rpg, graphics and iseries access - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on rpg, graphics and iseries access - IBM AS400 ; Question, Is there a way to allow an image file to be displayed while running an RPG program if a user would select that option and are using a client? If I want to allow a user, during the program, ...

  1. rpg, graphics and iseries access

    Question,

    Is there a way to allow an image file to be displayed while running an
    RPG program if a user would select that option and are using a client?
    If I want to allow a user, during the program, to press a command key
    and see a drawing or image, how could/would I do that?

    can someone point me in the right direction where I can do some
    reading on this? Obviously, I assume it would only work if using
    iseries access with access to PC types of applications?? That's fine
    as that is all the emulation we use, but as I said, would like to link
    as/400 rpg code to call some sort of pc application that would/could
    display image files...

    If anyone can point me to some articles, I would appreciate it.

    thanks,
    ga
    George Applegate
    gappleg8@fscoop.com

  2. Re: rpg, graphics and iseries access

    "ga" wrote in message
    > Question,
    >
    > Is there a way to allow an image file to be displayed while running an
    > RPG program if a user would select that option and are using a client?
    > If I want to allow a user, during the program, to press a command key
    > and see a drawing or image, how could/would I do that?
    >
    > can someone point me in the right direction where I can do some
    > reading on this? Obviously, I assume it would only work if using
    > iseries access with access to PC types of applications?? That's fine
    > as that is all the emulation we use, but as I said, would like to link
    > as/400 rpg code to call some sort of pc application that would/could
    > display image files...
    >
    > If anyone can point me to some articles, I would appreciate it.
    >
    > thanks,
    > ga
    > George Applegate
    > gappleg8@fscoop.com

    Hi,

    You can have HTTP server started on your iSeries or somewhere else and from
    your RPG
    you can call STRPCO and STRPCCMD with included link

    Example:
    STRPCO
    STRPCCMD PCCMD('"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"
    "http://www.google.com/logos/edvard_munch.gif"')

    Niko.

  3. Re: rpg, graphics and iseries access

    niko wrote:

    > "ga" wrote in message
    > > Question,
    > >
    > > Is there a way to allow an image file to be displayed while running an
    > > RPG program if a user would select that option and are using a client?
    > > If I want to allow a user, during the program, to press a command key
    > > and see a drawing or image, how could/would I do that?
    > >
    > > can someone point me in the right direction where I can do some
    > > reading on this? Obviously, I assume it would only work if using
    > > iseries access with access to PC types of applications?? That's fine
    > > as that is all the emulation we use, but as I said, would like to link
    > > as/400 rpg code to call some sort of pc application that would/could
    > > display image files...
    > >
    > > If anyone can point me to some articles, I would appreciate it.
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > > ga
    > > George Applegate
    > > gappleg8@fscoop.com

    > Hi,
    >
    > You can have HTTP server started on your iSeries or somewhere else and from
    > your RPG
    > you can call STRPCO and STRPCCMD with included link
    >
    > Example:
    > STRPCO
    > STRPCCMD PCCMD('"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"
    > "http://www.google.com/logos/edvard_munch.gif"')
    >
    > Niko.

    You dont need to specify the program IEXPLORE.EXE or the path to it
    (Esp since the user may have it installed somewhere else. Just start
    "http://www.google.com/logos/edvard_munch.gif" as the command should be
    OK.
    If the filetype (gif in this case) is known to windows then it will
    open the correct viewer.
    You could use a shared drive on the as400 instead of a web server eg
    \\myas400\...

    Jonathan.

  4. Re: rpg, graphics and iseries access

    "Jonathan Bailey" wrote in message
    news:1165935046.732681.284020@j44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

    > niko wrote:
    >
    > > "ga" wrote in message
    > > > Question,
    > > >
    > > > Is there a way to allow an image file to be displayed while running an
    > > > RPG program if a user would select that option and are using a client?
    > > > If I want to allow a user, during the program, to press a command key
    > > > and see a drawing or image, how could/would I do that?
    > > >
    > > > can someone point me in the right direction where I can do some
    > > > reading on this? Obviously, I assume it would only work if using
    > > > iseries access with access to PC types of applications?? That's fine
    > > > as that is all the emulation we use, but as I said, would like to link
    > > > as/400 rpg code to call some sort of pc application that would/could
    > > > display image files...
    > > >
    > > > If anyone can point me to some articles, I would appreciate it.
    > > >
    > > > thanks,
    > > > ga
    > > > George Applegate
    > > > gappleg8@fscoop.com

