purpose for the use of keyword ASSUME - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on purpose for the use of keyword ASSUME - IBM AS400 ; hi I want to know why in the display file we use the key word ASSUME with OVERLAY. if the record can be displayed over another using OVERLAY, then why assume is used? Sometimes it happens that without using ASSUME ...

  1. purpose for the use of keyword ASSUME

    hi
    I want to know why in the display file we use the key word ASSUME with
    OVERLAY. if the record can be displayed over another using OVERLAY,
    then why assume is used? Sometimes it happens that without using ASSUME
    also our purpose is solved by using only OVERLAY.

  2. Re: purpose for the use of keyword ASSUME

    Arkaprav wrote:

    > hi
    > I want to know why in the display file we use the key word ASSUME with
    > OVERLAY. if the record can be displayed over another using OVERLAY,
    > then why assume is used? Sometimes it happens that without using ASSUME
    > also our purpose is solved by using only OVERLAY.

    Assume means the open of the display file will not clear the whole
    display. When also used with overlay this means one display file can
    overlap another. When also used with keep, which prevents the close of
    a display file from clearing the whole display this allows window style
    'lookup' programs to work with a reduced amount of flashing. Of course
    you will want to experiment with window keywords such as usrrstdsp etc
    & file settings of rstdsp. Some combinations are easier to program but
    cause more io.

    HTH
    Jonathan.

+ Reply to Thread