Getting Started with Java - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Getting Started with Java - IBM AS400 ; I wanted to get an idea of what JAVA was all about so I got a couple of JAVA books and worked through a bunch of their program examples and exercises. These books were not related to the 400/iseries/i5 platform ...

  1. Getting Started with Java

    I wanted to get an idea of what JAVA was all about so I got a couple of
    JAVA books and worked through a bunch of their program examples and
    exercises. These books were not related to the 400/iseries/i5 platform
    at all, there were PC based using DOS prompt to run and comile. I
    wanted to get an understanding of (for lack of a better word) "real"
    JAVA. I was worried the iSeries would throw a bunch of trash over it
    to make it fit the iSeries and I didn't want to see that right away.

    I have taken some of these easy JAVA classes and thrown them on our IFS
    and if you click on them they run fine, easy graphic type classes that
    open an applet and have a ball float across the screen. It was
    something simple just to see if it would run.

    Now I would like to write some JAVA classes on the iSeries and run
    them. Down the road I am interested in meshing RPG and JAVA together
    to do some things over the Internet. I have already written a complete
    order entry system for the internet on the iSeries using Bradley
    Stone's CGI books and it works great. In the process of making that
    application I became curious about JAVA and using it to maybe do some
    more graphical things on the Internet that worked in concert with the
    CGI.

    All I have for a server on the iSeries is an Apache server, no
    Websphere or anything fancy, just a basic Apache server. I don't even
    know if I can run iSeries generated JAVA on this server so I could be
    dead already.

    Now I want to learn how to write and run JAVA using the iSeries as the
    generation platform and the runtime platform. Is there a book to get
    that can step me through this process step by step? Something as basic
    as possible would be what I prefer, once I get going I can build from
    it (I hope). I am not sure what I need for a runtime environment or
    even how to code the JAVA on the iSeries, I really need something that
    will hold my hand like I am idiot. We have lots of JAVA stuff
    installed on our machine as far as licensed programs go so I think the
    tools are there, I just need a yellow brick road to follow.

    Thanks for any help.

  2. Re: Getting Started with Java

    Hello,

    kbarkema01@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>> Message cut<<<

    > Now I would like to write some JAVA classes on the iSeries and run
    > them. Down the road I am interested in meshing RPG and JAVA together
    > to do some things over the Internet. I have already written a complete
    > order entry system for the internet on the iSeries using Bradley
    > Stone's CGI books and it works great. In the process of making that
    > application I became curious about JAVA and using it to maybe do some
    > more graphical things on the Internet that worked in concert with the
    > CGI.

    I've had great success making calls to Java from some RPG programs. I
    really like being able to take advantage of some of the Java API's in
    areas where I think RPG is either weak or lacking; String
    handling/Manipulation, Sockets communication, XML processing...

    > All I have for a server on the iSeries is an Apache server, no
    > Websphere or anything fancy, just a basic Apache server. I don't even
    > know if I can run iSeries generated JAVA on this server so I could be
    > dead already.

    Are you sure you don't have the Apache Tomcat server? This allows you
    to run Java servlets and JSP pages directly from the iSeries. In any
    event, this program is Free and open source, if your serious about
    creating java web apps on your '400 it's probably something you want to
    look into.

    > Now I want to learn how to write and run JAVA using the iSeries as the
    > generation platform and the runtime platform. Is there a book to get
    > that can step me through this process step by step? Something as basic
    > as possible would be what I prefer, once I get going I can build from
    > it (I hope). I am not sure what I need for a runtime environment or
    > even how to code the JAVA on the iSeries, I really need something that
    > will hold my hand like I am idiot. We have lots of JAVA stuff
    > installed on our machine as far as licensed programs go so I think the
    > tools are there, I just need a yellow brick road to follow.

    First off you want to make sure that your JRE is properly installed on
    your iSeries and note the version. This is a good place to start (for
    V5R1):
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iserie...d/jvastart.htm

    As far as application development goes, I see no need to code on the
    iSeries itself and greatly prefer the myriad of editors and development
    tools available for the PC. I code and compile on the pc (make sure you
    are compiling to the version of the JRE you are using on the iSeries) ,
    and simply deploy the final jar files to the iSeries.

    I could go on and on...

    You should also check out the JTOpen project:
    http://jt400.sourceforge.net/
    Which provides a great library for helping Java use iSeries data and
    resources.

    Hope that helps a bit,
    Carl.

  3. Re: Getting Started with Java

    kbarkema01@yahoo.com writes:

    > Now I want to learn how to write and run JAVA using the iSeries as
    > the generation platform and the runtime platform. Is there a book
    > to get that can step me through this process step by step?
    > Something as basic as possible would be what I prefer, once I get
    > going I can build from it (I hope). I am not sure what I need for a
    > runtime environment or even how to code the JAVA on the iSeries, I
    > really need something that will hold my hand like I am idiot. We
    > have lots of JAVA stuff installed on our machine as far as licensed
    > programs go so I think the tools are there, I just need a yellow
    > brick road to follow.

    I develop with Eclipse on a PC, and transfer the generated results
    (.class and .jar files) to the iSeries where they are executed.

    You will definitively find that a good IDE beats writing Java code in
    notepad (or edtf) and compiling with javac.

    --
    Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

  4. Re: Getting Started with Java

    Check books by Don Denoncourt. He's a former AS/400 developer who moved to
    Java and has several books about Java and the iSeries, Apache, etc.

    This is one, from Amazon:

    http://www.amazon.com/Java-Applicati...e=UTF8&s=books

    You may get a better price other places. or you may find your local
    bookstore carries it his books.

    Sam

    wrote in message
    news:1166116844.645812.227500@73g2000cwn.googlegro ups.com...

    > All I have for a server on the iSeries is an Apache server, no
    > Websphere or anything fancy, just a basic Apache server. I don't even
    > know if I can run iSeries generated JAVA on this server so I could be
    > dead already.
    >
    > Now I want to learn how to write and run JAVA using the iSeries as the
    > generation platform and the runtime platform. Is there a book to get
    > that can step me through this process step by step? Something as basic
    > as possible would be what I prefer, once I get going I can build from
    > it (I hope). I am not sure what I need for a runtime environment or
    > even how to code the JAVA on the iSeries, I really need something that
    > will hold my hand like I am idiot.

+ Reply to Thread