2 - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on 2 - IBM AS400 ; Hello, I am 30y.o. iSeries engineer ceritfied on design and implementation on v5r2 and v5r3 and have 5 years experience with iSeries. I am also MCSE for Windows Server 2003 with 4y exp with Windows Server and clients. And I ...

  1. 2

    Hello,

    I am 30y.o. iSeries engineer ceritfied on design and implementation on v5r2
    and v5r3 and have 5 years experience with iSeries. I am also MCSE for
    Windows Server 2003 with 4y exp with Windows Server and clients. And I have
    BSc in electrical engineering (on best univ in my country)

    I am looking for new job, and I must choose between iSeries and Windows
    Server. There are no firms to let me be engineer for both.

    This is a really tough decision I will be making in the future. If I choose
    iSeries now, I will do only iSeries until the end of my life, if I choose
    Microsoft, I will never see iSeries again.

    I think Windows could be safer way because of market share and number of
    open vacancies. There are not much firms in my small country dealing with
    iSeries, so it would be difficult to loose job if I am only iSeries
    engineer. That means worse work conditions and relations. But then agian, I
    am more difficult to replace. I dont know.

    Going out of country is also a option. I dont have a family, so.. do you
    think I could get job abroad maybe in US?

  2. Re: 2

    I honestly think that you are wrong...
    Now at days the as400/iseries/i systems are so inter-related to the M$ win
    systems that it would be almos imposible to keep them apart. But I do
    agree with the fact that it would be easier to get your self a job on the
    windows market as compare the midrange market. My recommendation would be
    to get whatever is the best option for you regardless of the plataform.
    Good luck on your job hunting.

    On Mon, 11 Dec
    2006 00:52:33 +0100, nobig wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am 30y.o. iSeries engineer ceritfied on design and implementation on v5r2
    > and v5r3 and have 5 years experience with iSeries. I am also MCSE for
    > Windows Server 2003 with 4y exp with Windows Server and clients. And I have
    > BSc in electrical engineering (on best univ in my country)
    >
    > I am looking for new job, and I must choose between iSeries and Windows
    > Server. There are no firms to let me be engineer for both.
    >
    > This is a really tough decision I will be making in the future. If I choose
    > iSeries now, I will do only iSeries until the end of my life, if I choose
    > Microsoft, I will never see iSeries again.
    >
    > I think Windows could be safer way because of market share and number of
    > open vacancies. There are not much firms in my small country dealing with
    > iSeries, so it would be difficult to loose job if I am only iSeries
    > engineer. That means worse work conditions and relations. But then agian, I
    > am more difficult to replace. I dont know.
    >
    > Going out of country is also a option. I dont have a family, so.. do you
    > think I could get job abroad maybe in US?

+ Reply to Thread