Op Console to new PC - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Op Console to new PC - IBM AS400 ; Hi all The console to our as/400 used to be an ancient PC (windows 3.1) so I'm replacing it with a not-so-old win98 box. I installed the Operation Console from the CD, the cable connects to com1 just as before. ...

  1. Op Console to new PC

    Hi all

    The console to our as/400 used to be an ancient
    PC (windows 3.1) so I'm replacing it with
    a not-so-old win98 box.

    I installed the Operation Console from the CD,
    the cable connects to com1 just as before.

    The as/400 is OS ver 4.5 and the EZ setup is
    version 4.5. (This is our backup as/400)

    When the Operations Console tries to detect the
    machine, it times out, saying it cannot find
    console communication port. If I tell it
    com1 and finish the setup, it just sits there
    with a status of "connecting console".

    So, I need to know where to look to troubleshoot
    this. The as/400 log doesn't say anything, the
    PC doesnt help. Devices? as/400 status?

    Any help on this?

    Thanks,

    Julien Mills Director MIS
    Amoroso's Baking Company 215-471-4740
    Philadelphia, PA USA Fax 215-472-5299

  2. Re: Op Console to new PC

    Julien Mills schreef:
    > Hi all
    >
    > The console to our as/400 used to be an ancient
    > PC (windows 3.1) so I'm replacing it with
    > a not-so-old win98 box.
    >
    > I installed the Operation Console from the CD,
    > the cable connects to com1 just as before.
    >
    > The as/400 is OS ver 4.5 and the EZ setup is
    > version 4.5. (This is our backup as/400)
    >
    > When the Operations Console tries to detect the
    > machine, it times out, saying it cannot find
    > console communication port. If I tell it
    > com1 and finish the setup, it just sits there
    > with a status of "connecting console".
    >
    > So, I need to know where to look to troubleshoot
    > this. The as/400 log doesn't say anything, the
    > PC doesnt help. Devices? as/400 status?
    >
    > Any help on this?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Are you sure you need Ops Console and not Client Access console? They're
    different and incompatible. Given the fact that your old console was
    Win3.1 I'm pretty sure you need CA Console (3.2), not OpsConsole.

    --
    Vriendelijke groeten / Best regards,

    René H. Hartman
    www.hac-maarssen.nl

  3. Re: Op Console to new PC

    On 2006-12-19, René H. Hartman wrote:

    >> The console to our as/400 used to be an ancient
    >> PC (windows 3.1) so I'm replacing it with
    >> a not-so-old win98 box.
    >>
    >> I installed the Operation Console from the CD,
    >> the cable connects to com1 just as before.
    >>
    >> The as/400 is OS ver 4.5 and the EZ setup is
    >> version 4.5. (This is our backup as/400)
    >>
    >> When the Operations Console tries to detect the
    >> machine, it times out, saying it cannot find
    >> console communication port. If I tell it
    >> com1 and finish the setup, it just sits there
    >> with a status of "connecting console".
    >>
    >> So, I need to know where to look to troubleshoot
    >> this. The as/400 log doesn't say anything, the
    >> PC doesnt help. Devices? as/400 status?
    >>

    > Are you sure you need Ops Console and not Client Access console? They're
    > different and incompatible. Given the fact that your old console was
    > Win3.1 I'm pretty sure you need CA Console (3.2), not OpsConsole.

    I think I need Operations Console, don't really know what Client Access
    console is. Doesn't every as/400 need an Ops Console?

    Julien Mills Director MIS
    Amoroso's Baking Company 215-471-4740
    Philadelphia, PA USA Fax 215-472-5299

  4. Re: Op Console to new PC

    Julien Mills schreef:
    > On 2006-12-19, René H. Hartman wrote:
    >
    >>> The console to our as/400 used to be an ancient
    >>> PC (windows 3.1) so I'm replacing it with
    >>> a not-so-old win98 box.
    >>>
    >>> I installed the Operation Console from the CD,
    >>> the cable connects to com1 just as before.
    >>>
    >>> The as/400 is OS ver 4.5 and the EZ setup is
    >>> version 4.5. (This is our backup as/400)
    >>>
    >>> When the Operations Console tries to detect the
    >>> machine, it times out, saying it cannot find
    >>> console communication port. If I tell it
    >>> com1 and finish the setup, it just sits there
    >>> with a status of "connecting console".
    >>>
    >>> So, I need to know where to look to troubleshoot
    >>> this. The as/400 log doesn't say anything, the
    >>> PC doesnt help. Devices? as/400 status?
    >>>

    >> Are you sure you need Ops Console and not Client Access console? They're
    >> different and incompatible. Given the fact that your old console was
    >> Win3.1 I'm pretty sure you need CA Console (3.2), not OpsConsole.

    > I think I need Operations Console, don't really know what Client Access
    > console is. Doesn't every as/400 need an Ops Console?

    No. The older boxes need Client Access console, if you're not using
    twinax, that is.CA Console is a serial cable console, with a dedicated
    serial port on the back of the AS/400. OpsConsole uses a comms card,
    also with a serial cable (different from the CA Console one).

    CA Console came with the CA V3.1 and 3.2, that also could be installed
    on Win 3.1 and OS/2, and probably is what you had. OpsConsole came with
    CA Express, and is a separate installation, not compatible with Win 3.1.

    --
    Vriendelijke groeten / Best regards,

    René H. Hartman
    www.hac-maarssen.nl

  5. Re: Op Console to new PC

    On 2006-12-20, René H. Hartman wrote:

    > No. The older boxes need Client Access console, if you're not using
    > twinax, that is.CA Console is a serial cable console, with a dedicated
    > serial port on the back of the AS/400. OpsConsole uses a comms card,
    > also with a serial cable (different from the CA Console one).
    >
    > CA Console came with the CA V3.1 and 3.2, that also could be installed
    > on Win 3.1 and OS/2, and probably is what you had. OpsConsole came with
    > CA Express, and is a separate installation, not compatible with Win 3.1.

    Yeah, it looks like you're right. I probably do have CA console and
    I believe I have the wrong cable to run ops console. I'm going to check
    with my guys here.

    Julien Mills Director MIS
    Amoroso's Baking Company 215-471-4740
    Philadelphia, PA USA Fax 215-472-5299