Spooled file printing problem - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Spooled file printing problem - IBM AS400 ; Hi all, I've got spooled produced by an RPG program and an externally described PRTF. They print fine on *SCS defined LAN laserprinters. I copy these spools to a PF (including the control character *FCFC) and then back to a ...

  1. Spooled file printing problem

    Hi all,

    I've got spooled produced by an RPG program and an externally described
    PRTF.
    They print fine on *SCS defined LAN laserprinters.

    I copy these spools to a PF (including the control character *FCFC) and
    then back to a PRTF that has *AFPDS as device type (because later on I
    want to print an overlay). The PRTF with *AFPDS has exactly the same
    properties as the original PRTF (lines, overflow, font etc...).
    The new spoolfile that results out if this operation, looks OK when
    displayed (both on a green screen or the AFP Viewer): line 1 and 2 are
    seperate lines.

    But when printing the spool file on the *SCS printer, it goes wrong:
    line 2 is printed on top of line 1.
    All the rest of the print is identical to the original spoolfile but of
    course everything is shifted one line up.

    Why the second line screws up is a mystery to me.

    Just for testing puposes, I've hardcoded this in the PRTF source: it
    prints 78 characters on line 1 and 2.

    1 1'123456789012345678901234567890-
    123456789012345678901234567890-
    123456789012345678'
    2 1'223456789012345678901234567890-
    123456789012345678901234567890-
    123456789012345678'

    Yet these two lines print on top of each other in the copy of the
    spoolfile.
    I've been struggling for hours with this problem. If anyone has a
    suggestion I'd be very pleased!

    --
    Paul

  2. Re: Spooled file printing problem

    Paul D B wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've got spooled produced by an RPG program and an externally
    > described PRTF.
    > They print fine on *SCS defined LAN laserprinters.
    >
    > I copy these spools to a PF (including the control character *FCFC)
    > and then back to a PRTF that has *AFPDS as device type (because later
    > on I want to print an overlay). The PRTF with *AFPDS has exactly the
    > same properties as the original PRTF (lines, overflow, font etc...).
    > The new spoolfile that results out if this operation, looks OK when
    > displayed (both on a green screen or the AFP Viewer): line 1 and 2 are
    > seperate lines.
    >
    > But when printing the spool file on the *SCS printer, it goes wrong:
    > line 2 is printed on top of line 1.
    > All the rest of the print is identical to the original spoolfile but
    > of course everything is shifted one line up.
    >
    > Why the second line screws up is a mystery to me.
    >
    > Just for testing puposes, I've hardcoded this in the PRTF source: it
    > prints 78 characters on line 1 and 2.
    >
    > 1 1'123456789012345678901234567890-
    > 123456789012345678901234567890-
    > 123456789012345678'
    > 2 1'223456789012345678901234567890-
    > 123456789012345678901234567890-
    > 123456789012345678'
    >
    > Yet these two lines print on top of each other in the copy of the
    > spoolfile.
    > I've been struggling for hours with this problem. If anyone has a
    > suggestion I'd be very pleased!

    Hi again...

    really nobody can help me?

    To simplify the problems: I also have it when changing the original PRTF
    to a DEVTYPE *AFPDS.
    Then, the first two lines print on top of each other.

    So the whole copy to a physical file and to a new PRTF is not needed to
    demoinstrate the problem, nor is it the cause of it.

    Some important info: I'm printing the spoolfile on a laserprinter that
    is defined as follows:

    CRTDEVPRT DEVD(PRT19SEC) DEVCLS(*LAN) TYPE(3812) MODEL(1) +
    LANATTACH(*IP) PORT(9100) ATTACH(*DIRECT) ONLINE(*YES) +
    FONT(011 *NONE) FORMFEED(*AUTOCUT) SEPDRAWER(*FILE) +
    PRTERRMSG(*INFO) MSGQ(*CTLD) ACTTMR(180) INACTTMR(*SEC15) +
    LINESPEED(19200) WORDLEN(8) PARITY(*NONE) STOPBITS(1) +
    TRANSFORM(*YES) MFRTYPMDL(*HPCOLORLJ) PPRSRC1(*A4) +
    PPRSRC2(*NONE) ENVELOPE(*NUMBER10) ASCII899(*NO) +
    IMGCFG(*NONE) CHRID(*SYSVAL) RMTLOCNAME('172.16.1.246') +
    SYSDRVPGM(*HPPJLDRV) TEXT('Printer Kyocera FSC5030N +
    Secr.') PUBLISHINF(*DUPLEX *COLOR *UNKNOWN *UNKNOWN +
    'BOEKHOUDING' (*UNKNOWN))

    PS: Even an overlay prints fine
    --
    Paul

  3. Re: Spooled file printing problem

    Paul D B wrote:
    > Paul D B wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I've got spooled produced by an RPG program and an externally
    >> described PRTF.
    >> They print fine on *SCS defined LAN laserprinters.

    OK, found it.

    The problem is related to the "unprintable border" as defined in the
    default WSCST objects (in my case, *HPCOLORJ).

    Something printed on Line 1 (as described in the DDS) can be printed on
    a matrixprinter, but not on a laserprinter because line 1 = 1/6 inch
    counting from the physical edge of the paper and that is still in the
    unprintable area.

    What happens now is that, when the Host transform function transforms an
    *SCS spoolfile, it will shift down all lines so that line 1 prints, and
    so does line 2 and so on. All looks correct but it isn't. If you measure
    where line 1 is printed, it is in fact printed too low, at lineposition
    2 in fact and all other lines are one line too low as well.

    When you spool the file as *AFPDS , the Host Print Transform will not do
    this. It will print line 1 where it can (so at line position 2) and then
    print line 2, at the correct line position. So the two lines cover each
    other.

    The same goes for the columns, by the way

    The golden rule seems to be: avoid using line position 1, and column
    position 1 if you are defining printerfiles in DDS that need to be
    printed exactly the same on SCS or AFPDS printers.

    Hope this helps somebody one day

    --
    Paul

+ Reply to Thread