question from UNIX guy - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on question from UNIX guy - IBM AS400 ; hi all, as the subject says i am a UNIX guy but the pickings have been slim and i may have a shot at a as/400 job. while i would not hide the fact that i havent worked with the ...

  1. question from UNIX guy

    hi all,

    as the subject says i am a UNIX guy but the pickings have been slim and
    i may have a shot at a as/400 job. while i would not hide the fact that
    i havent worked with the as/400, i would like to be able to discuss
    matters with at least a bit of knowledge, so:
    can you provide a quick primer for me? compare/contrast? is the command
    lang is jcl, (there is a cmd lang, right)? it uses EBCIDIC, (sp)? i
    imagine the major dev lang would be cobol? what you call a systems
    programmer would be similar to a UNIX admin?

    thanks for your time,
    peter

  2. Re: question from UNIX guy

    peter wrote:
    > hi all,
    >
    > as the subject says i am a UNIX guy but the pickings have been slim and
    > i may have a shot at a as/400 job.

    what! I am studying AIX because there are no AS400 jobs.

    > while i would not hide the fact that
    > i havent worked with the as/400, i would like to be able to discuss
    > matters with at least a bit of knowledge, so:
    > can you provide a quick primer for me? compare/contrast? is the command
    > lang is jcl, (there is a cmd lang, right)?

    CL - control language or maybe it is command language. You admin the
    system by entering commands at the command entry display. There are a
    lot of commands. A sample are WRKACTJOB - work with the jobs that are
    running on the system. CPYF - copy a file. DLTF - delete a file.
    STRSQL - start an SQL session. CALL - call a program. CRTRPGMOD -
    create a code module from RPG source code. CRTPGM - create an
    executable program from one or more code modules. DSPMSG - display the
    messages in a message queue. WRKOUTQ - work with the spooled output (
    reports ) in an output queue.

    > it uses EBCIDIC, (sp)?

    EBCDIC. Yes, but people hardly have to deal with that.

    > i imagine the major dev lang would be cobol?

    some shops run COBOL. most run RPG.

    > what you call a systems
    > programmer would be similar to a UNIX admin?

    more like system operator. but admin probably better describes what the
    operations staff does.

    > thanks for your time,

    Peter, there are timeshare systems you can telnet to that would be
    perfect for learning the system. Very inexpensive. I was going to
    recommend you buy a used system on ebay but I think 90% of what you
    would need to practice could be done via timeshare.

    good luck,

    -Steve

  3. Re: question from UNIX guy

    peter writes:

    > hi all,
    >
    > as the subject says i am a UNIX guy but the pickings have been slim
    > and i may have a shot at a as/400 job. while i would not hide the
    > fact that i havent worked with the as/400, i would like to be able to
    > discuss matters with at least a bit of knowledge, so:

    You may be interested in the fact that there is an optional subsystem
    (PASE) in which the world looks like Unix. Actually to the degree
    that you can open an xterm across the network.

    There is also a plain QSH which emulates a unix session from within
    the AS/400 environment.

    You may want to look into getting an account on one of the publicly
    available AS/400 systems. It will help you
    --
    Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

  4. Re: question from UNIX guy

    Steve Richter wrote:
    > peter wrote:
    >> hi all,
    >>
    >> as the subject says i am a UNIX guy but the pickings have been slim and
    >> i may have a shot at a as/400 job.

    > what! I am studying AIX because there are no AS400 jobs.

    where are you? i am on the upper east coast, usa.

    do me a favor and see if the AIX passwd "bug" still exists...
    logon, type passwd, enter any series of chars other than your
    password, wait for time out.
    does the entered text still display once the passwd cmd times out?

    thanks,
    peter

  5. Re: question from UNIX guy

    "Steve Richter" wrote in message
    news:1165343435.788269.311760@73g2000cwn.googlegro ups.com...

    > peter wrote:
    >> hi all,
    >>
    >> as the subject says i am a UNIX guy but the pickings have been slim and
    >> i may have a shot at a as/400 job.

    > what! I am studying AIX because there are no AS400 jobs.

