, retrieve module date/time info from the user space, and write
    > it to a file (note that CL does not support writing to a database file).

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...s/qbnlpgmi.htm

    > --
    > Karl Hanson

+ Reply to Thread