Sql Squirrel and iseries DB2 access - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Sql Squirrel and iseries DB2 access - IBM AS400 ; I have found Sql Squirrel on Sourceforge, and have been trying to get it to work, I downloaded JTOPEN 5.3 and added the jt400 jar files to the IBM DB2 App Driver and IBM DB2 Net driver. The problem I ...

  1. Sql Squirrel and iseries DB2 access

    I have found Sql Squirrel on Sourceforge, and have been trying to get
    it to work, I downloaded JTOPEN 5.3 and added the jt400 jar files to
    the IBM DB2 App Driver and IBM DB2 Net driver. The problem I have being
    new to this is how to I tell this software what my as400 is?

    I see where i nthe Db2 App driver wants the url jdbc:db2:, or
    the Net Driver with jdbc:db2://:<6789>/
    Can anyone offer me some guidence?

    I just started in a small shop with almost no tools and I am trying to
    get them to adopt Websphere, as well and some other useful tools of
    which this looks great but I am not that experienced with jdbc.

    Thanks
    Shadow

  2. Re: Sql Squirrel and iseries DB2 access

    LightSquire@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have found Sql Squirrel on Sourceforge, and have been trying to get
    > it to work, I downloaded JTOPEN 5.3 and added the jt400 jar files to
    > the IBM DB2 App Driver and IBM DB2 Net driver. The problem I have being
    > new to this is how to I tell this software what my as400 is?
    >
    > I see where i nthe Db2 App driver wants the url jdbc:db2:, or
    > the Net Driver with jdbc:db2://:<6789>/ >
    > Can anyone offer me some guidence?
    >
    > I just started in a small shop with almost no tools and I am trying to
    > get them to adopt Websphere, as well and some other useful tools of
    > which this looks great but I am not that experienced with jdbc.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Shadow

    If I might humbly offer another option: FROG for the IBM i5. May not
    have all the bells and whistles of Squirrel but it is geared to the i5.
    No JDBC required, only Client Access.

    You can download at http://www.innovativesys.net

    Jonas Temple

  3. Re: Sql Squirrel and iseries DB2 access

    It looks interesting, thank you for the suggestion, but I was hoping to
    also have a tool where I can directly change a cell of data. I know I
    can use interactive sql in FROG which is cool.

    Thank you again

    Jonas Temple wrote:
    > LightSquire@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I have found Sql Squirrel on Sourceforge, and have been trying to get
    > > it to work, I downloaded JTOPEN 5.3 and added the jt400 jar files to
    > > the IBM DB2 App Driver and IBM DB2 Net driver. The problem I have being
    > > new to this is how to I tell this software what my as400 is?
    > >
    > > I see where i nthe Db2 App driver wants the url jdbc:db2:, or
    > > the Net Driver with jdbc:db2://:<6789>/ > >
    > > Can anyone offer me some guidence?
    > >
    > > I just started in a small shop with almost no tools and I am trying to
    > > get them to adopt Websphere, as well and some other useful tools of
    > > which this looks great but I am not that experienced with jdbc.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Shadow

    > If I might humbly offer another option: FROG for the IBM i5. May not
    > have all the bells and whistles of Squirrel but it is geared to the i5.
    > No JDBC required, only Client Access.
    >
    > You can download at http://www.innovativesys.net
    >
    > Jonas Temple

  4. Re: Sql Squirrel and iseries DB2 access

    iNavigator has a table (file) editor that allows you to edit cells
    directly.

    LightSquire@gmail.com wrote:
    > It looks interesting, thank you for the suggestion, but I was hoping to
    > also have a tool where I can directly change a cell of data. I know I
    > can use interactive sql in FROG which is cool.
    >
    > Thank you again
    >

    > Jonas Temple wrote:
    > > LightSquire@gmail.com wrote:
    > > > I have found Sql Squirrel on Sourceforge, and have been trying to get
    > > > it to work, I downloaded JTOPEN 5.3 and added the jt400 jar files to
    > > > the IBM DB2 App Driver and IBM DB2 Net driver. The problem I have being
    > > > new to this is how to I tell this software what my as400 is?
    > > >
    > > > I see where i nthe Db2 App driver wants the url jdbc:db2:, or
    > > > the Net Driver with jdbc:db2://:<6789>/ > > >
    > > > Can anyone offer me some guidence?
    > > >
    > > > I just started in a small shop with almost no tools and I am trying to
    > > > get them to adopt Websphere, as well and some other useful tools of
    > > > which this looks great but I am not that experienced with jdbc.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Shadow

    > > If I might humbly offer another option: FROG for the IBM i5. May not
    > > have all the bells and whistles of Squirrel but it is geared to the i5.
    > > No JDBC required, only Client Access.
    > >
    > > You can download at http://www.innovativesys.net
    > >
    > > Jonas Temple

  5. Re: Sql Squirrel and iseries DB2 access

    Please follow these steps to properly configure Squirrell:

    1) Create a new driver.
    Driver -> New Driver

    Name = "IBM AS/400 JDBC Driver"
    Sample URL = jdbc:as400://sampleServer.com/
    Website URL = http://jt400.sourceforge.net/

    The driver will appear in the "Driver Window" marked as available

    2) Create an alias for your AS/400.
    Aliases -> New Alias

    Name = WhateverYouCallYourAS/400
    Driver = "IBM AS/400 JDBC Driver"
    URL = jdbc:as400://yourAS400DNSName_or_IPAddress/
    User = TheUserYouWantToUseToConnect
    Password = ThePasswordOfTheUser

    Click the "Properties" button and select "Specify Schema loading and caching". Then click "Connect
    database to refresh Schema table" and set all tables, views and procedures to "Dont't load". Otherwise
    Squirrell will load all and everything when it connects to your AS/400. Obviously that will take
    noticeable time. Finally set all tables, views and procedures you want to work with to "Load ...".

