Twinax terminal pinout - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Twinax terminal pinout - IBM AS400 ; ""René H. Hartman"" a écrit dans le message de news: 45dc5593$0$754$5fc3050@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl... > OK. So in fact you've got an advanced S/36. The DB15 to dual twinax goes That's it. > onto the DB15 connector on the 3486. The DB25 on ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Twinax terminal pinout

    ""René H. Hartman"" a écrit dans le message de news:
    45dc5593$0$754$5fc3050@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl...

    > OK. So in fact you've got an advanced S/36. The DB15 to dual twinax goes

    That's it.

    > onto the DB15 connector on the 3486. The DB25 on that terminal is for a
    > parallel printer session.

    I suspected something like that. Thanks to confirm.

    > If the big black 8-port twinax blok you need is the same that goes onto
    > older style AS/400 I got one here (NL).

    I think it's pretty standard. Not 100% sure, however.

    Anyway, the proposal is very kind. I think I could setup something if I can
    get the baluns Pjotr proposed in another post.

    > Then you need a twinax cable to interconnect them, or 2 baluns and cat5
    > utp or stp cabling.

    cat5 is not a problem :-)

    > The system connector block is probably expensive shipping, as it is quite
    > heavy, with the long cable and all. As twinax is pretty sensitive

    Do you have an idea of the weight ? I got a quote from someone in the US for
    an old lot of misc twinax pieces (baluns, Y cables, 8-blocks, the like). The
    price was fair but there was around 60USD for shipping :-(

    > to impedance and proper termination you will most likely not have much
    > luck in connecting a cable straight to the DB25.

    I read most twinax appliances are self-terminated. I was counting on that.
    But it's true that a proper cabling would be a much better option.

    So if it's not too heavy I think I'd go for your block and Pjotr's baluns.

    Thanks again

    --
    Alex
    [JDR] Visitez Extremia, un monde gratuit et en francais pour D&D et

  2. Re: Twinax terminal pinout

    "Pjotr" a écrit dans le message de news:
    45dc17d2$0$717$5fc3050@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl...

    > They are twinax <-> RJ45.
    > You will also need the black block with 4 or 8 twinax connections to which
    > a cable is connected with on the other end a DB9 or DB15 (I count 9 pins)
    > plug,

    Apparently, René said in another post that he has one in the NL. With it, I
    could use the baluns !

    Let's continue via PM if you're alright ? (you can reply to me directly, I
    use a valid address)

    Thanks !
    --
    Alex
    [JDR] Visitez Extremia, un monde gratuit et en francais pour D&D et
    autres jeux de role.
    www.extremia.org

  3. Re: Twinax terminal pinout

    In news:45dc8367$0$25939$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr,
    Alex typed:
    > ""René H. Hartman"" a écrit dans le message de
    > news: 45dc5593$0$754$5fc3050@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl...
    >
    >> OK. So in fact you've got an advanced S/36. The DB15 to dual twinax
    >> goes

    > That's it.
    >
    >> onto the DB15 connector on the 3486. The DB25 on that terminal is
    >> for a parallel printer session.

    > I suspected something like that. Thanks to confirm.
    >
    >> If the big black 8-port twinax blok you need is the same that goes
    >> onto older style AS/400 I got one here (NL).

    > I think it's pretty standard. Not 100% sure, however.
    >
    > Anyway, the proposal is very kind. I think I could setup something if
    > I can get the baluns Pjotr proposed in another post.
    >
    >> Then you need a twinax cable to interconnect them, or 2 baluns and
    >> cat5 utp or stp cabling.

    > cat5 is not a problem :-)
    >
    >> The system connector block is probably expensive shipping, as it is
    >> quite heavy, with the long cable and all. As twinax is pretty
    >> sensitive

    > Do you have an idea of the weight ? I got a quote from someone in the
    > US for an old lot of misc twinax pieces (baluns, Y cables, 8-blocks,
    > the like). The price was fair but there was around 60USD for shipping
    > :-(
    >> to impedance and proper termination you will most likely not have
    >> much luck in connecting a cable straight to the DB25.

    > I read most twinax appliances are self-terminated. I was counting on
    > that. But it's true that a proper cabling would be a much better
    > option.
    > So if it's not too heavy I think I'd go for your block and Pjotr's
    > baluns.

    No problem, I will send them to you. But what are you going to use as a
    display device. You will have to use a terminal device, at least one that is
    equipped with a twinax connection, or an interfacecard to put in your PC
    that does twinax. Best of all, be sure to have a twinax connection and if
    you do configure TCP/IP and start communicating using the IP.

    Pjotr.
    (NL too)

  4. Re: Twinax terminal pinout

    The pinout for the RJ12 is the following:

    White/Green
    White Orange
    Blue
    White/Blue
    Orange
    Green

    They are the same for both ends. Hope this helps - I know for a fact
    that it works with baluns and twinax terminal.
    Brian

  5. Re: Twinax terminal pinout

    Hello Brad,
    Still have the model P03 available ?
    I am interested if you do.
    Please let me know.
    Rgrds,
    Arnipol

    Quote Originally Posted by unix View Post
    Alex

    It is possible to mock up a twinax connection, I have a number of
    clients who run the TDLC connection over CAT5 and a couple who use
    bell wire (latter not recommended)

    It will be easier for you to just focus on the point after the Twinax
    T-Piece not trying to connect to the DB15/25 plugs, as these plugs
    also carry controls for the two twinax lines and end of line
    termination.

    So, if I were you I would pursue one of the following 3 options:

    1) Search eBay for a pair of Twinax to CAT5 Balans, these convert the
    Twinax connection to normal CAT5 patch cables and back.

    2) Find a spare piece of Twinax cable and Hack then ends of and then
    solder these to the cable you wish to run.

    3) Look on eBay for a network card for your 9402 (assuming it has a
    spare SPD slot) and connect to it via Ethernet or Token Ring.

    If you are ever in the UK and want to collect them, I have spares of
    all 3 of these options that you are well come to free of charge, in
    fact I would be happy to give a way some of my older AS/400's Model
    600, Model 150, Model P03.

    If you are interested, send me an email, if not, no problem and good
    luck with the cabling!

    Brad

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2