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > You can have HTTP server started on your iSeries or somewhere else and

    from
    > > your RPG
    > > you can call STRPCO and STRPCCMD with included link
    > >
    > > Example:
    > > STRPCO
    > > STRPCCMD PCCMD('"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"
    > > "http://www.google.com/logos/edvard_munch.gif"')
    > >
    > > Niko.

    > You dont need to specify the program IEXPLORE.EXE or the path to it
    > (Esp since the user may have it installed somewhere else. Just start
    > "http://www.google.com/logos/edvard_munch.gif" as the command should be
    > OK.

    Yes, full path is not needed but sometimes without path to iexplore won't
    work
    Bad instal/uninstall of Mozilla or Opera etc.

    > If the filetype (gif in this case) is known to windows then it will
    > open the correct viewer.
    > You could use a shared drive on the as400 instead of a web server eg
    > \\myas400\...
    >
    > Jonathan.

    Shared drive is OK in local network but on the Internet...this is another
    story.

    Niko.

  5. Re: rpg, graphics and iseries access

    Okay, that definitely works. A couple of follow-up questions.

    Obviously, if in the program I have already called STRPCO I need to
    check in my C/L program that if already running to not start it again.
    Or end PCO when I end the display image.

    Question two, does it have to open the "PCO session A command prompt"
    box? It'd be nice if it would just display the image. RIght now it
    opens a dos window "PCO session A command prompt" and then it opens
    the image file using my default windows image handling program. So
    now I have three windows open - the as/400 session itself, then the
    dos window, then the image. I'd like to just leave the as/400 program
    session open and open the image file, but I hate to have the "PCO
    session A command prompt" popping up.

    Is there any othe way to do this other than the STRPCO route? It's
    definitely on the right track though.

    Thanks for your suggestions, both of you!
    ga

    "Jonathan Bailey" wrote:

    >niko wrote:
    >
    >> "ga" wrote in message
    >> > Question,
    >> >
    >> > Is there a way to allow an image file to be displayed while running an
    >> > RPG program if a user would select that option and are using a client?
    >> > If I want to allow a user, during the program, to press a command key
    >> > and see a drawing or image, how could/would I do that?
    >> >
    >> > can someone point me in the right direction where I can do some
    >> > reading on this? Obviously, I assume it would only work if using
    >> > iseries access with access to PC types of applications?? That's fine
    >> > as that is all the emulation we use, but as I said, would like to link
    >> > as/400 rpg code to call some sort of pc application that would/could
    >> > display image files...
    >> >
    >> > If anyone can point me to some articles, I would appreciate it.
    >> >
    >> > thanks,
    >> > ga
    >> > George Applegate
    >> > gappleg8@fscoop.com

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> You can have HTTP server started on your iSeries or somewhere else and from
    >> your RPG
    >> you can call STRPCO and STRPCCMD with included link
    >>
    >> Example:
    >> STRPCO
    >> STRPCCMD PCCMD('"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"
    >> "http://www.google.com/logos/edvard_munch.gif"')
    >>
    >> Niko.

    >You dont need to specify the program IEXPLORE.EXE or the path to it
    >(Esp since the user may have it installed somewhere else. Just start
    >"http://www.google.com/logos/edvard_munch.gif" as the command should be
    >OK.
    >If the filetype (gif in this case) is known to windows then it will
    >open the correct viewer.
    >You could use a shared drive on the as400 instead of a web server eg
    >\\myas400\...
    >
    >Jonathan.

    George Applegate
    gappleg8@fscoop.com

  6. Re: rpg, graphics and iseries access

    Hello George,

    You can use the CA/400 STRPCCMD option.

    If you're interested in a commercial option our iSeries Office Integrator
    product might be of interest.

    iSeries Office Integrator allows you to launch PC files, web sites, perform
    MS Word mail merges and more.

    For more info check out our web site or feel free to contact me directly.

