dropping tables via odbc - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on dropping tables via odbc - IBM AS400 ; Hello, I have a question for the gurus on this forum: What is involved in issuing a drop table statement from an application that connects to AS/400 via ODBC? Does the system journal the table contents so it can be ...

  1. dropping tables via odbc

    Hello,

    I have a question for the gurus on this forum: What is involved in issuing
    a drop table statement from an application that connects to AS/400 via
    ODBC? Does the system journal the table contents so it can be restored at
    a later time? If so, is there a way to simply drop/delete/erase the table
    directly and immediately?

    The reason I ask is that when we drop a large table, it seems to
    take a long time and it generates a lot of journaling activity. We
    simply want to drop the table and have no intention of restoring it later.

  2. Re: dropping tables via odbc

    Noobie wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a question for the gurus on this forum: What is involved in issuing
    > a drop table statement from an application that connects to AS/400 via
    > ODBC? Does the system journal the table contents so it can be restored at
    > a later time? If so, is there a way to simply drop/delete/erase the table
    > directly and immediately?
    >
    > The reason I ask is that when we drop a large table, it seems to
    > take a long time and it generates a lot of journaling activity. We
    > simply want to drop the table and have no intention of restoring it later.

    I have never noticed dropping a table take any amount of time. However
    I dont much use drop as dltf works fine from CL programs, & rarely use
    odbc. Is the journalling activity due to cascaded deletes on a
    referential constraint, or maybe a trigger? Thats all I can think of.

    Jonathan.

+ Reply to Thread