    The new alias will appear in the "Aliases Window".

    4) Double-Click "WhateverYouCallYourAS/400" in the alias window to connect to your AS/400.

    I will send a screen shot with a sample configuration your e-mail address. That probably makes things
    easier.

    Thomas Raddatz.

    LightSquire@gmail.com schrieb:
    > I have found Sql Squirrel on Sourceforge, and have been trying to get
    > it to work, I downloaded JTOPEN 5.3 and added the jt400 jar files to
    > the IBM DB2 App Driver and IBM DB2 Net driver. The problem I have being
    > new to this is how to I tell this software what my as400 is?
    >
    > I see where i nthe Db2 App driver wants the url jdbc:db2:, or
    > the Net Driver with jdbc:db2://:<6789>/ >
    > Can anyone offer me some guidence?
    >
    > I just started in a small shop with almost no tools and I am trying to
    > get them to adopt Websphere, as well and some other useful tools of
    > which this looks great but I am not that experienced with jdbc.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Shadow

  6. Re: Sql Squirrel and iseries DB2 access

    You need to do a LOT of reading:

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/

    and start here:

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...v5r3/index.jsp

    LightSquire@gmail.com wrote:

    > I just started in a small shop with almost no tools and I am trying to
    > get them to adopt Websphere, as well and some other useful tools of
    > which this looks great but I am not that experienced with jdbc.

  7. Re: Sql Squirrel and iseries DB2 access

    Thomas Raddatz wrote:
    > Please follow these steps to properly configure Squirrell:
    >
    > 1) Create a new driver.
    > Driver -> New Driver
    >
    > Name = "IBM AS/400 JDBC Driver"
    > Sample URL = jdbc:as400://sampleServer.com/
    > Website URL = http://jt400.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > The driver will appear in the "Driver Window" marked as available
    >
    > 2) Create an alias for your AS/400.
    > Aliases -> New Alias
    >
    > Name = WhateverYouCallYourAS/400
    > Driver = "IBM AS/400 JDBC Driver"
    > URL = jdbc:as400://yourAS400DNSName_or_IPAddress/
    > User = TheUserYouWantToUseToConnect
    > Password = ThePasswordOfTheUser
    >
    > Click the "Properties" button and select "Specify Schema loading and caching". Then click "Connect
    > database to refresh Schema table" and set all tables, views and procedures to "Dont't load". Otherwise
    > Squirrell will load all and everything when it connects to your AS/400. Obviously that will take
    > noticeable time. Finally set all tables, views and procedures you want to work with to "Load ...".
    >
    > The new alias will appear in the "Aliases Window".
    >
    > 4) Double-Click "WhateverYouCallYourAS/400" in the alias window to connect to your AS/400.
    >
    > I will send a screen shot with a sample configuration your e-mail address. That probably makes things
    > easier.
    >
    > Thomas Raddatz.
    >
    > LightSquire@gmail.com schrieb:
    > > I have found Sql Squirrel on Sourceforge, and have been trying to get
    > > it to work, I downloaded JTOPEN 5.3 and added the jt400 jar files to
    > > the IBM DB2 App Driver and IBM DB2 Net driver. The problem I have being
    > > new to this is how to I tell this software what my as400 is?
    > >
    > > I see where i nthe Db2 App driver wants the url jdbc:db2:, or
    > > the Net Driver with jdbc:db2://:<6789>/ > >
    > > Can anyone offer me some guidence?
    > >
    > > I just started in a small shop with almost no tools and I am trying to
    > > get them to adopt Websphere, as well and some other useful tools of
    > > which this looks great but I am not that experienced with jdbc.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Shadow

    Thomas,

    Thank you so much, it works great!

    I will keep these instructions.

    Thanks
    Shadow

  8. Re: Sql Squirrel and iseries DB2 access

    Pat Barber wrote:
    > You need to do a LOT of reading:
    >
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/
    >
    > and start here:
    >
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...v5r3/index.jsp
    >

    > LightSquire@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > I just started in a small shop with almost no tools and I am trying to
    > > get them to adopt Websphere, as well and some other useful tools of
    > > which this looks great but I am not that experienced with jdbc.

    Pat,

    Thanks to you also, its great to understand why you are doing a
    particular task.

    Shadow

  9. Re: Sql Squirrel and iseries DB2 access

    Hi,

    the reference for squirrel sais where to add the driver package to the url,
    I would recommend the toolbox driver (jtopen), the other stuff you don't
    need, the url is jedbc:as400//myServer/defaultSchema the reference for
    jtopen sais what parameters you could use for logon with the url, the name
    of the driver class is com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver.
    its working fine with squirrel and as400 and the toolbox driver, if you can
    connect with odbc, otherwise you should adress another question.

    dieter bender

    LightSquire@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have found Sql Squirrel on Sourceforge, and have been trying to get
    > it to work, I downloaded JTOPEN 5.3 and added the jt400 jar files to
    > the IBM DB2 App Driver and IBM DB2 Net driver. The problem I have being
    > new to this is how to I tell this software what my as400 is?
    >
    > I see where i nthe Db2 App driver wants the url jdbc:db2:, or
    > the Net Driver with jdbc:db2://:<6789>/ >
    > Can anyone offer me some guidence?
    >
    > I just started in a small shop with almost no tools and I am trying to
    > get them to adopt Websphere, as well and some other useful tools of
    > which this looks great but I am not that experienced with jdbc.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Shadow

+ Reply to Thread