    Regards,
    Richard Schoen
    RJS Software Systems Inc.
    "Providing Your....iNFORMATION NOW!"
    Email: richard@rjssoftware.com
    Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
    Tel: (952) 898-3038
    Fax: (952) 898-1781
    Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT

    "ga" wrote in message
    > Question,
    >
    > Is there a way to allow an image file to be displayed while running an
    > RPG program if a user would select that option and are using a client?
    > If I want to allow a user, during the program, to press a command key
    > and see a drawing or image, how could/would I do that?
    >
    > can someone point me in the right direction where I can do some
    > reading on this? Obviously, I assume it would only work if using
    > iseries access with access to PC types of applications?? That's fine
    > as that is all the emulation we use, but as I said, would like to link
    > as/400 rpg code to call some sort of pc application that would/could
    > display image files...
    >
    > If anyone can point me to some articles, I would appreciate it.
    >
    > thanks,
    > ga
    > George Applegate
    > gappleg8@fscoop.com

  7. Re: rpg, graphics and iseries access

    Hi,

    Use STRPCCMD PAUSE(*NO)

    You don't need to call ENDPCO or check for it, just add MONMSG.
    See in documentation for STRPCCMD what are messages and which of them you
    should monitor.
    (I think it is IWS4010 on v5r3 ?!?!?!?)

    Niko.

  8. Re: rpg, graphics and iseries access

    Ironically I was thinking of this this very morning.

    I don't use STRP* or whatever these are but RUNRMTCMD where this has
    been setup on the user PC. I have found this to be more effective but I
    accept a tad higher in the fiddle stakes. I just think it offers more
    options in terms of accessing programs in different ways on different
    systems.

    More technically advanced is something along the lines of when I was
    chatting to a more IP orientated RPG programmer the other week and he
    is convinced that a PC program using sockets installed on the PC and
    the ability for this program to talk another program on the beast is
    the way to go....I can't comment on that (yet). ALSO....one of our PC
    programmers upon me telling him this story says why use the IFS or
    windows at all? Just store the ASCII file inside a blob in a DB2 field
    and use the IP program (on the PC) to access the fields directly from
    DB2 and then do its 'thing' with file ie sound or JPG etc. Cool idea as
    all data is in the database.

    However, to answer your question, try searching on RUNRMTCMD in this
    group.

    Anyone else have any thoughts?

  9. Re: rpg, graphics and iseries access

    wrote in message
    news:1166003654.584174.287250@80g2000cwy.googlegro ups.com...
    > However, to answer your question, try searching on RUNRMTCMD in this
    > group.
    >
    > Anyone else have any thoughts?

    Basicaly, RUNRMTCMD is REXEC on iSeries, so to send command to PC you have
    to have
    REXEC deamon started on your PC side.
    This means that you are sending rexec command to your PC which will execute
    some code to receive
    and maybe show data/information from your iSeries. Which leads to conclusion
    that you need to have
    not only REXECdeamon but some intermedia program to retreive data before
    show it with browser or
    some other program. (Yes, this could be IBM CA file transfer)

    If you are company with outsourcing and have hundreds of users on your ASP
    system,
    manging it could be very compilcated and time demanding task. (is deamon
    started, is deamon configured properly, is intermedia program working or its
    configuration is ok?????)

    Offcourse, this could be the best solution for some other things but if you
    just want to show stored (files),
    fastest and simpiliest I have found and using last 6 years is STRP*
    commands.

    I am using STRP* not only for showing images but PDF files and HTML
    generated from spool files
    like invoices (including some bacground image or logo on header and so
    on...)

    Finally....

    You can protect acces to webserver with some username and password so by
    calling STRPCCMD provide usr and pw like STRPCCMD
    CMD('http://userassword@server/images/imege.gif').
    And this will work on any gui OS with 5250 telnet and remotecommand support
    inside it.
    STRP* command is sent directly trough 5250 session without any service
    runing in background.

    Niko.

  10. Re: rpg, graphics and iseries access

    Yes I agree with what you say. I have not used the STRP* commands for
    many years as they were inadequate for what I wanted at the time.
    However I no longer remember why they weren't upto scratch so will have
    another look at them.

+ Reply to Thread