Program creation process ends with message: Receiver value too small to hold result - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Program creation process ends with message: Receiver value too small to hold result - IBM AS400 ; Hi all, I am currently working under V5R4M0 and I create my program objects with TGTRLS(V5R2M0) for my customerīs sake. I write most programs using SQLRPGLE. Most of the programs are created using modules. The compilation of the modules works ...

  1. Program creation process ends with message: Receiver value too small to hold result

    Hi all,

    I am currently working under V5R4M0 and I create my program objects
    with TGTRLS(V5R2M0) for my customerīs sake.
    I write most programs using SQLRPGLE. Most of the programs are created
    using modules.
    The compilation of the modules works fine.
    When I use the CRTPGM command, the creation process is aborted because
    of the message:
    Receiver value too small to hold result

    Mind you, this is not a runtime error I get but a COMPILE TIME ERROR.

    I have tried to find a resoltion for this on the web but no success.

    I hope anyone can shed some light on this for me.

    Kind regards,
    René Simons
    The Netherlands

  2. Re: Program creation process ends with message: Receiver value too small to hold result

    R.Simons@QDL.NL wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am currently working under V5R4M0 and I create my program objects
    > with TGTRLS(V5R2M0) for my customerīs sake.
    > I write most programs using SQLRPGLE. Most of the programs are created
    > using modules.
    > The compilation of the modules works fine.
    > When I use the CRTPGM command, the creation process is aborted because
    > of the message:
    > Receiver value too small to hold result
    >
    > Mind you, this is not a runtime error I get but a COMPILE TIME ERROR.

    teminology please!! Modules are compiled, programs are created.

    > I have tried to find a resoltion for this on the web but no success.
    >
    > I hope anyone can shed some light on this for me.

    Are you saying it works when TGTRLS(*CURRENT) is used? Just to prove
    that someone in your shop has not customized the CRTPGM command, you
    have to run QSYS/CRTPGM and get the same error.

    -Steve

  3. Re: Program creation process ends with message: Receiver value too small to hold result

    Steve Richter schreef:

    > R.Simons@QDL.NL wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I am currently working under V5R4M0 and I create my program objects
    > > with TGTRLS(V5R2M0) for my customerīs sake.
    > > I write most programs using SQLRPGLE. Most of the programs are created
    > > using modules.
    > > The compilation of the modules works fine.
    > > When I use the CRTPGM command, the creation process is aborted because
    > > of the message:
    > > Receiver value too small to hold result
    > >
    > > Mind you, this is not a runtime error I get but a COMPILE TIME ERROR.

    > teminology please!! Modules are compiled, programs are created.
    >

    > > I have tried to find a resoltion for this on the web but no success.
    > >
    > > I hope anyone can shed some light on this for me.

    > Are you saying it works when TGTRLS(*CURRENT) is used? Just to prove
    > that someone in your shop has not customized the CRTPGM command, you
    > have to run QSYS/CRTPGM and get the same error.
    >
    > -Steve

    Steve,
    Thanks for the terminogoly reminder. That really helped me out
    TGTRLS(*CURRENT) and/or QSYS does not resolve the problem. I already
    tried that.
    Thanks again.

  4. Re: Program creation process ends with message: Receiver value too small to hold result

    "Steve Richter" schreef in bericht
    news:1162820548.485267.215520@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

    R.Simons@QDL.NL wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am currently working under V5R4M0 and I create my program objects
    > with TGTRLS(V5R2M0) for my customerīs sake.
    > I write most programs using SQLRPGLE. Most of the programs are created
    > using modules.
    > The compilation of the modules works fine.
    > When I use the CRTPGM command, the creation process is aborted because
    > of the message:
    > Receiver value too small to hold result
    >
    > Mind you, this is not a runtime error I get but a COMPILE TIME ERROR.

    > teminology please!! Modules are compiled, programs are created.

    What does the 'crt' in 'crtrpgmod' stand for? In my understanding modules
    are
    created by compiling the source.

