This is a discussion on AS400 Programmer Analyst - IBM AS400 ; We are looking for an AS400 programmer analyst to work in the NY capital region area. We prefer a local candidate but are willing to offer relocation package for the right candidate. This is a $200mm division of a multi ...
We are looking for an AS400 programmer analyst to work in the NY
capital region area. We prefer a local candidate but are willing to
offer relocation package for the right candidate.
This is a $200mm division of a multi $B company. AS400 is a must.
I. Broad Function
The Programmer Analyst's role is to define, develop, test, analyze,
document, and maintain new software applications in support of the
achievement of business requirements. The Programmer Analyst will also
act as project manager and work closely with the customer base to
identify customer needs and provide expert analysis on their
requirement. This includes writing, coding, testing, and analyzing
software programs and applications. The Programmer Analyst will also
research, design, document, and modify software specifications
throughout the production life cycle.
II. Qualification Requirements
· College diploma or university degree in the field of
computer science, information systems, or software engineering, and/or
5 years equivalent work experience.
· Certifications in AS400 system operations.
· Interfacing of AS400 to Lotus Notes, network applications
and other databases.
· Proficiency in a variety of programming languages,
including but not limited to AS400 RPG, AS400 COBOL, and AS400 CLP.
· Excellent understanding of coding methods and best
· Extensive relational database and operating systems
experience with AS400 related databases
· Thorough understanding of platforms such as AS400 and a
working knowledge of Microsoft windows.
· Prior experience interviewing end-users for insight on
functionality, interface, problems, and/or usability issues.
· Able to communicate effectively with non-technical staff
and with members of interdisciplinary teams.
· Hands-on experience developing test cases and test plans.
· Flexible and adaptable in regards to learning and
understanding new technologies.
· Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
· Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication
· Ability to conduct research into software-related issues
· Highly self motivated and directed.
· Keen attention to detail.
· Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
· Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a
· Experience working both independently and in a
team-oriented, collaborative environment.
III. Principal Responsibilities
· Collaborate with developers, programmers, and designers in
conceptualizing and development of new software programs and
· Liaise with network administrators, systems analysts, and
software engineers to assist in resolving problems with software
products or company software systems.
· Analyze and assess existing business systems and
· Assist in the definition, development, and documentation of
software's business requirements, objectives, deliverables, and
specifications on a project-by-project basis in collaboration with
internal users and departments.
· Assist in defining software development project plans,
including scoping, scheduling, and implementation.
· Research, identify, analyze, and fulfill requirements of
all internal and external program users.
· Consistently write, translate, and code software programs
and applications according to specifications.
· Write programming scripts to enhance functionality and/or
performance of company applications as necessary.
· Design, run and monitor software performance tests on new
and existing programs for the purposes of correcting errors, isolating
areas for improvement, and general debugging.
· Administer critical analysis of test results and deliver
solutions to problem areas.
· Generate statistics and write reports for management and/or
team members on the status of the programming process.
· Develop and maintain user manuals and guidelines.
· Train end users to operate new or modified programs.
· Conduct research on emerging application development
software products, languages, and standards in support of procurement
and development efforts.
· Liaise with vendors for efficient implementation of new
software products or systems and for resolution of any adaptation
· Recommend, schedule, and perform software improvements and
· Install software products for end users as required.
· Manage and/or provide guidance to junior team members.
· On-call availability if necessary for weekend related
· Overtime hours may be required to meet project deadlines.
· Sitting for extended periods of time.
· Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer
keyboard, mouse, and other devices.
· Able to lift computer drives, monitors, and other
· Some travel may be required for the purpose of off-site