GetHostByName in Batch is failing? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on GetHostByName in Batch is failing? - IBM AS400 ; I have a user using an application of mine that uses the GetHostByName API to retrieve the IP address of a domain. Interactivley the program works great. If they submit the exact same job to batch, it errors on on ...

  1. GetHostByName in Batch is failing?

    I have a user using an application of mine that uses the GetHostByName
    API to retrieve the IP address of a domain.

    Interactivley the program works great.

    If they submit the exact same job to batch, it errors on on
    GetHostByName saying it can't resolve the host. And it's only on one
    specific host, not every one used.

    What's weird is it's only in batch. The error spit out refers to the
    domain used as well, and it doesn't look like there is any garbage in
    the field at all that could cause issues (like some parms do in batch).

    Anywhere else I can look? I don't see how it would be any different.

  2. Re: GetHostByName in Batch is failing?

    Hi Bradley

    A compplete shot in the dark but it's not to do with the jobd/libl or
    ccsid of the submitted job is it? Is there anything unusual about the
    host name?

    Rob.

    Bradley V. Stone wrote:
    > I have a user using an application of mine that uses the GetHostByName
    > API to retrieve the IP address of a domain.
    >
    > Interactivley the program works great.
    >
    > If they submit the exact same job to batch, it errors on on
    > GetHostByName saying it can't resolve the host. And it's only on one
    > specific host, not every one used.
    >
    > What's weird is it's only in batch. The error spit out refers to the
    > domain used as well, and it doesn't look like there is any garbage in
    > the field at all that could cause issues (like some parms do in batch).
    >
    > Anywhere else I can look? I don't see how it would be any different.

  3. Re: GetHostByName in Batch is failing?

    Hi Bradley

    Excuse my inability to write in complete sentences and correct English
    yesterday as we had a long day migrating a system.

    What I actually meant to say was:

    a) CCSID. Is the submitted job running under a different CCSID and
    could this be causing the issue? Is there a non standard character in
    the name?

    b) Is there a spurious QATOCHOST on the system that is somehow being
    used instead of the one in QUSRSYS? This would obviously point to the
    submitted job having a different library list. (ps. I don't know for
    certain it uses QATOCHOST so I'm assuming here)

    But my final suspicion is that it's a more deep-rooted than either of
    these.

    Regards

    Rob.

    Bradley V. Stone wrote:
    > I have a user using an application of mine that uses the GetHostByName
    > API to retrieve the IP address of a domain.
    >
    > Interactivley the program works great.
    >
    > If they submit the exact same job to batch, it errors on on
    > GetHostByName saying it can't resolve the host. And it's only on one
    > specific host, not every one used.
    >
    > What's weird is it's only in batch. The error spit out refers to the
    > domain used as well, and it doesn't look like there is any garbage in
    > the field at all that could cause issues (like some parms do in batch).
    >
    > Anywhere else I can look? I don't see how it would be any different.

  4. Re: GetHostByName in Batch is failing?

    Actually haven't heard from the customer since my post. Maybe they
    figured it out. We shall see, I like to make sure and follow up on
    issues like this. If anything to find out what the problem was.

    Brad

    Rob wrote:
    > Hi Bradley
    >
    > Excuse my inability to write in complete sentences and correct English
    > yesterday as we had a long day migrating a system.
    >
    > What I actually meant to say was:
    >
    > a) CCSID. Is the submitted job running under a different CCSID and
    > could this be causing the issue? Is there a non standard character in
    > the name?
    >
    > b) Is there a spurious QATOCHOST on the system that is somehow being
    > used instead of the one in QUSRSYS? This would obviously point to the
    > submitted job having a different library list. (ps. I don't know for
    > certain it uses QATOCHOST so I'm assuming here)
    >
    > But my final suspicion is that it's a more deep-rooted than either of
    > these.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Rob.
    >
    > Bradley V. Stone wrote:
    >
    >>I have a user using an application of mine that uses the GetHostByName
    >>API to retrieve the IP address of a domain.
    >>
    >>Interactivley the program works great.
    >>
    >>If they submit the exact same job to batch, it errors on on
    >>GetHostByName saying it can't resolve the host. And it's only on one
    >>specific host, not every one used.
    >>
    >>What's weird is it's only in batch. The error spit out refers to the
    >>domain used as well, and it doesn't look like there is any garbage in
    >>the field at all that could cause issues (like some parms do in batch).
    >>
    >>Anywhere else I can look? I don't see how it would be any different.

  5. Re: GetHostByName in Batch is failing?

    Make sure that they have an Internet host name configured on the iseries via
    GO CFGTCP, option 12.

    Also make sure there is a pingable host entry on the iSeries that matches
    the entry created above. GO CFGTCP, option 10.

    We've had a few obscure issues with NFS in the past where the host name was
    configured in option 12, but no host entry existed. The iSeries then
    couldn't even see its own host table.

    Regards,
    Richard Schoen
    RJS Software Systems Inc.
    "Providing Your....iNFORMATION NOW!"
    Email: richard@rjssoftware.com
    Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
    Tel: (952) 898-3038
    Fax: (952) 898-1781
    Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT

    "Bradley V. Stone" wrote in message
    news:a17f4$4575da72$41a099a1$15304@myclearwave.net ...
    > Actually haven't heard from the customer since my post. Maybe they
    > figured it out. We shall see, I like to make sure and follow up on issues
    > like this. If anything to find out what the problem was.
    >
    > Brad
    >
    > Rob wrote:
    >> Hi Bradley
    >>
    >> Excuse my inability to write in complete sentences and correct English
    >> yesterday as we had a long day migrating a system.
    >>
    >> What I actually meant to say was:
    >>
    >> a) CCSID. Is the submitted job running under a different CCSID and
    >> could this be causing the issue? Is there a non standard character in
    >> the name?
    >>
    >> b) Is there a spurious QATOCHOST on the system that is somehow being
    >> used instead of the one in QUSRSYS? This would obviously point to the
    >> submitted job having a different library list. (ps. I don't know for
    >> certain it uses QATOCHOST so I'm assuming here)
    >>
    >> But my final suspicion is that it's a more deep-rooted than either of
    >> these.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Rob.
    >>
    >> Bradley V. Stone wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a user using an application of mine that uses the GetHostByName
    >>>API to retrieve the IP address of a domain.
    >>>
    >>>Interactivley the program works great.
    >>>
    >>>If they submit the exact same job to batch, it errors on on
    >>>GetHostByName saying it can't resolve the host. And it's only on one
    >>>specific host, not every one used.
    >>>
    >>>What's weird is it's only in batch. The error spit out refers to the
    >>>domain used as well, and it doesn't look like there is any garbage in
    >>>the field at all that could cause issues (like some parms do in batch).
    >>>
    >>>Anywhere else I can look? I don't see how it would be any different.

+ Reply to Thread