Opening URL information from inside RPG program - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Opening URL information from inside RPG program - IBM AS400 ; Inside an RPG program, I need to open an address like the following line: http://10.97.234.30/get?OID4.1.13= The target server then returns a string of data that I can process. The problem is that I haven't been able to figure out how ...

  1. Opening URL information from inside RPG program

    Inside an RPG program, I need to open an address like the following
    line:
    http://10.97.234.30/get?OID4.1.13=

    The target server then returns a string of data that I can process. The
    problem is that I haven't been able to figure out how to open the
    address like a web browser would do.

    I've got Scott Klement's tutorial on TCP/IP stuff and have used it to
    communicate with Digital Alphanet signboards in the past. (They work
    great!).

    This one seems a little over the top on the need.

    BTW: The server in question is a Proliphix IP-addressable thermostat.
    We need to draw the temperature information into the AS/400 programs to
    monitor for rising temperatures in order to be compliant to the
    corporate requirements for SOX.

    Jay

  2. Re: Opening URL information from inside RPG program

    Tegger,

    It looks like what you need to do is learn about TCP/IP sockets programming.

    You can find all of the information you could want (plus some example
    programs) at

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...oxoverview.htm

    HTTP communications are typically done on port 80 and you can do a google
    search to investigate how to compose a proper HTTP GET request and what a
    valid HTTP response will look like. Just start looking for stuff like
    "sample HTTP get request"

    Good Luck. It will look much harder than it really is. Just be patient and
    in a couple of hours you'll probably be able to get it working.

    tegger@comcast.net wrote:

    > Inside an RPG program, I need to open an address like the following
    > line:
    > http://10.97.234.30/get?OID4.1.13=
    >
    > The target server then returns a string of data that I can process. The
    > problem is that I haven't been able to figure out how to open the
    > address like a web browser would do.
    >
    > I've got Scott Klement's tutorial on TCP/IP stuff and have used it to
    > communicate with Digital Alphanet signboards in the past. (They work
    > great!).
    >
    > This one seems a little over the top on the need.
    >
    > BTW: The server in question is a Proliphix IP-addressable thermostat.
    > We need to draw the temperature information into the AS/400 programs to
    > monitor for rising temperatures in order to be compliant to the
    > corporate requirements for SOX.
    >
    > Jay

+ Reply to Thread