PHP, CL and RPG - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on PHP, CL and RPG - IBM AS400 ; "It is not as hard as it might look, but nowhere near the facilities of PHP. CL and even RPG has nothing like PHP arrays." interesting. I wonder what else is missing from PHP. networking libraries? (http, ftp, etc) XML ...

  1. PHP, CL and RPG

    "It is not as hard as it might look, but nowhere near the facilities of

    PHP. CL and even RPG has nothing like PHP arrays."

    interesting.

    I wonder what else is missing from PHP.

    networking libraries? (http, ftp, etc)
    XML parsing? (rss, soap, wdsl, etc)
    database conectivity?
    string handling functions?
    hash tables (arrays) ?
    object oriented programming (like any of us need that)
    classes
    overriding
    overloading
    modules

    user defined functions? (not executing other programs, but many
    functions inside a program)
    functions with variable parameter count
    file handling functions (like file_get_contents(), glob, )

    I guess noone is rushing to write rss readers in CL, perhaps the
    [AS/400] system is just simply aging to death.

  2. Re: PHP, CL and RPG

    fel wrote:
    > "It is not as hard as it might look, but nowhere near the facilities of
    >
    > PHP. CL and even RPG has nothing like PHP arrays."
    >
    > interesting.
    >
    > I wonder what else is missing from PHP.
    >
    > networking libraries? (http, ftp, etc)
    > XML parsing? (rss, soap, wdsl, etc)
    > database conectivity?
    > string handling functions?
    > hash tables (arrays) ?
    > object oriented programming (like any of us need that)
    > classes
    > overriding
    > overloading
    > modules
    >
    > user defined functions? (not executing other programs, but many
    > functions inside a program)
    > functions with variable parameter count
    > file handling functions (like file_get_contents(), glob, )
    >

    > I guess noone is rushing to write rss readers in CL, perhaps the
    > [AS/400] system is just simply aging to death.

    basically, IBM will not lower the price to the level you pay on other
    platforms. The system p5 is identical hardware to the i5, yet the i5 is
    many times the price. On top of that IBM then slows the CPU of its best
    selling 520 models to 1/6th and 1/3rd of the rated speed. The price of
    the 600 CPW i5 520 starts at $12K. Compare this to a dual core p5 520
    with a price starting at $10K that has the equivalent of 7000 CPW. I
    have not been able to work with PHP on the i5 but I doubt you can
    support many PHP users with a 1/6th core 600 CPW i5 520.
    http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/p/hard.../91311k3a.html

    i5/OS and the ILE languages are decent. especially compared to what
    Linux has to offer. Using the compiler pre processor APIs you could
    actually write a PHP compiler that runs native and integrates with the
    system debugger. The problem is modern languages with built in garbage
    collection, reference counting, object support, need a lot of low cost
    CPU to run effectively. IBM simply refuses to allow that to happen.

    -Steve

+ Reply to Thread