Printing overlays on an IBM 6400-050 - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Printing overlays on an IBM 6400-050 - IBM AS400 ; Hello, We have several documents that use a form overlay and are printed on a laser printer. The overlay is assigned to the printer file via the ovrprtf FRONTOVL parm. We would like to also be able to print these ...

  1. Printing overlays on an IBM 6400-050

    Hello,

    We have several documents that use a form overlay and are printed on a
    laser printer. The overlay is assigned to the printer file via the
    ovrprtf FRONTOVL parm. We would like to also be able to print these
    (and future documents) on continuous plain paper on our IBM 6400-050.
    So far, we have not been able to get the 6400 to print the overlay. It
    just prints the spooled file data. The printer device description has,
    (DEVCLS = *LAN, TYPE = *IPDS, AFP = *YES). We have PSF installed.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what other setting we may need in
    order to accomplish the printing of overlays on the 6400?

    Thank you,

    leeb

  2. Re: Printing overlays on an IBM 6400-050

    Dear leeb,

    The 6400 family of impact printers use a resolution of 144 dots per
    inch. You would need to create a new version of each overlay you want
    to print on the impact printers at a resolution of 144 DPI in order for
    the overlay to be included with the printable data. As far as I know,
    PSF/400 frequently will not scale an overlay made for a higher
    resolution printer down to 144 DPI because it becomes so large that it
    no longer fits on the physical media.

    Some years ago, I successfully printed overlays created at 144 DPI on
    impact printers using OS/400 V4R5. I don't believe anything has changed
    in the V5 releases that would prevent you from printing overlays,
    created at the appropriate resolution, on an impact printer today.

    Best Regards,

    /Paul
    --
    Paul Tykodi
    Principal Consultant

    E-mail: ptykodi@yahoo.com

    leeb wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > We have several documents that use a form overlay and are printed on a
    > laser printer. The overlay is assigned to the printer file via the
    > ovrprtf FRONTOVL parm. We would like to also be able to print these
    > (and future documents) on continuous plain paper on our IBM 6400-050.
    > So far, we have not been able to get the 6400 to print the overlay. It
    > just prints the spooled file data. The printer device description has,
    > (DEVCLS = *LAN, TYPE = *IPDS, AFP = *YES). We have PSF installed.
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on what other setting we may need in
    > order to accomplish the printing of overlays on the 6400?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > leeb

+ Reply to Thread