  5. Re: Program creation process ends with message: Receiver value too small to hold result

    Cyfisto wrote:
    > "Steve Richter" schreef in bericht
    > news:1162820548.485267.215520@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    > R.Simons@QDL.NL wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I am currently working under V5R4M0 and I create my program objects
    > > with TGTRLS(V5R2M0) for my customerīs sake.
    > > I write most programs using SQLRPGLE. Most of the programs are created
    > > using modules.
    > > The compilation of the modules works fine.
    > > When I use the CRTPGM command, the creation process is aborted because
    > > of the message:
    > > Receiver value too small to hold result
    > >
    > > Mind you, this is not a runtime error I get but a COMPILE TIME ERROR.

    > > teminology please!! Modules are compiled, programs are created.

    > What does the 'crt' in 'crtrpgmod' stand for? In my understanding modules
    > are
    > created by compiling the source.

    I know, I was thinking the same thing. Even compile is not the best
    word since translate, as in translating from one language to another,
    might describe the process better.

  6. Re: Program creation process ends with message: Receiver value too small to hold result

    "Steve Richter" schreef in bericht
    news:1162848578.422049.303490@m73g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...

    Cyfisto wrote:
    > "Steve Richter" schreef in bericht
    > news:1162820548.485267.215520@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    > R.Simons@QDL.NL wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I am currently working under V5R4M0 and I create my program objects
    > > with TGTRLS(V5R2M0) for my customerīs sake.
    > > I write most programs using SQLRPGLE. Most of the programs are created
    > > using modules.
    > > The compilation of the modules works fine.
    > > When I use the CRTPGM command, the creation process is aborted because
    > > of the message:
    > > Receiver value too small to hold result
    > >
    > > Mind you, this is not a runtime error I get but a COMPILE TIME ERROR.

    > > teminology please!! Modules are compiled, programs are created.

    > What does the 'crt' in 'crtrpgmod' stand for? In my understanding modules
    > are
    > created by compiling the source.

    >I know, I was thinking the same thing. Even compile is not the best
    >word since translate, as in translating from one language to another,
    >might describe the process better.

    But still, the module is not the object that's being translated. The
    source is being translated and, as a result, the module is created.
    (BTW, I'm not trying to make a big issue out of this discussion,
    I'm just having fun.:-))

  7. Re: Program creation process ends with message: Receiver value too small to hold result

    Cyfisto schreef:

    > "Steve Richter" schreef in bericht
    > news:1162848578.422049.303490@m73g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    > Cyfisto wrote:
    > > "Steve Richter" schreef in bericht
    > > news:1162820548.485267.215520@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > >
    > > R.Simons@QDL.NL wrote:
    > > > Hi all,
    > > >
    > > > I am currently working under V5R4M0 and I create my program objects
    > > > with TGTRLS(V5R2M0) for my customerīs sake.
    > > > I write most programs using SQLRPGLE. Most of the programs are created
    > > > using modules.
    > > > The compilation of the modules works fine.
    > > > When I use the CRTPGM command, the creation process is aborted because
    > > > of the message:
    > > > Receiver value too small to hold result
    > > >
    > > > Mind you, this is not a runtime error I get but a COMPILE TIME ERROR.

    > > > teminology please!! Modules are compiled, programs are created.

    > > What does the 'crt' in 'crtrpgmod' stand for? In my understanding modules
    > > are
    > > created by compiling the source.

    > >I know, I was thinking the same thing. Even compile is not the best
    > >word since translate, as in translating from one language to another,
    > >might describe the process better.

