4019 to 1512 printer change - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on 4019 to 1512 printer change - IBM AS400 ; I have a client who, until it died, had been using a 4019 printer plugged into a 3487 screen on his Model 150. He sought advice from his local printing man, wh said a 1512 was the answer. Now in ...

  1. 4019 to 1512 printer change

    I have a client who, until it died, had been using a 4019 printer plugged
    into a 3487 screen on his Model 150. He sought advice from his local
    printing man, wh said a 1512 was the answer. Now in the past, other clients
    have used printer like the (much cheaper) HP7, but he bought the 1512. We
    now find that it
    a) Doesn't obey OCL CPI settings
    b) Prints a line of setup characters at the start of each spool entry.
    I haven't yet checked the printer setting on the screen - the emulation is
    set to 3812 on the next screen - but I wondered if anyone else had trod the
    same path.

    Many thanks

    Peter Kinsman

  2. Re: 4019 to 1512 printer change

    The 1512 what ????? It would be helpful to know the
    manufacturer before offering advice....

    Start here for ascii printers:

    http://www.as400service.ibm.com/s_di...n=35#_Section1

    By the way...if this 1512 doesn't speak PCL, you are in for a very
    long and unsuccessful day....

    Peter Kinsman wrote:

    > I have a client who, until it died, had been using a 4019 printer plugged
    > into a 3487 screen on his Model 150. He sought advice from his local
    > printing man, wh said a 1512 was the answer. Now in the past, other clients
    > have used printer like the (much cheaper) HP7, but he bought the 1512. We
    > now find that it
    > a) Doesn't obey OCL CPI settings
    > b) Prints a line of setup characters at the start of each spool entry.
    > I haven't yet checked the printer setting on the screen - the emulation is
    > set to 3812 on the next screen - but I wondered if anyone else had trod the
    > same path.
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Peter Kinsman

  3. Re: 4019 to 1512 printer change

    The IBM 1512 was quoted as the replacement for the 4019. Eventually we
    changed the printer type from 4019 to LaserJet III and that cured it - I
    presume the 4019 had been using PPDS data, whereas the default for the 1512
    is PCL emulation.

    Peter

    "Pat Barber" wrote in message
    > The 1512 what ????? It would be helpful to know the
    > manufacturer before offering advice....
    >
    > Start here for ascii printers:
    >
    > http://www.as400service.ibm.com/s_di...n=35#_Section1
    >

    > By the way...if this 1512 doesn't speak PCL, you are in for a very
    > long and unsuccessful day....
    >

    > Peter Kinsman wrote:
    >
    >> I have a client who, until it died, had been using a 4019 printer
    >> plugged into a 3487 screen on his Model 150. He sought advice from his
    >> local printing man, wh said a 1512 was the answer. Now in the past,
    >> other clients have used printer like the (much cheaper) HP7, but he
    >> bought the 1512. We now find that it
    >> a) Doesn't obey OCL CPI settings
    >> b) Prints a line of setup characters at the start of each spool entry.
    >> I haven't yet checked the printer setting on the screen - the emulation
    >> is set to 3812 on the next screen - but I wondered if anyone else had
    >> trod the same path.
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >>
    >> Peter Kinsman

  4. Re: 4019 to 1512 printer change

    Pat Barber schreef:
    > The 1512 what ????? It would be helpful to know the
    > manufacturer before offering advice....
    >
    > Start here for ascii printers:
    >
    > http://www.as400service.ibm.com/s_di...n=35#_Section1
    >

    > By the way...if this 1512 doesn't speak PCL, you are in for a very
    > long and unsuccessful day....
    >

    > Peter Kinsman wrote:
    >
    >> I have a client who, until it died, had been using a 4019 printer
    >> plugged into a 3487 screen on his Model 150. He sought advice from
    >> his local printing man, wh said a 1512 was the answer. Now in the
    >> past, other clients have used printer like the (much cheaper) HP7, but
    >> he bought the 1512. We now find that it
    >> a) Doesn't obey OCL CPI settings
    >> b) Prints a line of setup characters at the start of each spool entry.
    >> I haven't yet checked the printer setting on the screen - the
    >> emulation is set to 3812 on the next screen - but I wondered if anyone
    >> else had trod the same path.
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >>
    >> Peter Kinsman

    Googling on "1512 printer" shows it to be an IBM Infoprint workgroup
    printer, that appears to be an parallel/USB/ethernet printer with
    support for PCL6, PostScript and PPDS. Looks like all printer settins
    need to be configured through the driver though (Windows). Not sure if
    you can hook it up to one of those terminals, which do Epsson and NEC
    emulation. If you can select a PCL printer personality on the 3487 it
    should be able to work.

    Info:
    http://www-306.ibm.com/common/ssi/fc...pname=printers

    --