    The jobs are all on another proprietary operating system - MS Windows.

    http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh120406-story03.html

    All running proprietary software applications - no need to worry about
    portability to other platforms etc etc.

    Rj.

  6. Re: question from UNIX guy

    DBDriver wrote:
    > "Steve Richter" wrote in message
    > news:1165343435.788269.311760@73g2000cwn.googlegro ups.com...
    >> peter wrote:
    >>> hi all,
    >>>
    >>> as the subject says i am a UNIX guy but the pickings have been slim and
    >>> i may have a shot at a as/400 job.

    >> what! I am studying AIX because there are no AS400 jobs.
    >>

    > The jobs are all on another proprietary operating system - MS Windows.
    >
    > http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh120406-story03.html

    eeeuuuu! working on m s would seem like something from "fear factor"
    i hope it does come to that...

  7. Re: question from UNIX guy

    We use and recommend RPM.... You can easily receive the UNIX spool
    file on a PC and apply formatting, perform data transformations, or
    call third-party applications, before printing or archiving documents.
    It will also convert EBCDIC to ASCII.
    http://www.brooksnet.com/unix-lprlpd...kprinting.html

    Good luck!

    FT

    peter wrote:
    > hi all,
    >
    > as the subject says i am a UNIX guy but the pickings have been slim and
    > i may have a shot at a as/400 job. while i would not hide the fact that
    > i havent worked with the as/400, i would like to be able to discuss
    > matters with at least a bit of knowledge, so:
    > can you provide a quick primer for me? compare/contrast? is the command
    > lang is jcl, (there is a cmd lang, right)? it uses EBCIDIC, (sp)? i
    > imagine the major dev lang would be cobol? what you call a systems
    > programmer would be similar to a UNIX admin?
    >
    > thanks for your time,
    > peter

  8. Re: question from UNIX guy

    peter wrote:
    > hi all,
    >
    > as the subject says i am a UNIX guy but the pickings have been slim and
    > i may have a shot at a as/400 job. while i would not hide the fact that
    > i havent worked with the as/400, i would like to be able to discuss
    > matters with at least a bit of knowledge, so:
    > can you provide a quick primer for me? compare/contrast?

    The capabilities are very similar, but there's a lot less 'hands on'
    maintenance required on a working system IMO. Even if you don't know CL
    very well, every system function is available via hierarchal menus, and
    every single screen/command has extensive online help available via
    'F1'. Every command is promptable too, which gives access right down to
    the individual parameters. I guess my point is that OS/400 is very
    operator/administrator friendly.

    A good place to start is the iSeries InfoCenter hosted by IBM. It
    contains some introductory info as well as complete documentation of
    the rest of the system.

    >is the command lang is jcl, (there is a cmd lang, right)?

    Nope. JCL is a mainframe thing, you'll probably be using CL for most of
    that kind of work on OS/400. There is also REXX, but its not as widely
    known.

    >it uses EBCIDIC, (sp)?

    Natively, yes. But the only time you'll care is when you are wondering
    why numeric and alpha lists sort in the opposite order you are used to.
    Anything time conversion (to ASCII for example) is actually required
    it is almost universally transparent to you or anyone else.

    > imagine the major dev lang would be cobol?

    COBOL does live in the OS/400 world, but once again, its far more
    common on mainframes. The vast majority of code on OS/400 is likely
    written in some variety of RPG. C is also popular, C++ is available,
    and JAVA is gaining steam on the web services side of things.

    >what you call a systems
    > programmer would be similar to a UNIX admin?

    Depends on the shop. There are a *lot* of installations with just one
    or two guys doing everything from operations to development, and then
    there are much stricter setups as well.

    Typically programmers do programming, backups, job scheduling, etc,
    would be done by an operator.

    > thanks for your time,
    > peter

    The tools are different, the commands have different names (in some
    cases) but for the most part, you'll probably feel quite comfortable
    with OS/400.

  9. Re: question from UNIX guy

    > The tools are different, the commands have different names (in some
    > cases) but for the most part, you'll probably feel quite comfortable
    > with OS/400.

    thanks for your on going comments. I submitted my resume and will let
    you know if some good happens
    cheers,
    peter

+ Reply to Thread