    > But still, the module is not the object that's being translated. The
    > source is being translated and, as a result, the module is created.
    > (BTW, I'm not trying to make a big issue out of this discussion,
    > I'm just having fun.:-))

    Hi,
    I guess your projects all make their deadlines. You have so much time
    on your hands.
    But I guess it is all blah blah to hide the fact that you do not have
    a proper answer to my question. Like me. Still.
    Kind regards,
    Rene

  8. Re: Program creation process ends with message: Receiver value too small to hold result

    R.Simons@QDL.NL wrote:
    > Cyfisto schreef:
    >
    > > "Steve Richter" schreef in bericht
    > > news:1162848578.422049.303490@m73g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
    > >
    > > Cyfisto wrote:
    > > > "Steve Richter" schreef in bericht
    > > > news:1162820548.485267.215520@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

    > > > What does the 'crt' in 'crtrpgmod' stand for? In my understanding modules
    > > > are
    > > > created by compiling the source.

    > > >I know, I was thinking the same thing. Even compile is not the best
    > > >word since translate, as in translating from one language to another,
    > > >might describe the process better.

    > > But still, the module is not the object that's being translated. The
    > > source is being translated and, as a result, the module is created.
    > > (BTW, I'm not trying to make a big issue out of this discussion,
    > > I'm just having fun.:-))

    > Hi,
    > I guess your projects all make their deadlines. You have so much time
    > on your hands.
    > But I guess it is all blah blah to hide the fact that you do not have
    > a proper answer to my question. Like me. Still.

    you have my sympathy vote. Since you are on v5r4 you have IBM support?
    Anytime an IBM command bombs I assume there is a PTF needed.

    -Steve

  9. Re: Program creation process ends with message: Receiver value too small to hold result

    schreef in bericht
    news:1162851222.313762.86170@e3g2000cwe.googlegrou ps.com...

    Cyfisto schreef:

    > "Steve Richter" schreef in bericht
    > news:1162848578.422049.303490@m73g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    > Cyfisto wrote:
    > > "Steve Richter" schreef in bericht
    > > news:1162820548.485267.215520@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > >
    > > R.Simons@QDL.NL wrote:
    > > > Hi all,
    > > >
    > > > I am currently working under V5R4M0 and I create my program objects
    > > > with TGTRLS(V5R2M0) for my customerīs sake.
    > > > I write most programs using SQLRPGLE. Most of the programs are created
    > > > using modules.
    > > > The compilation of the modules works fine.
    > > > When I use the CRTPGM command, the creation process is aborted because
    > > > of the message:
    > > > Receiver value too small to hold result
    > > >
    > > > Mind you, this is not a runtime error I get but a COMPILE TIME ERROR.

    > > > teminology please!! Modules are compiled, programs are created.

    > > What does the 'crt' in 'crtrpgmod' stand for? In my understanding
    > > modules
    > > are
    > > created by compiling the source.

    > >I know, I was thinking the same thing. Even compile is not the best
    > >word since translate, as in translating from one language to another,
    > >might describe the process better.

    > But still, the module is not the object that's being translated. The
    > source is being translated and, as a result, the module is created.
    > (BTW, I'm not trying to make a big issue out of this discussion,
    > I'm just having fun.:-))

    Hi,
    I guess your projects all make their deadlines. You have so much time
    on your hands.
    But I guess it is all blah blah to hide the fact that you do not have
    a proper answer to my question. Like me. Still.
    Kind regards,
    Rene
    --------
    1. During my time off I have no deadlines (not good for the heart).
    2. I'm not hiding anything. If I had the answer, I would have told
    you. If I don't tell you the answer, I don't have it.
    3. I'm sorry if I frustrated you by just enjoying myself. That was
    never my intention.
    4. APAR SE26149 looks like your problem
    (MCH1210 in CRTPGM) and has been solved by ptf
    SI25210. There's no guarantee of course this ptf will
    solve your problem, but it might be worth a try.

    Regards,
    Rene (no I'm not making fun of you, that's my real name)

  10. Re: Program creation process ends with message: Receiver value too small to hold result

    Cyfisto,
    Problem is solved.
    It turned out that one of the modules was cracking up the CREATE of the
    program.
    I RECOMPILED the module and created the program...... no more worries.
    Still strange that the creation process did not complain in a different
    manner.
    Btw. Frustration is over now.
    Regards,
    René