Changing "Force Translate" in I-series navigator - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Changing "Force Translate" in I-series navigator - IBM AS400 ; I'm using the IBM I series navigator to run some sql. I use Navigator to test my sql (using the "run SQL scripts" option), which I then incorporate into a little VB application. Depending on the datatype of any given ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Changing "Force Translate" in I-series navigator

  1. Changing "Force Translate" in I-series navigator

    I'm using the IBM I series navigator to run some sql. I use Navigator
    to test my sql (using the "run SQL scripts" option), which I then
    incorporate into a little VB application.

    Depending on the datatype of any given field, the charcaters may show
    up as some unreadable code. in the Iseries navigator window.

    I'm 99.9% sure that this relates to the CCSID/ force translation
    options. I'm quite sure because I changed these parameters when I had
    similar issues with an ODBC connection and an OLEDB connection string.

    Thus my question is, how and where I do I change the parameters for the
    Force Translate in I series navgator so that I can read my fields as
    they should be. Note that I'm not trying to change any server settings,
    I just want to see the output correctly on my PC

    I don't think it's relevant but it's worth mentioning... I'm connecting
    to a server in the US, I'm using a French PC, and I've got the French
    version of I sertries Navigator

    Thanks for any assistance you can give.


  2. Re: Changing "Force Translate" in I-series navigator

    Mo

    When you go into "Run SQL Scripts" access the JDBC setup (it uses JDBC
    as opposed to ODBC) through the connection menu. As you'll see it's
    pretty much the same config parms as ODBC and you'll find the translate
    ccsid 65535 there. I'd try that in the first instance.

    If not post back with more details and I'll have a look again.

    Regards

    Rob.


    mo_in_france wrote:
    > I'm using the IBM I series navigator to run some sql. I use Navigator
    > to test my sql (using the "run SQL scripts" option), which I then
    > incorporate into a little VB application.
    >
    > Depending on the datatype of any given field, the charcaters may show
    > up as some unreadable code. in the Iseries navigator window.
    >
    > I'm 99.9% sure that this relates to the CCSID/ force translation
    > options. I'm quite sure because I changed these parameters when I had
    > similar issues with an ODBC connection and an OLEDB connection string.
    >
    > Thus my question is, how and where I do I change the parameters for the
    > Force Translate in I series navgator so that I can read my fields as
    > they should be. Note that I'm not trying to change any server settings,
    > I just want to see the output correctly on my PC
    >
    > I don't think it's relevant but it's worth mentioning... I'm connecting
    > to a server in the US, I'm using a French PC, and I've got the French
    > version of I sertries Navigator
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance you can give.



  3. Re: Changing "Force Translate" in I-series navigator

    Rob,

    Bless you and may you live a thousand lives!

    (So much of my life wasted trying to find the correct box to check/
    uncheck).

    Regards

    Mo





    Rob wrote:
    > Mo
    >
    > When you go into "Run SQL Scripts" access the JDBC setup (it uses JDBC
    > as opposed to ODBC) through the connection menu. As you'll see it's
    > pretty much the same config parms as ODBC and you'll find the translate
    > ccsid 65535 there. I'd try that in the first instance.
    >
    > If not post back with more details and I'll have a look again.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Rob.
    >
    >
    > mo_in_france wrote:
    > > I'm using the IBM I series navigator to run some sql. I use Navigator
    > > to test my sql (using the "run SQL scripts" option), which I then
    > > incorporate into a little VB application.
    > >
    > > Depending on the datatype of any given field, the charcaters may show
    > > up as some unreadable code. in the Iseries navigator window.
    > >
    > > I'm 99.9% sure that this relates to the CCSID/ force translation
    > > options. I'm quite sure because I changed these parameters when I had
    > > similar issues with an ODBC connection and an OLEDB connection string.
    > >
    > > Thus my question is, how and where I do I change the parameters for the
    > > Force Translate in I series navgator so that I can read my fields as
    > > they should be. Note that I'm not trying to change any server settings,
    > > I just want to see the output correctly on my PC
    > >
    > > I don't think it's relevant but it's worth mentioning... I'm connecting
    > > to a server in the US, I'm using a French PC, and I've got the French
    > > version of I sertries Navigator
    > >
    > > Thanks for any assistance you can give.



+ Reply to Thread