Two Part Question Regarding Saves - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Two Part Question Regarding Saves - IBM AS400 ; Is their a built in function to encrypt a full system save (i.e. go save). If not can anyone recomend any third party applications. A second question is if we would like to exclude certain libraries during a system save ...

  1. Two Part Question Regarding Saves

    Is their a built in function to encrypt a full system save (i.e. go
    save). If not can anyone recomend any third party applications.

    A second question is if we would like to exclude certain libraries
    during a system save is their a way to have the built in save program
    read from a file the list we would like to exclude (it is rather
    lenghty)? I have figured out how to manually type them in right before
    the save but i was hoping for something a little more fancy!

    Thanks for your help. I am very new to as/400 and my company is too
    cheap to buy some books on the subject for me (though they are sending
    me to classes in January...go figure).

  2. Re: Two Part Question Regarding Saves

    greggieFEN@gmail.com wrote:
    > Is their a built in function to encrypt a full system save (i.e. go
    > save). If not can anyone recomend any third party applications.

    Not yet available. You have at least 2 choices :

    1) IBM offers a tape drive with built-in encryption function. U must
    stick to this tape drive for save and restore.

    2) 3rd-party encryption s/w for saving data. Go to www.google.com and
    do a search with keywords "iseries encryption save" or some such.

    > Thanks for your help. I am very new to as/400 and my company is too
    > cheap to buy some books on the subject for me (though they are sending
    > me to classes in January...go figure).

    Some good resources for iSeries technical knowledge are at these web
    sites:

    http://www.as400pro.com/servlet/sql.viewCats?Type=T

    http://www.itjungle.com/fhg/fhgindex.html

    http://www.mcpressonline.com/ and look in "Feature Sections" on the
    left side of the page or do an advanced search

    Satid S.

  3. Re: Two Part Question Regarding Saves

    greggieFEN@gmail.com wrote:
    > Is their a built in function to encrypt a full system save (i.e. go
    > save). If not can anyone recomend any third party applications.

    what release are you? On the latest release, v5r4, you can save the
    system to virtual tape and then encrypt somehow the IFS file that
    contains the virtual tape save.
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstract...7164.html?Open

    > A second question is if we would like to exclude certain libraries
    > during a system save is their a way to have the built in save program
    > read from a file the list we would like to exclude (it is rather
    > lenghty)? I have figured out how to manually type them in right before
    > the save but i was hoping for something a little more fancy!

    you can have a CL program that reads the file, then have your CL
    program compose the SAVLIB command string, then call QCMDEXC to run
    that command string. If you need help with the CL code just ask. This
    is a pretty standard way of doing what you want.

    -Steve

  4. Re: Two Part Question Regarding Saves

    Thank you guys so much for the quick and informative responses.

    Steve Richter wrote:
    > greggieFEN@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Is their a built in function to encrypt a full system save (i.e. go
    > > save). If not can anyone recomend any third party applications.

    > what release are you? On the latest release, v5r4, you can save the
    > system to virtual tape and then encrypt somehow the IFS file that
    > contains the virtual tape save.
    > http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstract...7164.html?Open
    >

    > > A second question is if we would like to exclude certain libraries
    > > during a system save is their a way to have the built in save program
    > > read from a file the list we would like to exclude (it is rather
    > > lenghty)? I have figured out how to manually type them in right before
    > > the save but i was hoping for something a little more fancy!

    > you can have a CL program that reads the file, then have your CL
    > program compose the SAVLIB command string, then call QCMDEXC to run
    > that command string. If you need help with the CL code just ask. This
    > is a pretty standard way of doing what you want.
    >
    > -Steve

  5. Re: Two Part Question Regarding Saves

    wrote in message
    news:1163051028.604145.302330@h54g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    | Is their a built in function to encrypt a full system save (i.e. go
    | save). If not can anyone recomend any third party applications.
    |
    | A second question is if we would like to exclude certain libraries
    | during a system save is their a way to have the built in save
    program
    | read from a file the list we would like to exclude (it is rather
    | lenghty)? I have figured out how to manually type them in right
    before
    | the save but i was hoping for something a little more fancy!
    |
    | Thanks for your help. I am very new to as/400 and my company is too
    | cheap to buy some books on the subject for me (though they are
    sending
    | me to classes in January...go figure).

    One thing to think about.

    If there are hundreds of libs you may exceed the parameter size of a
    single save lib command.

    You can get around this by creating a program that uses the DSPOBJD
    command to build a list of all lib objects and then save each in-turn
    after checking if they are in your exclude list.

    This can be easily done in CL by reading a join logical file linking
    the library object description file with the exclude table using the
    join default outer join.

    Mike Sicilian

  6. Re: Two Part Question Regarding Saves

    You might want to take a look at API QSRSAVO for selective saves. In
    V5R4 API QSRRSTO was introduced for selective restores.

    --
    Rodney A Johnson
    Technical Team Lead for i5/OS (AS/400) Spool

    my employer, IBM. All responsibility for the statements
    sender.

+ Reply to Thread