Write /Update Records - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Write /Update Records - IBM AS400 ; I want to read a logical file using a chain or a setll/read in RPGLE and if the record is there update it and if it isn't add it. Can you add (write) records directly to the logical file or ...

  1. Write /Update Records

    I want to read a logical file using a chain or a setll/read in RPGLE and if
    the record is there update it and if it isn't add it. Can you add (write)
    records directly to the logical file or do you need to write to the
    physical?

    Sorry if the question is basic but I am a little rusty.

    Any help is always appreciated.

    Thad Rizzi

  2. Re: Write /Update Records

    Thad Rizzi wrote:
    > I want to read a logical file using a chain or a setll/read in RPGLE
    > and if the record is there update it and if it isn't add it. Can you
    > add (write) records directly to the logical file or do you need to
    > write to the physical?
    >
    > Sorry if the question is basic but I am a little rusty.
    >
    > Any help is always appreciated.
    >
    > Thad Rizzi

    You can write directly to a logical. Actually the physical will be written
    to.

    Pjotr

  3. Re: Write /Update Records

    Usually you can write/update directly. However, some logical (join
    logicals, those that have created fields, etc) are read-only.

  4. Re: Write /Update Records

    Thanks!

    wrote in message
    news:1166196563.645882.151080@j72g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    Usually you can write/update directly. However, some logical (join
    logicals, those that have created fields, etc) are read-only.

+ Reply to Thread