How long does it take to backup the HMC? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on How long does it take to backup the HMC? - IBM AS400 ; I was curious how long it takes the HMC to back up its critical console data. We just started ours for the first time and it has been running for 2 hours with no end in sight. Does anyone know ...

  1. How long does it take to backup the HMC?

    I was curious how long it takes the HMC to back up its critical console
    data. We just started ours for the first time and it has been running
    for 2 hours with no end in sight. Does anyone know how long this
    should take, or have any times I could compare to? We have a 7310.
    Thanks.

  2. Re: How long does it take to backup the HMC?

    Took me about 25 minutes. Did you init the DVD first??

    jason.baczynski@membersunited.org wrote:
    > I was curious how long it takes the HMC to back up its critical console
    > data. We just started ours for the first time and it has been running
    > for 2 hours with no end in sight. Does anyone know how long this
    > should take, or have any times I could compare to? We have a 7310.
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: How long does it take to backup the HMC?

    Took me about 25 minutes. Did you init the DVD first??

    jason.baczynski@membersunited.org wrote:
    > I was curious how long it takes the HMC to back up its critical console
    > data. We just started ours for the first time and it has been running
    > for 2 hours with no end in sight. Does anyone know how long this
    > should take, or have any times I could compare to? We have a 7310.
    > Thanks.

  4. Re: How long does it take to backup the HMC?

    Perhaps not. Do you mean format it, or is there another choice?

    jacko wrote:
    > Took me about 25 minutes. Did you init the DVD first??
    >

    > jason.baczynski@membersunited.org wrote:
    > > I was curious how long it takes the HMC to back up its critical console
    > > data. We just started ours for the first time and it has been running
    > > for 2 hours with no end in sight. Does anyone know how long this
    > > should take, or have any times I could compare to? We have a 7310.
    > > Thanks.

  5. Re: How long does it take to backup the HMC?

    jason.baczynski@membersunited.org wrote:
    > I was curious how long it takes the HMC to back up its critical console
    > data. We just started ours for the first time and it has been running
    > for 2 hours with no end in sight. Does anyone know how long this
    > should take, or have any times I could compare to? We have a 7310.
    > Thanks.

    How long it takes varies depending on how many efixes you have
    installed. The critical console data backup includes the HMC
    configuration as well as all code fixes installed on top of the base
    level code for your HMC release. So, for example, if you are running
    the backup right after scratching the HMC with a new release the backup
    will be significantly faster than if you are backing up the HMC after
    you've installed a bunch of MHxxxxx corrective service fixes on top of
    your base release.

    That said, 2 hours is certainly on the high side but not unheard of.

  6. Re: How long does it take to backup the HMC?

    Yes the format option.
    oogla wrote:
    > jason.baczynski@membersunited.org wrote:
    > > I was curious how long it takes the HMC to back up its critical console
    > > data. We just started ours for the first time and it has been running
    > > for 2 hours with no end in sight. Does anyone know how long this
    > > should take, or have any times I could compare to? We have a 7310.
    > > Thanks.

    > How long it takes varies depending on how many efixes you have
    > installed. The critical console data backup includes the HMC
    > configuration as well as all code fixes installed on top of the base
    > level code for your HMC release. So, for example, if you are running
    > the backup right after scratching the HMC with a new release the backup
    > will be significantly faster than if you are backing up the HMC after
    > you've installed a bunch of MHxxxxx corrective service fixes on top of
    > your base release.
    >
    > That said, 2 hours is certainly on the high side but not unheard of.

  7. Re: How long does it take to backup the HMC?

    I cancelled it, formatted, and re-ran the backup which then took just
    over 2 hours. Thanks for the help.

    jacko wrote:
    > Yes the format option.
    > oogla wrote:
    > > jason.baczynski@membersunited.org wrote:
    > > > I was curious how long it takes the HMC to back up its critical console
    > > > data. We just started ours for the first time and it has been running
    > > > for 2 hours with no end in sight. Does anyone know how long this
    > > > should take, or have any times I could compare to? We have a 7310.
    > > > Thanks.

    > > How long it takes varies depending on how many efixes you have
    > > installed. The critical console data backup includes the HMC
    > > configuration as well as all code fixes installed on top of the base
    > > level code for your HMC release. So, for example, if you are running
    > > the backup right after scratching the HMC with a new release the backup
    > > will be significantly faster than if you are backing up the HMC after
    > > you've installed a bunch of MHxxxxx corrective service fixes on top of
    > > your base release.
    > >
    > > That said, 2 hours is certainly on the high side but not unheard of.

+ Reply to Thread