Re: iSeries FTP and "auto-login" - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Re: iSeries FTP and "auto-login" - IBM AS400 ; Jonathan Ball wrote: > What is "auto-login", and how does it relate to FTP for iSeries? I > can't find any reference to it in any of the FTP documentation at the > iSeries Information Center. I do know that ...

  1. Re: iSeries FTP and "auto-login"

    Jonathan Ball wrote:

    > What is "auto-login", and how does it relate to FTP for iSeries? I
    > can't find any reference to it in any of the FTP documentation at the
    > iSeries Information Center. I do know that for a user who is running a
    > batch file on his PC to download data from our development iSeries, he
    > needs to specify -n in his FTP command in order to disable auto-login.

    On windows I find this:

    P:\>ftp -?

    Transfers files to and from a computer running an FTP server service
    (sometimes called a daemon). Ftp can be used interactively.

    FTP [-v] [-d] [-i] [-n] [-g] [-s:filename] [-a] [-w:windowsize] [-A]
    [host]

    -v Suppresses display of remote server responses.
    -n Suppresses auto-login upon initial connection.

    My guess is something in windows can be setup to default ftp to use the
    windows user & pwd but -n turns off this behaviour. Who knows how you
    would set it up. I expect there is a really simple one click setting
    somewhere really obvious - like the desktop control panel.

    Jonathan.

  2. Re: iSeries FTP and "auto-login"

    > My guess is something in windows can be setup to default ftp to use the
    > windows user & pwd but -n turns off this behaviour. Who knows how you
    > would set it up. I expect there is a really simple one click setting
    > somewhere really obvious - like the desktop control panel.

    That's not what autologin for FTP is, it just means that if you put the -n
    switch, it will not log into the host automatically, it just drops down into
    a command line ">" prompt, then to login, you have to issue USER and PASS
    commands to log in. This is useful for scripting FTP sessions...

    --
    Bob Comer

    "Jonathan Bailey" wrote in message
    news:1167992854.168773.158790@11g2000cwr.googlegro ups.com...

    > Jonathan Ball wrote:
    >
    >> What is "auto-login", and how does it relate to FTP for iSeries? I
    >> can't find any reference to it in any of the FTP documentation at the
    >> iSeries Information Center. I do know that for a user who is running a
    >> batch file on his PC to download data from our development iSeries, he
    >> needs to specify -n in his FTP command in order to disable auto-login.

    > On windows I find this:
    >
    > P:\>ftp -?
    >
    > Transfers files to and from a computer running an FTP server service
    > (sometimes called a daemon). Ftp can be used interactively.
    >
    > FTP [-v] [-d] [-i] [-n] [-g] [-s:filename] [-a] [-w:windowsize] [-A]
    > [host]
    >
    > -v Suppresses display of remote server responses.
    > -n Suppresses auto-login upon initial connection.
    >
    > My guess is something in windows can be setup to default ftp to use the
    > windows user & pwd but -n turns off this behaviour. Who knows how you
    > would set it up. I expect there is a really simple one click setting
    > somewhere really obvious - like the desktop control panel.
    >
    > Jonathan.

  3. Re: iSeries FTP and "auto-login"

    Robert Comer schreef:
    >> My guess is something in windows can be setup to default ftp to use the
    >> windows user & pwd but -n turns off this behaviour. Who knows how you
    >> would set it up. I expect there is a really simple one click setting
    >> somewhere really obvious - like the desktop control panel.

    > That's not what autologin for FTP is, it just means that if you put the -n
    > switch, it will not log into the host automatically, it just drops down into
    > a command line ">" prompt, then to login, you have to issue USER and PASS
    > commands to log in. This is useful for scripting FTP sessions...

    If you need full batch (w/o user interaction), want to avoid having
    credentials in cleartext in your script, AND anybody is allowed to
    dowload data from the box you can create a user ANONYMOUS and have an
    FTP exit pgm allow access w/o a password. You can also restrict what the
    anonymous user can do through that exit pgm.

    --
    Vriendelijke groeten / Best regards,

    René H. Hartman
    www.hac-maarssen.nl